• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Burga banned in France

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
Europe, I love you. For many, many unrelated reasons.

As for this, I'm staying neutral on the issue. This seems like something it'd be best for the common "me" to leave alone.

Valid points on both ends, which is more than can be said for things I bother to poke my head into...

~*Luna*~

The rational side of me thinks "Why ban it, it's just a piece of cloth?"

The irrational side thinks "Good, the less Muslim traditions I see, the better."

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
lmfao burga its burqa

Anyway, yeah, being French myself - though raised in England - I share some sympathy on both sides.

First of all, France has been secular for a long time; it is a part of society and therefore them banning the burqa isn't prejudice against Islam or Muslims. They would do the same with any other religion, but the burqa poses particular problems since identification becomes difficult and it is, well, a religious symbol.

The only bad side about this for me is that it could make women a target from their husbands; if Muslim women can't go out with their faces covered, I assume that the husbands will keep them locked-up inside. Not all husbands, of course, but it will happen. Secondly, France is making itself very unpopular with Muslim countries since people view the ban as a ban on religious freedom and expression.

But, whatever, I'm down with the whole secular thing, so I do support it.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
There is no reason to be politically correct about this. I think France is doing the right thing. I mean, where do we draw the line? If I feel like walking around naked in public, should I be allowed to do that?

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
There is no reason to be politically correct about this. I think France is doing the right thing. I mean, where do we draw the line? If I feel like walking around naked in public, should I be allowed to do that?

Uhhh covering yourself up completely and walking around without any clothes on are not equal concepts.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Uhhh covering yourself up completely and walking around without any clothes on are not equal concepts.

Sure they are. Apart from the fact that being naked is the most natural thing in the world, they're both extreme polar opposites.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Banning the Burga makes sense for certain reasons (like identification, potential smuggling, etc.), though the "intolerance" side to it might make people a bit upset.

Fortissimo

I can see where they're coming from on both sides, but I think it's religious discrimination personally. If a woman chooses to wear it in keeping with religious tradition, I see nothing wrong with it.

Its not a religious tradition, its a cultural tradition, and a bad one at that. The idea that women should wear burqas was invented by arabs in the saudi area when women where treated like cattle (somewhat still are). Women were kidnapped by neighboring tribes so they could force marriage and form alliances. They made them wear the burqa to hide their face so they couldn't be identified, and it also protected them from the desert sun. It was incorporated into religion because the extremists over rationalized the verse in the Qur'an that said women should be modest; not be turned into egg plants. The burqa is looked down upon by moderate, and even conservative Muslims, it is an invented idea by extremest and ultimately forbidden in Islam.

I'm glad France banned them, It supports equal rights. The only thing I fear could come of this, is they could ban head scarfs, but I don't think that would happen because non Muslims wear them too.

Z

Zulkir

Covering one's face is not a religious obligation in Islam. If someone had to be identified by face, it would not be an act of immodesty on the woman's part to show her face.

Wearing loose clothes that cover the body is an obligation, however.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
wow, france
why cant we leave the burqa alone? is it hurting anybody? its part of the islamic culture and i dont think the french should be able to tell these women what they can and cannot wear

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
wow, france
why cant we leave the burqa alone? is it hurting anybody? its part of the islamic culture and i dont think the french should be able to tell these women what they can and cannot wear

France is a secular society. It is not against Islam in particular. It is about trying to create equality without religion sticking its nose in.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I wonder if I had been able to wear a white robe or a robber's mask in public, had it been part of my culture?

France is a secular society. It is not against Islam in particular. It is about trying to create equality without religion sticking its nose in.

Yeah. I've read that France is, along with the Nordic countries, among the most secular countries in the world.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards

but if they choose to wear it, shouldnt it be their buisness?
im sorry, but im not too educated on the subject

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
but if they choose to wear it, shouldnt it be their buisness?
im sorry, but im not too educated on the subject

That is exactly what secularism is; the forbidding of any religious symbol. Banning the burqa is a) a movement of Muslim women's right and b) adhering to the principles of secularism which France follows quite happily.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
That is exactly what secularism is; the forbidding of any religious symbol. Banning the burqa is a) a movement of Muslim women's right and b) adhering to the principles of secularism which France follows quite happily.

i see, so they believe that by removing the burqa/hijab, the muslim women will be equal to any other person
alright Sol, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back