Film ► Cancelled Disney Movie - Princess Academy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
[video=youtube;OKozsJt9ntw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKozsJt9ntw[/video]

The storyboards in this video were going to be a Disney short movie in the style of Fantasia, but alas, it never came to be (all the potential merchandising opportunities gone...)

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Put on a Happy Face
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
Damn. That's a real shame. That idea has a lot of potential. Hell, they could have even made a series out of it. I really would have liked watching it. I like these kinds of concepts like House of Mouse that has various Disney characters join in one place and interact with one another. :'(

Tartarus

Bronze Member
  • Fairest of them All
No offense, but I'm pretty sure this was never connected to Disney at all. The concept was worked on by David Kawena (Google him, he's on deviantart.com and has his own blog, I think) and he approached Disney with the art as an idea for a TV series or something along those lines, but they weren't interested. There was definitely no intention for a movie on either part, and nothing to cancel.

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
No offense, but I'm pretty sure this was never connected to Disney at all. The concept was worked on by David Kawena (Google him, he's on deviantart.com and has his own blog, I think) and he approached Disney with the art as an idea for a TV series or something along those lines, but they weren't interested. There was definitely no intention for a movie on either part, and nothing to cancel.
Actually, the reason as to why this never gone through was partly because of the hand drawn animation division shutting down and the fact that David Kawena and his co-director snaked eachother. I highly doubt Disney would deny a profitable prospect like this. Alan Menken was expected to produce the score for this potential short.

Ballad of Caius

Put on a Happy Face
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
Actually, the reason as to why this never gone through was partly because of the hand drawn animation division shutting down and the fact that David Kawena and his co-director snaked eachother. I highly doubt Disney would deny a profitable prospect like this. Alan Menken was expected to produce the score for this potential short.
Damn. That makes it even sadder. :[

Tartarus

Bronze Member
  • Fairest of them All
Again, not to be mean, but that's not true. Something from the Facebook page of one of the artists involved, posted in 2012 (emphasis mine):

3 years ago, David Kawena and I created this project called Princess Academy for Disney. We wanted to create a very artistic, classy but also very funny hand drawn short. Eight times Academy Award winning composer, Alan Menken was very excited about the project and agreed to work on it the moment we would have green light from the studio.

After months working on it, with hundreds and hundreds of storyboards and concept art, the Disney Animation hand drawn studios closed its doors. So there was no point for us to even show that project. I believe this image shows very well the mixture of artistic, high standard and humour of the project. Hope you will like it. Feel free to click on the share button. ~ Olivier Ciappa
They never took this to Disney, so it was never "in the plans" for Disney to cancel. Maybe the two artists had it in their plans, but that's another thing. I heard the two artists had a falling out, too, but I've read that Disney doesn't consider pitches made by people outside the studio, so it wouldn't have mattered if hand-drawn animation was still alive.

Dandelion

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
  • Put That Thing Back Where It Came From
  • Keyblade Champion
  • O, Purest of Hearts
  • Key of Destiny
  • Savage Nymph
  • Come So Far
Was just about to post the same thing, this was never going to be a thing, though it had plenty of promise.

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
Again, not to be mean, but that's not true. Something from the Facebook page of one of the artists involved, posted in 2012 (emphasis mine):

They never took this to Disney, so it was never "in the plans" for Disney to cancel. Maybe the two artists had it in their plans, but that's another thing. I heard the two artists had a falling out, too, but I've read that Disney doesn't consider pitches made by people outside the studio, so it wouldn't have mattered if hand-drawn animation was still alive.
Come to think about it, that is a legitimate point: I went through the assumption (that plenty of websites had) that they actually worked at Disney at one point. Wow, I kinda feel a bit dumb by believing that this was legit. Cheers for the complete clarity!

Was just about to post the same thing, this was never going to be a thing, though it had plenty of promise.
After re-reading what Tatarus said, I suppose you both have a point. This concept literally has money printed all over it!