• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Businessweek: Xbox 360, not the PS2, is the bestselling console of all time

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
New Windows Tablets: the Good, the Not-So-Bad, and the Ugly - Businessweek

Microsoft does have some consumer-electronics wins, most noticeably with the best-selling game console of all time: the Xbox 360.

Then in the comments...
Beap said:
The best-selling console of all time?? I googled those words specifically to find the following data at Wikipedia:
The best selling game console of all time was the Sony Playstation 2 at about 154 million units, then the Nintendo DS at 153 million. Down the list at No. 5 is the Wii, about 97 million, and a little further down at No. 8, the X-Box 360 at 68 million. Where did your version come from, I wonder.

Author of the article said:
Somewhere other than wikipedia.. Those statistics are out of date. Now the Xbox 360 is the best selling game console world wide.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
This can easily be attributed to the fact that gaming's been more mainstream and popular than ever before. PS2 selling as much as it did at the time was an achievement, the 360 selling as much nowadays is pretty much to be expected. Besides that, PS2 suffered from less glaring hardware issues at launch and had a more stellar library.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Plus the fact that it's price range was way more affordable than the PS3, current gen-wise.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
This can easily be attributed to the fact that gaming's been more mainstream and popular than ever before. PS2 selling as much as it did at the time was an achievement, the 360 selling as much nowadays is pretty much to be expected. Besides that, PS2 suffered from less glaring hardware issues at launch and had a more stellar library.

Even only considering this generation the Wii is curbstomping both the PS3 and the 360.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Lots of people are calling bullshit. Not so sure myself. I'm skeptical, anyways. No one is presenting any data. And considering that the 360 has such a small hold in places like Japan, I wouldn't doubt that this is untrue.

Either way, the PS2 is still the more respectable console, considering it's era and how gaming wasn't exactly mainstream then as it is now, and then the amazing library.

edit: What does "best selling console of all time" even mean? If that just means it's made the most money, that doesn't mean much. Units sold is what counts.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
It seems the 360 has sold exceptionally well in the past 15 months, but it is by no means the best selling console "of all time." That's to indicate it has sold more in-total than every other console that has ever been on the market, ever. Which is just horribly untrue. Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS and PS2 outshine it in sales quite a bit.

List of best-selling game consoles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you check the article the Xbox 360 is attached to (right next to the number sold), you'll see it's up to date. Misleading article...

tl;dr author is bad journalist. must smash.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
tsk. Some people just have bad taste.
*runs off before being burned*

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
It seems the 360 has sold exceptionally well in the past 15 months, but it is by no means the best selling console "of all time." That's to indicate it has sold more in-total than every other console that has ever been on the market, ever. Which is just horribly untrue. Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS and PS2 outshine it in sales quite a bit.

List of best-selling game consoles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you check the article the Xbox 360 is attached to (right next to the number sold), you'll see it's up to date. Misleading article...

tl;dr author is bad journalist. must smash.

I was pretty sure it was bullshit, even just considering how much the Wii has outsold the 360.

Thanks for clearing it up, gorg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back