• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can too much of a good thing be bad in gaming?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
Hopefully this will start a deep discussion.

Using kingdom hearts 3, sonic mania, fallout 76 and god of war as points of reference. So I will be using them mostly in this debate.

Over the past few months, I have been looking at things that people want. Good story, challenging gameplay, gameplay design, and of course nostalgia for certain game series.

The thing I noticed with gaming in general actually started because of sonic mania. There was a YouTube that explained too much nostalgia can lead to a bad thing. Lack of creativity and scared to try new things because of fans.

Because of watching that video, it made me look at other things that gamers want. Like can too much nostalgia be a bad thing, can a videogame actually be overdesign, can something challenging at 1st can become not fun & just too hard? Too much in story is tricky to talk about, so I won't be going there.

To make it more simpler to everyone so no one gets confused, Can a game have too much nostalgia/too much challenging/have a overdesign in gameplay?

It would be of great help if you know games that fit too much in game for one or all of the categories I said.

Sorry for sounding confusing, just thought I could best address this as possible.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
There was a YouTube that explained too much nostalgia can lead to a bad thing. Lack of creativity and scared to try new things because of fans.
I'm gonna enter here and discuss. I think Sonic Mania is an homage to the original Sonic game and the genre it belongs to inside the Sonic franchise: 2D Sonic. It's also an homage with its own thing, so you could say that yes, it has nostalgia, but it also has unique properties. And remember, Sonic Mania was made by the team of people that pitched Sega the Sonic the Hedgehog port to I think was either iOS or Android, so it kinda makes sense they would use the first Sonic as a starting point to an original project, especially a project that's sole purpose is to serve as a perfect 2D Sonic game.

can a videogame actually be overdesign,
Yes. This is what happened with Sonic '06. It was too ambitious for its own good, which is why it was so buggy and glitched: too many mechanics, the game was rushed, so beta testing was axed.

can something challenging at 1st can become not fun & just too hard?
Yes: *points at KINGDOM HEARTS optional superbosses*

Too much in story is tricky to talk about, so I won't be going there.
It's not too tricky, actually. The average AAA video game title tends to have a 40 hour long standard campaign, meaning you have 40 hours worth of time in order to tell a story, flesh it out alongside its characters and neatly close it. This is why sometimes games have lore-heavy sidequests and post-game content: because there's just no time to cram in the full story inside of it.

Unless, of course, you're FINAL FANTASY Tactics.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Like can too much nostalgia be a bad thing, can a videogame actually be overdesign, can something challenging at 1st can become not fun & just too hard? Too much in story is tricky to talk about, so I won't be going there.

To make it more simpler to everyone so no one gets confused, Can a game have too much nostalgia/too much challenging/have a overdesign in gameplay?
Honestly nostalgia can be both good and bad when it comes to gaming.

For the people who are actually creating the game it can be very helpful when making a new entry into a series or remaking a game as their is already existing fans of the game/series so that popularity going to be quite helpful in the long run when it comes to the getting people to actually buy the game in the first place after all whether a person likes the game or not the company still going to make a profit of them since they bought in the first place. Although the bad thing about this is that sometimes when a game developer realise they can profit of the game name alone then some developers might start to get lazy and start to cut corners to get the job done quicker or in some cases they may tend to rehash old ideas instead of trying to come up with new exciting ideas that could actually make the game better than before since they might think. ” If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

It great when you buy a game and it lives up to the nostalgia or perhaps is even better than before as it can bring back fond memories of the first time you played a game/series and after you finished the game it can make you want more content which is great especially if there are plans for more games in the future.

However there can also be a downside to having too much nostalgia for a game, as it can sometimes make people too critical of a game and if a game doesn’t exactly live up to what someone remembers or expected it can make them view the game as bad even if it might be an good game overall. On the other hand it could also make people feel let down or disappointed since it wasn’t what they hoped for.

D

Deleted member 263385

Yeah oversaturation can be very unhealthy just look at ff7 and ff15 being milked to death.

Back