• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Bungie Leaves Activision

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
You read that right folks. Bungie broke off from Activision and got their rights for Destiny back.

We'll finally get the game we wanted (I hope!)

Here's the link to their blog post: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

--------

"When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place. As an independent studio setting out to build a brand new experience, we wanted a partner willing to take a big leap of faith with us. We had a vision for Destiny that we believed in, but to launch a game of that magnitude, we needed the support of an established publishing partner.

With Activision, we created something special. To date, Destiny has delivered a combination of over 50 million games and expansions to players all around the world. More importantly, we’ve also witnessed a remarkable community – tens of millions of Guardians strong – rise up and embrace Destiny, to play together, to make and share memories, and even to do truly great things that reach far beyond the game we share, to deliver a positive impact on people’s everyday lives.

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

With Forsaken, we’ve learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We’ll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Thank you so much for your continued support. Our success is owed in no small part to the incredible community of players who have graced our worlds with light and life. We know self-publishing won’t be easy; there’s still much for us to learn as we grow as an independent, global studio, but we see unbounded opportunities and potential in Destiny. We know that new adventures await us all on new worlds filled with mystery, adventure, and hope. We hope you’ll join us there.

See you starside.

BUNGiE"

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Good for them. Destiny 2 turned out to be quite disastrous for both companies, so I'm glad Bungie can go make a game and call the shots. Honestly, Destiny 2 suffered from mixed reception and some of it was pretty bad. Here's hoping to a better future for Bungie.

Arenson

Awards
This is huge news. It's what Blizzard should do as well. I had no idea Bungie had so much cash to do that. Destiny 2 was pretty bad at launch, but the game is pretty decent right now.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
This is huge news. It's what Blizzard should do as well. I had no idea Bungie had so much cash to do that. Destiny 2 was pretty bad at launch, but the game is pretty decent right now.

Bungie was not owned by Activison. Theay had a publishing deal for 10 years. Blizzard is owned by Activision

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I enjoyed what Destiny was trying to do at launch, but further patches and content separated us since they wanted money for simple things. I hope this split allows Bungie to experiment with financially entertaining scenarios that please their fans, as well as being profitable. I understand how hard it is to deliver a product for a set price and then try to get people to pay for extras after the fact, so i do hope this split allows them to be creative and go all out with Activision putting the stop on them.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Bungie was not owned by Activison. Theay had a publishing deal for 10 years. Blizzard is owned by Activision

While that's true, they had a pretty beefy contract that indicates that they had more control than Bungie thought they'd have in the process. Also, with Tencent acquiring Activision, I often wonder how much of the BS is coming from On High and is being disseminated to Activision, which then puts pressure on their contracted studios to find solutions to crappy situations. I'll fully admit that Bungie made a lot of bad choices. But it needs to be asked whether or not those choices were what came out of numerous zero-sum scenarios, or even situations where the choices they made were the least fucked given what they were allowed to do in a short amount of time.

I enjoyed what Destiny was trying to do at launch, but further patches and content separated us since they wanted money for simple things. I hope this split allows Bungie to experiment with financially entertaining scenarios that please their fans, as well as being profitable. I understand how hard it is to deliver a product for a set price and then try to get people to pay for extras after the fact, so i do hope this split allows them to be creative and go all out with Activision putting the stop on them.

Yeah. I fully expect monitization, but I'm looking forward to see how they do things. If they can focus on delivering really well done content at a slower pace, i.e. twice a year instead of several small DLCs and one big one every year, then I think they can change their monetization platform to be more fair and engaging for players.

This probably won’t bode well for Activision. Their stocks are looking pretty doodoo right now.

Hey on the upside, you know it'll go back up so it's a hell of a time to buyyyyyy

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
While that's true, they had a pretty beefy contract that indicates that they had more control than Bungie thought they'd have in the process. Also, with Tencent acquiring Activision, I often wonder how much of the BS is coming from On High and is being disseminated to Activision, which then puts pressure on their contracted studios to find solutions to crappy situations. I'll fully admit that Bungie made a lot of bad choices. But it needs to be asked whether or not those choices were what came out of numerous zero-sum scenarios, or even situations where the choices they made were the least fucked given what they were allowed to do in a short amount of time.

Oh not denying that. Just saying that they were in a completely different situation then blizzard is in.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
There's a lot of people in the Blizzard communities, namely Overwatch and Diablo fans, that hate the direction the company seems to have been going in since they merged with Activision. I'm personally of the opinion that Activision should just be Activision, and that each of these companies should just go separate again.

I do hope Bungie does well in their future endeavors. Destiny 2 started out pretty bad but Forsaken was actually really good.

CurtisBissonnett

Well, for me I enjoyed the game developed by both the publisher. I am quite amuse my self by playing thier game in the meantime. I also like to play other shooter video games.

Back