• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can Kairi be a Guardian of Light when she is already a Princess of Heart?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

blksabbath74

Just watched the DDD movie over the weekend...

At the end there, it seemed like they were saying that if they don't put together the 7 Guardians of Light, that Xehanort could just exploit the 7 Princesses of Heart instead, and further, that they needed a GoL to safegaurd each PoH.

Now, obviously Kairi is a keyblade weilder, but does that mean she's necessarily going to be a Guardian?

Excluding Kairi, that gives you a round 7...

Sora
Riku
Mickey
Aqua
Terra
Ventus
Axel

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Before Kairi comes in during the secret ending, that sequence is refered to as "Another Guardian of Light" implying that she in fact is one already, but at this point in time, we don't know much about them. All we know is that a GoL, as the name implies, protects the light. What criteria are set for them hasn't been established so it can't really be said who can or can't be one (well, except for the obviously evil people) at this point.

Imo, I don't think her already being a princess would interfere. Although, strickly looking from the point of view of Xehanort's plan, it's kind of redundant because Kairi's a usable ingrediant for X-Blade stew one way or another. It was briefly touched on in the thread about Kairi's future development, but chances are that she'll be a Princess and a Guardian at the same time to set her up as some super special awesome Deus Ex Machina plot device.

blksabbath74

Everything Ruran said, but also Terra's currently in Xehanort's pocket so, I'm gonna strike him from the list.

That makes sense, assuming Terra to be one of the Xehanort condoms...

Having said that, when Mickey was counting up, he counted himself, Sora, Riku, 'hs three friends' which I assume to be Terra, Aqua and Ventus, and one other.

Also, it would be interesting to use Kairi as a vehicle to actually utilize and develop the Princesses of Heart...

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Personally, I like the idea of Kairi being both. I mean, either way she really needs to learn how to defend herself. But I like the idea of her being her own protector, so to speak. She's been wanting to be active for a long time now, so I think it's long overdue that she get this chance.

Plus, her being both might hopefully give her some nice character development and importance: something she's severely lacking at the moment.

And technically, I think there might have always been something interesting about Kairi's role as a PoH. After all, the glass case that was intended for her at Hollow Bastion (during KHI) was separated from all of the other ones, so that might just mean something. There's also a slim chance that Kairi might be The Key to Return Hearts...

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
As has been stated, GoL-ness and PoH-dom are not mutually exclusive. Besides, it's actually a good move at least for her; with a Keyblade and some skills to defend herself with, she is less likely to end up as an ingredient of the X-blade soup compared to all other PoH who don't fight and able to defend them at the same time.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
That makes sense, assuming Terra to be one of the Xehanort condoms...

Having said that, when Mickey was counting up, he counted himself, Sora, Riku, 'hs three friends' which I assume to be Terra, Aqua and Ventus, and one other.

Right, but I wouldn't have said anything about counting Terra himself out if Xehanort hadn't responded and debunked Terra being a possibility immediately after Mickey said that.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Right, but I wouldn't have said anything about counting Terra himself out if Xehanort hadn't responded and debunked Terra being a possibility immediately after Mickey said that.

It still may be possible for Terra to be both. Thanks to the form of time travel Xehanort is exploiting he could still go back and summon Terra while he's still a nort even after the present Terra is saved.
So Terra is still a possibility though likely only as such late in the game.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
It still may be possible for Terra to be both. Thanks to the form of time travel Xehanort is exploiting he could still go back and summon Terra while he's still a nort even after the present Terra is saved.
So Terra is still a possibility though likely only as such late in the game.

Oh absolutely. I was only talking about the candidates as of the end of 3D. The final line up, really, is anyone's guess! The Princesses themselves could all stand up to fight (ok, that's very unlikely, but you know)

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
Personally, I like the idea of Kairi being both. I mean, either way she really needs to learn how to defend herself. But I like the idea of her being her own protector, so to speak. She's been wanting to be active for a long time now, so I think it's long overdue that she get this chance.

Plus, her being both might hopefully give her some nice character development and importance: something she's severely lacking at the moment.

And technically, I think there might have always been something interesting about Kairi's role as a PoH. After all, the glass case that was intended for her at Hollow Bastion (during KHI) was separated from all of the other ones, so that might just mean something. There's also a slim chance that Kairi might be The Key to Return Hearts...

*light-bulbs turns on in my head* I think you're right with Kairi being The Key to Return Hearts. After all, Kairi did bring Sora back from the darkness minus his real body which was turned into Roxas.

I thought the scene in KH1 with Kairi in the glass case kinda felt different for some reason and like I said above: You could be right about Kairi.

blksabbath74

*light-bulbs turns on in my head* I think you're right with Kairi being The Key to Return Hearts. After all, Kairi did bring Sora back from the darkness minus his real body which was turned into Roxas.

I thought the scene in KH1 with Kairi in the glass case kinda felt different for some reason and like I said above: You could be right about Kairi.

Agree, that is actually a really cool theory...plus I could totally see the irony of Sora questing for it the whole time only to realize he already had it the whole time.

Reminds me of that Survivor song, the Search is Over.

How can I convince you what you see is real
Who am I to blame you for doubting what you feel
I was always reachin', you were just a girl I knew
I took for granted the friend I have in you

I was living for a dream,
Loving for a moment
Taking on the world,
That was just my style
Now I look into your eyes
I can see forever,
The search is over
You were with me all the while

Can we last forever, will we fall apart
At times it's so confusing, these questions of the heart
You followed me through changes, and patiently you'd wait
Till I came to my senses, through some miracle of fate

Loving for a moment
Taking on the world,
That was just my style
I can see forever,
The search is over

Now the miles stretch out behind me loves that I have lost

Broken hearts lie victims of the game
Then good luck it finally stuck like lightning from the blue
Every highway leading me back to you
Now at last I hold you, now all is said and done
The search has come full circle, our destinies are one
So if you ever loved me show me that you give a damn
You'll know for certain the man I really am

Loving for a moment
Taking on the world,
That was just my style
I can see forever,
The search is over

That would be an epic plot twist...

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
Agree, that is actually a really cool theory...plus I could totally see the irony of Sora questing for it the whole time only to realize he already had it the whole time.

How can I convince you what you see is real
Who am I to blame you for doubting what you feel
I was always reachin', you were just a girl I knew
I took for granted the friend I have in you

Loving for a moment
Taking on the world,
That was just my style
I can see forever,
The search is over

Can we last forever, will we fall apart
At times it's so confusing, these questions of the heart
You followed me through changes, and patiently you'd wait
Till I came to my senses, through some miracle of fate

Loving for a moment
Taking on the world,
That was just my style
I can see forever,
The search is over

Now the miles stretch out behind me loves that I have lost

Broken hearts lie victims of the game
Then good luck it finally stuck like lightning from the blue
Every highway leading me back to you
Now at last I hold you, now all is said and done
The search has come full circle, our destinies are one
So if you ever loved me show me that you give a damn
You'll know for certain the man I really am

Loving for a moment
Taking on the world,
That was just my style
I can see forever,
The search is over

Agreed! Who knows, I could be right on it. xD But that's for us to find out in KH3.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
blksabath74 said:

Agreed! Who knows, I could be right on it. xD But that's for us to find out in KH3.

That would certainly have some irony to it. In any case, it would be an interesting callback to Kingdom Hearts I; I can even see the situation being lampshaded with them recalling that one scene from the first game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

That's certainly something I can see Nomura pulling, especially since he himself admitted already that the search for the KtRH is like a wild goose search:
Japan Expo KH Destiny interview with Nomura said:
The press release for KINGDOM HEARTS III unveiled by Square Enix discusses the search for the "Key to Return Hearts." Is there anything you can tell us about that?Nomura : There are two possible meanings of the "key." One of which is the “hardware” key, which opens doors - this is what keys are in general (laughs), and the other is the “light” key, that opens something else. In this case, it is currently unknown as to which type of key Sora must find. This is the main storyline of KINGDOM HEARTS III - Sora must go on an adventure to find the "key" without knowing what or where it is. But as you know, we can’t really say anything else on the subject (laughs).

Despite all the possible things the key can possibly be used for (i.e. restoring Roxas, Xion and Naminé, maybe Ventus and even Terra, returning all heart shards/seeds Xehanort has scattered to his main heart), in the end the "Key to Return Hearts" and the proposed search for it is the new plot device/excuse as to why Sora has to hop around between several Disney worlds again.

If I have to take a guess, combined with this tidbit:
DDD Ultimania said:
— Before the ending, Riku receives research data from Ansem the Wise. In the next title, will that be the key to bringing back the people who are sleeping inside Sora?
Nomura: You could say it’s the key. That data contains the details explaining the way to connect lost hearts.

It seems that Ansem's data will be the operating/instruction manual as to how they can save the hearts of those in torment, but the "Key to Return Hearts" will be the tool needed to perform the whole operation.

Her actions in KH 1 concerning restoring Sora can be used as a pointer that Kairi (or rather, any or all of the Princesses) either hold that Key within themselves or that they even are the key.

That plot twist however would be less epic but rather predictable, lol.

Ruran

Awards
Why would the key be Kairi, that's only going to make things worse.

Because Kairi's the go to plot device who the writers pump full of interesting concepts to compensate for the lack of development and presence.

Ruran

Awards
What? You don't know that, we don't even know the full details of the key, for all we know, it's a new keyblade.

I didn't say she would be the key, (I'd prefer if she wasn't) it just wouldn't be surprising given the writing.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
It's true that the Key to Return Hearts could be a Keyblade, but it could also be something else: a procedure, a bunch of data, or even a human being (a category which Kairi falls under). This all is really still up in the air for guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back