• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► calling all asthmatics

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
SO. Here's the deal.

I wanna start running. I'm not super out of shape but I don't wanna put off getting in really good shape any longer. (Alright, alright, I'm thinking about spring break. Happy? :p) Except its feckin cold out and cold combined with asthma is usually bad news.
Any of you have asthma and are able to somehow run in the cold? Any advice?

(And as for running inside, I do NOT want to go to the college's gym. If I run, it's gonna be outside.)

Xiao

Awards
Ehhh, not really (see the last line of the intro post :p)

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
There isnt much you can do.
There maybe some of those expensive running clothes that keep your chest warm but not too warm when you're running.

S

Shadow Soldier

Carry a warm drink in a container. Tea or anything. It's light, it's warm, and it works.

krexia

Translator
Awards
My girlfriend has asthma so I was asking her. She says for running a good strategy is to run jog five minutes, walk five minutes, run five minutes, walk five minutes then restart the cycle.
That kind of defeats the purpose of running. For a decent cardio workout, you have to keep your heartrate up.

Carry a warm drink in a container. Tea or anything. It's light, it's warm, and it works.
If keeping your throat moist helps, I'd consider getting something like a Platypus (Platypus® hydration systems, water bottles and water treatment.).

Xiao

Awards

What would be the easiest/least awkward way to carry a warm drink container on a run?

tangerine

Awards
It depends on the type of asthma you have. Some asthmatics have no problem with cold weather, so please don't have the misconception that just because you have asthma it means you'll be hindered. If you are hindered by cold weather, however, you may want to reconsider taking your training inside for the time being. I strongly recommend you keep this open as an option. With proper cardio exercise should come an improvement in your condition and you can eventually move your exercises to outside. (If that happens to be after winter ends, then all the better.)

I understand that you don't want to use the gym and I don't know if that is a question of not wanting to be judged, but if it is I'm sure you'll be surprised to find that not everyone at the gym is in good health--they're there to change that. Before anything, however, you should consult a doctor to determine the severity of your condition and he or she can advise you accordingly.

krexia

Translator
Awards
What would be the easiest/least awkward way to carry a warm drink container on a run?
Like I said, check out Platypus. Their backpack-style liquid containers are great for running (or cycling).

Xiao

Awards
So today in Kalamazoo was unusually beautiful.

I planned on going out for a 45 minute run today.
During this experience (which ended up being 20 minutes of alternating walking/running), I came to several conclusions:

1. Kalamazoo is the WORST place to run. There are no level roads. Everything is either a major upward or downward slope. Which is awesome if you're super in shape and run all the time and you want a challenge, but I'm not super in shape, this was my first time going out for a run, and I've got enough challenges facing me right now.
2. The black sneakers I used look cool and are kind of comfortable, but probably suck for running. Gonna have to ask the parents to send me my tennis shoes.
3. Running in an area you don't know at all is intimidating, and really doesn't help.
4. Beginning to run when it's cold and you have asthma is not the best idea ever.

Therefore, I'll ask my parents to send my shoes and until then, I'll walk around the area til I get to know it and find some roads that are kind of level.

Any further advice? (and thanks for what you guys have given me so far)

ps.
It depends on the type of asthma you have. Some asthmatics have no problem with cold weather, so please don't have the misconception that just because you have asthma it means you'll be hindered.
I don't usually make assumptions, I'm saying that I have trouble with the cold from 19 years of experience :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back