• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can anyone read Japanese kanji??

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,
If this is in the wrong section or is considered an inappropriate topic, I apologize,

So recently, I've been meaning to get myself a sword (don't ask why, it's just one of those things that looks good on a wall and can come in handy during an emergency) and sure enough, my father was able to find a Japanese katana for 7 USD (quite a steal!) at one of the many tag sales he goes to. However, I ran into a bit of a roadblock in knowing what to call it, since the owner didn't know what it was called, who made it, etc. Then I examined the blade, where I found a set of Japanese characters near the hand guard. As the title suggests, I don't know what they say, and have been looking up what they mean, to no avail. I read online that the characters will reveal something about it (who made it, the clan it's from, etc). The sword itself seems elegantly designed, with ferns on the sheathe, and dragons lining the hilt and pommel.
So does anyone know what this says, even one character?
I will try to get some pictures of the kanji onto here.

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
Well it has been three years since I last studied Japanese, but I do remember a handful of kanji.
If nothing else, as long as the kanji aren't handwritten, I would like to help figure out some of them.

写真を見たいです。(I'd love to see som photos.)

Soldier

Awards
Well it has been three years since I last studied Japanese, but I do remember a handful of kanji.
If nothing else, as long as the kanji aren't handwritten, I would like to help figure out some of them.

写真を見たいです。(I'd love to see som photos.)
Well, currently I'm running into a few issues getting the pictures onto here, I have them on my google drive. But whenever I try to paste them onto the chatbox, it refuses to let me. I tried to use the "transfer from word" option, but the shortcut it suggested (Ctrl+V) doesn't seem to work.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Try uploading them somewhere else and link them here if nothing else works, maybe?

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
I believe, these are the kanji:
今古有神奉志士

Individually they mean: Now, Old, Is, God, Dedicate/Service, Intention, Gentleman/Samurai
Which seems to tell a story of an old god having intentions for a samurai. It seems 奉志 together can also mean a consular, (though I couldn't find it in my dictionary) which would mean "The old god is now consuling the samurai"

When placed in Google Translate it says either:
"Now old Yukamimatsu Shishi" or "Now old Pyongyang shrine", the former could be the name of the smith, the latter where your katana belonged, before arriving at the tag sale where your father found it.

Hope this helps ;D

Soldier

Awards
I believe, these are the kanji:
今古有神奉志士

Individually they mean: Now, Old, Is, God, Dedicate/Service, Intention, Gentleman/Samurai
Which seems to tell a story of an old god having intentions for a samurai. It seems 奉志 together can also mean a consular, (though I couldn't find it in my dictionary) which would mean "The old god is now consuling the samurai"

When placed in Google Translate it says either:
"Now old Yukamimatsu Shishi" or "Now old Pyongyang shrine", the former could be the name of the smith, the latter where your katana belonged, before arriving at the tag sale where your father found it.

Hope this helps ;D
That helps tremendously dlp, thank you!
So some guy with the name Yukamimatsu Shishi forged the blade at/near Pyongyang shrine? interesting. If that is the case, then it's a long ways from where it came from, considering where I live.
*edit* upon looking up Pyongyang shrine, I was redirected to the capital called Pyonyang, which is in North Korea. Shocking, how I hold the sword that comes from somewhere with hostile intentions.

Last edited:
Back