• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► But I can't do it alone!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
CUE MUSIC AND DANCING? D: Uh. If you like Chicago, you'll get that.

I'm starting to get into voice acting and, for once, I want to stick with it. It's a FUN hobby. On the other hand, I'm starting to learn how to sing... Self-taught-ness yay? THE INTERNET IS SUCH A WONDERFUL RESOURCE. :D

The only problem is that I'm an introvert... and I get embarrassed rather easily. I don't think singing was that big of a deal when I was little but now? I've done some many stupid things that I'm embarrassed whenever I sing around someone. But, if I'm learning, I gotta practice. This is also the same with voice acting, though it's easier for me to talk in funny voices around others.

Does anyone have any ways that I could get over that fear of singing around others as well as voice acting? I'm going to have to record stuff around my parents, but I'm so scared to!

Thanks in advance! :)

S

Shadow Soldier

Look at it this way, the only reason why they're laughing, is because they can't sing themselves. Guaranteed, next time someone laughs or something, ask them to show you how it's done, and most likely they'll back down. Also, just because people laugh at you doesn't mean anything. Just imagine all the people on American Idol who get no where...

King Wolfe

Basically... Run
Awards
christ just do it

Not very motivational response ftw :D. Just remember these words that I stole off Joker "What doesn't kill you makes you stranger" I'm not sure how it applies but go with it. I'd sing with my eyes close if I was in your position.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Well, you could try to find a choir somehow, maybe after you sing in a large group, you'll feel better about singing individually. What I'd do is sing with headphones in, that way all you can really hear is your music, and just don't pay attention to anyone. It starts to get kinda bad when you do it absentmindedly, but hey, that's just the rub of it.

Awesome work on the voice acting, though. How'd you get started in it?

Last edited:

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
Well, I already told you this on dA, but the only way to overcome your nervousness is to do it more. Trust me, you'll become braver over time. Now, I'm not going into singing/performing as a career, but I have had years of experience so I'd like to think that I at least have an idea of what I'm talking about. I've been in some choir or another for 11 years, performed four solos (full-length songs) several times, each, as well as duets and small ensembles. At first, I was very nervous, but I knew that I loved to sing, so I stuck with it. Finally, it got to the point where at graduation, I was nervous just walking out in front of the audience, but when I got up on the risers to sing with the choir, I felt immediately relieved like I was home.

If I were you, my first step would be to join some sort of choir. If not that, at least take one-on-one voice lessons. They may cost you some money, but regardless of your natural talent or dedication, the performance factor is invaluable. Finding a choir or voice instructor should be pretty easy. If nothing else, your community college should have some sort of class or choir for you to join. And whenever you get nervous, just remind yourself: "I like singing. I like voice acting. I like performing." That's what I do, anyway, and it helps. Also, sing whenever you can--in the car, at your computer desk, cleaning your room, etc. Sing as loud and passionately and confidently as possible without being too obnoxious to those in ear-shot. Acting is about losing yourself and becoming someone else, so you'd better learn to get comfortable with it. Think of each performance as an opportunity to become a better performer, which, from the way you're making it sound, is what you want to do with your life. So get on it!

Ryu

an obscene gesture
christ just do it

this.

and don't take offense because it is the most effective method. you'll feel embarassed the first few times anyway regardless of whether you suck or not. deal with it and make progress. hell knows you won't make any sitting around asking the internet to make you feel better because when you eventually do take your 'stage', all the compliments won't take away that feeling that you're about to vomit.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
I did voice acting once. I'm sure I can help with that part better then singing. Okay, well when you're voice acting, make sure whatever role you're doing sounds like the role you're really interested in or get into. Or put that role and make sure that when your acting, make sure you say your lines from the heart. Meaning don't say a line in a way that make those who casted you or whatever doubt you and be like, "Yeah, I got over this. Let's get to the next scene." or whatever. Be genuine to the character and try to do all sorts of voices (if they want you to play more then one character). And make sure when you do, be loud and clear and be sure to listen to what the directors or whoever's in charge are saying. Also if your nervous or whatever, try talking to them to see what they like and if you get a break, make sure you relax, drink water, or whatever. Maybe that'll help. Take time to go over whatever your script or line you're doing in some cases. But remember in voice acting, you gotta make the role you're playing or whatever you're potraying sound like the person you're voicing and that it comes from the heart and of course say the lines but I think you get what I mean don't you?

As for singing, try to pretend the audience or whoever's watching is just regular people like you and if you're doing it on stage and it's a song they don't know about, just make it up as you go on about. Of course this might not be the best advice but at least something I learned from being onstage once. Otherwise if you have a written lyrical song that you need to memorize, just keep practicing and remember you may be nervous but show the audience that you can do it and that even if you don't seem to be up to it, they don't know that. The audience would have flaws too. If that makes sense.

ANYWAY WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
CUE MUSIC AND DANCING? D: Uh. If you like Chicago, you'll get that.

I'm starting to get into voice acting and, for once, I want to stick with it. It's a FUN hobby. On the other hand, I'm starting to learn how to sing... Self-taught-ness yay? THE INTERNET IS SUCH A WONDERFUL RESOURCE. :D

The only problem is that I'm an introvert... and I get embarrassed rather easily. I don't think singing was that big of a deal when I was little but now? I've done some many stupid things that I'm embarrassed whenever I sing around someone. But, if I'm learning, I gotta practice. This is also the same with voice acting, though it's easier for me to talk in funny voices around others.

Does anyone have any ways that I could get over that fear of singing around others as well as voice acting? I'm going to have to record stuff around my parents, but I'm so scared to!

Thanks in advance! :)

Hahah, I remember my first choir concert. I was so nervous, because I was in the front row and everyone could see me.

But, it was better then because I wasn't alone. As I grew older and got more into singing, it became easier and easier to sing louder and with more confidence than before, until, by the end of my time with the choir, I was one of the stronger mezzo sopranos.

This led into solo work. I had some small parts and they always made me nervous, because I would be singing, on my own, with no else to back me up.

But, I learned that singing on my own was no different than singing in a crowd. In fact, it gave me an even nicer adrenaline rush, because it was just so much fun. And I'm also weird in that I was only slightly nervous before the performance, and then extremely nervous after I had finished.

My advice to you is no different than the ones before me. Get into a choir or voice-lessons. Preferably, do both. The choir helps you sing in a crowd, and the one-on-one lessons help you sing, period.

Once you're able to sing in a crowd, it's much easier to sing alone. Also, get up and sing in front of your parents. They're the only people that absolutely will not condemn you or laugh at you.. unless you're just that horrible, in which case you shouldn't be singing in the first place... not in front of people, at least.

Practice. If you can practice, and strengthen your voice, your confidence automatically goes up, because you know you can do it. You know you can sing it, and sing it well. That will help.

Also, getting into a choir or the lessons will help with your VA-ing. It can teach you different intonations, how to breathe better, how to speak clearer and crisper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back