• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Capcom continues to dig their own grave

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Capcom now says "social" games are the future (read meaning mobile, web browser and digital console games).

They also add that monetisation (read microtransactions and DLC) will be a vital part of this future too.

Rest in peace, Capcom.

Source

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
H5MkB.gif

Shinra

Banned
Awards
they'd better sell Megaman to Nintendo now because for better or for worse, if they do go under we'll still see the possibility of a megaman game in the future and there's good sign that Nintendo would do something with it like they did for Donkey Kong. as for other games I'd like to see an IP like Viewtiful Joe go to something like say platinum studios because if anyone was to capture the epicness of the VJ franchise it would be platinum and honestly Namco could do great things with street fighter because they have their fair share of fighting games like Soul calibur.

Noel

Awards
they'd better sell Megaman to Nintendo now because for better or for worse, if they do go under we'll still see the possibility of a megaman game in the future and there's good sign that Nintendo would do something with it like they did for Donkey Kong. as for other games I'd like to see an IP like Viewtiful Joe go to something like say platinum studios because if anyone was to capture the epicness of the VJ franchise it would be platinum and honestly Namco could do great things with street fighter because they have their fair share of fighting games like Soul calibur.

You already have The Mighty Number 9 being developed by Comcast, whom is leaded by the creator of mega man. Since the creator quit he wanted to make a successor of mega man which will be this game.

It isn't really technically VJ but there is The Wonderful 101. It's a VJ and Pikman hybrid. Made by Platinum btw.

Namco is developing a Tekken x Street Fighter. As in the game with the Tekken Mechanics. I hope that's all they do at this point.

Honestly Capcom should take a deep breath from their games and realizing making new versions of their games aren't going to give them profit.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Out of all the major Japanese game companies, Namco is the only one that's still making good decisions. Yes, the future of gaming in Japan will probably involve mobile phones, web browsers and micro-transactions. But for the western markets? No way. And Namco is smart enough to realise that (they've been my favourite game company since forever, so I'm happy they've not messed up yet).

If Capcom going under as a result of this major miscalculation, maybe it will be for the greater good. Other companies that are very capable, like Square Enix and Konami, are heading in the same direction but they've still got time to open their eyes. Capcom seem doomed.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
This was reported on a long time ago by a different source. Either way, this simply isn't happening. Capcom's strength in the fighter genre is too strong to simply let go of to just make everything a social game. They've far too many IPs to simply go social only, even if they don't use many of them currently.

Out of all the major Japanese game companies, Namco is the only one that's still making good decisions.

lol okay.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It seems that Capcom has recognized how other companies, who involve social features by their definition, have been successful in the industry along with their own success. Implementing social communication has and will forever change some of their franchises. Monster Hunter is a franchise that now allows players to play wireless and hunt together instead of being a standalone single player game. This change has increased Capcom's user base for the Monster Hunter franchise. This type of success is just one underlying reason why social communication could benefit Capcom's other and future franchises.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Capcom now says "social" games are the future (read meaning mobile, web browser and digital console games).
Nothing wrong with this, really. The Japanese market has "morphed", so to say, during the last decade. The home console market passed towards the portable console market and now it is transferring to the mobile market. They are a business, they have to keep on a look-out as to what will stop making them a profit, what will continue and what in the future can assure them a profit.

They also add that monetisation (read microtransactions and DLC) will be a vital part of this future too.
To an extent. The World Ends With You - Live Remix - featured VERY expensive microtransactions and that stilled the game's user base to grow. Because of that, the game will cease to continue after February of this very year, so this is something Capcom can learn from, specially a game that was developed by a big Japanese video game company such as Square Enix.

if they do go under we'll still see the possibility of a megaman game in the future and there's good sign that Nintendo would do something with it like they did for Donkey Kong.
Yes. When it comes to reviving old IPs, Nintendo themselves or by outsourcing materials can make splendid works.

as for other games I'd like to see an IP like Viewtiful Joe go to something like say platinum studios because if anyone was to capture the epicness of the VJ franchise it would be platinum
I agree, Platinum has a nice background.

and honestly Namco could do great things with street fighter because they have their fair share of fighting games like Soul calibur.
If Namco made the Soul Calibur series, then they by all means should buy Streetfighter.

You already have The Mighty Number 9 being developed by Comcast, whom is leaded by the creator of mega man. Since the creator quit he wanted to make a successor of mega man which will be this game.
You must be referring to Keiji Inafune's Comcept, not Comcast. And what about there already being a "spiritual successor" to Megaman? Nintendo could buy it and make something out of it, such as Classic, X, Zero, Battle Network, Starforce and ZX games. The Mighty No. 9 is like Megaman's child, but Inafune-san will not (I hope) make a cheap, carbon copy. I am sure he will develop No. 9 with something that will distinguish it from any Megaman game.

It isn't really technically VJ but there is The Wonderful 101. It's a VJ and Pikman hybrid. Made by Platinum btw.
I have the game and played it to death, as they say, but Viewtiful Joe is more of a sidescroller, while The Wonderful 101 has more exploring elements.

Namco is developing a Tekken x Street Fighter. As in the game with the Tekken Mechanics. I hope that's all they do at this point.
So? They can still make two separate fighting game series.

Honestly Capcom should take a deep breath from their games and realizing making new versions of their games aren't going to give them profit.
They shall keep falling on the same stone. Like I said before: the X series was meant to stop after X5, but they made X6 and turned out to be one of the worst games in the X series.

But for the western markets? No way.
If they see they can exist without profits from the Western market, then they shall keep doing so. It is not like this is the first time. When gaming began, few to no Japanese were localized. Ever. But then the Western market began taking an interest into what Japan had to offer. Years passed and the Western market began receiving more and more works from Japanese companies. More years passed and games that were of high interest in Japan have now a even BIGGER interest here in the West (like The Legend of Zelda series and Golden Sun). But now the West is slowly getting less Japanese games, which how much of an uprising the mobile market over there has initiated, Japanese companies will begin to use more of their resources on mobile and app based type of games. Some of them, to continue with their Western market profits, have established and partenered with Western-based studios.

like Square Enix and Konami,
Hideo Kojima is still around (unless he decides to go independent). Mr. Kojima (as they call him in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker) is somewhat of an influential man in Konami. I am sure he will not let the company sorely focus on mobile games, and Konami will not let go of the Metal Gear franchise and they know it is one that will NEVER look good as a social game (and they have already experimented with that idea).

It seems that Capcom has recognized how other companies, who involve social features by their definition, have been successful in the industry along with their own success. Implementing social communication has and will forever change some of their franchises. Monster Hunter is a franchise that now allows players to play wireless and hunt together instead of being a standalone single player game. This change has increased Capcom's user base for the Monster Hunter franchise. This type of success is just one underlying reason why social communication could benefit Capcom's other and future franchises.
This post represents the idea of corporations nowadays: if it works, exploit it.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
For what it's worth, Wonder-Cheerleader, one of the random Wonderful Ones you get, has been confirmed to be Joe's girlfriend Silvia. She's also best friends with Wonder-Pink, one of the main characters. In fact, if you fail a QTE with Pink sometimes, you'll hear sped up dialogue which, when slowed down, is her talking to Silvia.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
If Namco made the Soul Calibur series, then they by all means should buy Streetfighter.

Based on that? Making a 2D fighter (even 2.5) is not the same as making a 3D fighter. If it comes to the point that Capcom has to sell Street Fighter, which I doubt, at least let it go to someone who also makes 2D fighters; better fighting games to boot. I may like Soul Calibur, but the dynamics of that game (even Tekken for that matter) are different than Street Fighter, no matter what superficial similarities they may have.

So? They can still make two separate fighting game series.

They already do.

Hideo Kojima is still around (unless he decides to go independent). Mr. Kojima (as they call him in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker) is somewhat of an influential man in Konami. I am sure he will not let the company sorely focus on mobile games, and Konami will not let go of the Metal Gear franchise and they know it is one that will NEVER look good as a social game (and they have already experimented with that idea).

This is really telling. Konami used to be known for more than just Metal Gear, and it goes to show how much they have fallen when that's all anybody really looks forward to from them anymore. Almost no one cares about their next 3D Castlevania game. Their Silent Hill games have also mostly been consistently mediocre for years.

While Capcom had a lot of its talent leave, iirc Konami still has certain talented individuals who worked on the old Silent Hill games, having them do nothing of worth. They were also one of the first to outsource one of their IP to a western dev, and from what I understand they purposely did this because they wanted the SH games to have a different feeling to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back