• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can you help us decide on a title?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What should the title be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Aight, so here's what's going on. The dude I'm helping out in making a video game, VodkaOptic, decided that his game needs a new name (the original name being "Adolescent Battle Squad", in case you need to know) and he and I have both thought of new names. However, he's not 100% sure with what to use, so I was hoping to ask you guys for your thoughts on what you like more.

Here's a brief synopsis of the game to help get a feel:

--
The RPG is set on an alternate Earth where magic exists, and humans discriminate against magic-users called "Vessels". The world has been thrown into a post-apocalyptic scenario with multiple factions battling. Tensions are high as the three main characters (themselves being Vessels) travel to learn about each faction, such as the Council of Gods, who look down upon Earth from orbit in a space station.
If the delicate balance of power between factions is broken it means all-out war between the ordinary humans and Vessels.
--

The titles we've come up with are "Adolescence" and "Tenebrand".

The first title, "Adolescence", is because the series will star teenagers.

The second title, it is a portmanteau of "tenebrae" (Latin for "darkness") and "brand" (as in a mark), and so mean's "mark of darkness".

VodkaOptic is already planning on having the term used in-game.

My own thoughts on the titles:
"Tenebrand" to me feels more memorable and marketable, and invokes a certain feeling closer to the game's story.
"Adolescence" I don't think would work out in the long run as a series title, and would work better as the first game's subtitle.

EDIT: After making the poll, VodkaOptic came up with another title:

Tenebrand: Awakening

Since I can't edit the poll, if you want to vote on this please comment.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
After reading your ideas and thinking about it, I have to agree on Adolescence being better as the first game's subtitle, while Tenebrand would be a unique, marketable series name. That way you could continue the lore into sequels and still reference 'Tenebrand' as well as possiblly having a theme of growing up in the series as well as the games titles?

I wish you luck no matter what you choose :3

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
My vote is for Tenebrand: Adolescence. Tenebrand is a unique title that holds a lot of weight in the already established story that is there. I do like the use of Adolescence in the subtitle though, it adds something nostalgic to the sound of the title, and even if this isn't something that would become a series, it's a subtitle that works well regardless.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I am voting for Tenebrand.

The name is more original and stands out to me more. On one side, Tenebrand doesn't necessarily fit game's description, but Adolescence just seems boring and could give the wrong impression for the game.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Tenebrand: Adolescence gives you a brand under Tenebrand, and also an identifier in the subtitle. The only risk you run is making it sound like a sequel instead of the first game, and with such a small game, it'll be exceptionally hard to get people to identify it as such. Going the route Horizon Zero Dawn did and removing the colon is the better option if you use that title, therefore calling it Tenebrand Adolescence. The small details make an incredible difference.

Tenebrand is good as well. It's the first time you're doing this, and it makes that clear without having any fancy subtitle, and it communicates the genre pretty well.

Adolescence is not a good name though. It's too simple and recognizable as a word, and doesn't communicate the game effectively based on your description.

Speaking of the synopsis, I know you guys still have a ways to go with development, but if you complete the game and put it out, I would like to offer the friendly suggestion of revising it. It needs to pop more, show how it's different. What separates it from any other generic magic segregation story? Just something to think about when you get to that point, I think. I don't mean to tell you guys what to do, but again, the little things in terms of messaging make a big difference.

Best of luck, hope something I said helps.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Naturally, after already making the poll, VodkaOptic thought of another title: Tenebrand: Awakening. I really should have put an "other" option just in case something like this happened.

Tenebrand: Adolescence gives you a brand under Tenebrand, and also an identifier in the subtitle. The only risk you run is making it sound like a sequel instead of the first game, and with such a small game, it'll be exceptionally hard to get people to identify it as such. Going the route Horizon Zero Dawn did and removing the colon is the better option if you use that title, therefore calling it Tenebrand Adolescence. The small details make an incredible difference.

Tenebrand is good as well. It's the first time you're doing this, and it makes that clear without having any fancy subtitle, and it communicates the genre pretty well.

Adolescence is not a good name though. It's too simple and recognizable as a word, and doesn't communicate the game effectively based on your description.

Speaking of the synopsis, I know you guys still have a ways to go with development, but if you complete the game and put it out, I would like to offer the friendly suggestion of revising it. It needs to pop more, show how it's different. What separates it from any other generic magic segregation story? Just something to think about when you get to that point, I think. I don't mean to tell you guys what to do, but again, the little things in terms of messaging make a big difference.

Best of luck, hope something I said helps.
We'll take the colon and synopsis thing into account.

Thanks to everyone so far!

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Tenebrand: Adolescence.
It sounds like a title I would like to see, has a good ring to it. :)

Muke

whatever
Awards
Voted for Tenebrand: Adolescence. Adolescence alone sounds way too boring to me and doesn't really interest me in any way, whereas I think "oh, sounds interesting and unique" while reading the former.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I don't think the word "Adolescence" is going to attract older audiences. It just gives the initial reaction of "I need teenagers with attitude" in my head which seems kind of silly; and while your game DOES involve teenagers, so do a lot of other games, and bringing attention to them kind of turns me off as a gamer. I like the other title though, Tenebrand. It's mysterious, makes me want to know what it is, and the inner etymologist in me applauds the effort. I would avoid using semi-colons, because that always leads audiences into thinking it's a sequel, or there's more than one game. So rather than that, try a subtitle, like:

Tenebrand
Awakening
(or whatever you decide)
It's just an aesthetics choice.

Last edited:

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeah, I'd also say get rid of the semi-colon now that I think about it, because of obvious reasons stated by members above.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Man, I had the poll last longer than I thought. Everybody already had their say, so screw waiting for that to close!

We've decided on "Tenebrand: Awakening"! I believe the game creator still has it with a colon, despite the pleas not to do so. *shrugs* In the end I doubt it would make a difference, but he probably should have listened anyway.

make game first, title later
Easier said than done. When writing anything, you'll either start with the title, character, gameplay, or basic plot. And no matter which one you start with, you'll always struggle with the other three. XD

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Easier said than done. When writing anything, you'll either start with the title, character, gameplay, or basic plot. And no matter which one you start with, you'll always struggle with the other three. XD

His point is fair. It's much harder to develop a game than to brainstorm a title. Just like how you title an essay last. Your game can change so much based on programming limitations.

In fact, most people end up changing the title various times due to how much the game can change from its original design/idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back