• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can you understand the story for KHIII only having played KH1 and KH2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

There has been a lot of other titles for the KH series, spanning across multiple devices. A lot of the story is chopped up between these games and so for someone who has only played the KH1 and KH2 games, do you think they will be able to understand the KH3 story as well as those who have played the other titles?

I know they are bringing out 1.5 and hopefully 2.5 before release of KH3, but will it be expected to have played these in order to get a good grasp of what the heck is going on xD?

RuffPuff

Filthy Turnip
Awards
No, you need to play the other games, or at least read what happened, to understand KH3. Anyone who comes into the game with only knowledge of KH1 and KH2 will be very, very confused.

Deinstar

Gunblade Master
It would be hard imo. I think that's the reason there doing the remix for the ps3. Trying to get all of the portable games caught up in case people haven't played them to prepare for kh3.

There are some really great youtube videos out there that tell the whole story of kingdom hearts leading up to kingdom hearts 3 in case you haven't played any of the portable games.

The kingdom hearts timeline released on Gametrailers not too long ago had an amazing way to describe the entire story thus far. I really suggest checking it out if you haven't played any of the portables to understand what's going on leading into Kingdom Hearts 3.

GameTrailers' KINGDOM HEARTS Timeline Released! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Decrith

No, I've played all the games, and I firmly believe that you need to play all of them. So yea, your best course of action is to buy 1.5 and 2.5 when they come out.

The spin-offs has so much content that it never really feels like one, regardless I think Nomura would want us to play 1.5 and 2.5 before jumping to 3.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Yeah, unfortunately it's kind of necessary. BBS and KH3D are particularly important; BBS is essentially KH0 and 3D drops a lot of story bombs. There's no way you can go into the game without being confused if you haven't at least watched the games on YT/read about them.

Youniquee

Awards
There has been a lot of other titles for the KH series, spanning across multiple devices. A lot of the story is chopped up between these games and so for someone who has only played the KH1 and KH2 games, do you think they will be able to understand the KH3 story as well as those who have played the other titles?

I know they are bringing out 1.5 and hopefully 2.5 before release of KH3, but will it be expected to have played these in order to get a good grasp of what the heck is going on xD?

Yeah, I agree with the others. You'll need to at least play BBS and KH:3D. You could always just watch them on YT (Which I did for KH3D and it's not as boring as I expected) or read up on them. But yeah, KH1 and KH2...that won't do.

Fortissimo

Absolutely not. Unless they did a bunch of flash back shiz, but it would still be pretty annoying. Especially since the bulk of people buying KH3 will most likely be veterans of the series.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Absolutely not. Unless they did a bunch of flash back shiz, but it would still be pretty annoying. Especially since the bulk of people buying KH3 will most likely be veterans of the series.

They could do something like the Memoirs/Chronicles from DDD again and integrate them into the journal/reports of KH III, that would at least help somewhat.

---

I agree with the things said already here. Days and Coded are a "nice to have" and probably would help to understand the story better, but they are not as essential as Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Its Hard to understand at time and i have em all lol.
I suggest if you don't want to buy multiple consoles and a slew of games or the HD remixes on the PS3 you can just use youtube to watch the cutscenes from the games...

Series Timeline:
Birth By Sleep
KH1
Chain of Memories | 358/2 Days (for the most part they run parallel)
KH2
Coded
KH3D
KHIII
(i think that all of them.

You can also watch GameTrailers Timeline which does a pretty good Job of putting the series into perspective...

Fortissimo

Its Hard to understand at time and i have em all lol.
I suggest if you don't want to buy multiple consoles and a slew of games or the HD remixes on the PS3 you can just use youtube to watch the cutscenes from the games...

Series Timeline:
Birth By Sleep
KH1
Chain of Memories | 358/2 Days (for the most part they run parallel)
KH2
Coded
KH3D
KHIII
(i think that all of them.

You can also watch GameTrailers Timeline which does a pretty good Job of putting the series into perspective...

Days does that weird thing and spans out over portions of 3 games.

I really liked Days and though it added a lot of meat to the overall plot. I honestly wouldn't mind getting some closure for Xion and to see how Lea interacts with Sora because of Roxas. I Dunno i think it will lead to some very interesting character development. If they even decided to touch on that subject (but why wouldn't they?) I think it's important to at least read up on what happened in Days.

Setsuna ♥

Awards
Lucky for you OP we have quite some time before KHIII will even be released so you can catch yourself up with the HD releases that come bundled with the handheld games you might have skipped out on. If you don't want to play them theres always "Movies" on YT for BBS and DDD consisting of all the story scenes or the Kingdom Hearts Timeline someone linked above.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Technically, yes. Watching the games on youtube, or reading up on the story details are ways that you can catch up with the series while only having playing KH1 and 2.

`3`

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
playing anything after kh2 will only make the series' plot more confusing and less charming. i envy you for having the opportunity to go into kh3 without any knowledge of all the convoluted nonsense that has plagued literally every game in the series post-kh2.

wolfshadow

Dont forget X for Japan on the pc. I mean it probably won't have to do with xehanorts saga, but you could say its before BBS.

Also I'm hoping they will add DDD's cutscenes to 2.5 to make the collection complete.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, it is impossible to go into KH3 without playing or at least researching what happened in the last four games.

Dont forget X for Japan on the pc. I mean it probably won't have to do with xehanorts saga, but you could say its before BBS.

Also I'm hoping they will add DDD's cutscenes to 2.5 to make the collection complete.

Kingdom Hearts chi is not canon and is only a social game.

Wooly

As someone who is probably going to get an Xbox One, what would you suggest I do since there are no plans to even put the remixes on 360/X1. My ps2 broke lol. Is it just enough to play 1 and 2?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As someone who is probably going to get an Xbox One, what would you suggest I do since there are no plans to even put the remixes on 360/X1. My ps2 broke lol. Is it just enough to play 1 and 2?

It is not enough to play KH1 and KH2. Read the responses in this thread for explanation.

Silent hero_

Awards

Like it was said before, instead of buying the side-games and their corresponding handled consoles, you could just watch atleast BBS and DDD's story on youtube.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
You're really going to want to play the other games but...

Then you're going to want to watch youtube. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back