• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Bungie and Microsoft part ways

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
Breaking: Bungie Split Confirmed - Kotaku

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We'll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we'll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won't see much, if any difference, for a while unless you come to work for us, that is - we're hiring.

"Our collaboration with Bungie has resulted in 'Halo' becoming an enduring mainstream hit," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "While we are supporting Bungie's desire to return to its independent roots, we will continue to invest in our 'Halo' entertainment property with Bungie and other partners, such as Peter Jackson, on a new interactive series set in the 'Halo' universe. We look forward to great success with Bungie as our long-term relationship continues to evolve through 'Halo'-related titles and new IP created by Bungie."

well while rumors of such an event happening have been mentioned on the internet before, i admit im a bit surprised

New2Ya

I'm lost...
So I heard...

In my point of view, all this is, is publicity. No way Bungie making games for PS3 or Wii... If it would happen, that'd be... a shock, for everyone...

This is probably like Naughty Dog and Sony, that type of relationship. 2nd party...

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
miss leading info evil_kenshin and your the one who always jumps on my back for spin things..Iconic isn't it?

Nice try tho..

Bungie now 2nd party developer."

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We’ll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we’ll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won’t see much, if any difference, for a while unless you come to work for us, that is – we’re hiring at Bungie.net : Inside Bungie : Jobs

icrosoft still has a stake in them, which means they still tell them what platform to make it on, and will still be publishing their games. Really, nothing has changed.

This just like Sony and Insomniac. Though Sony doesn't own Insomniac but you wont see a Insomniac game the 360.

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
As long as they keep up with Halo 3, I'm happy. I'm actually happy that Bungie won't be forced to make Halo games for the rest of their lives.

Kudos Microsoft, letting Bungie do what they want. They're a world class developer, and everyone deserves to play their games.

It'll be funny to see how many PS3 fanboys jump ship, and say how awesome Bungie is now though. This is gonna be fun to watch.

Although, something tells me we won't be seeing many, if any PS3 or Wii Bungie games. Okay, maybe a Wii game; Rare is doing a DS game.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
All that we may see form Bungie is DS and more PC if that.

Like New2ya said I dont think we see any PS3 or Wii games out of this, for many reasons..

Bungie just has more freedom now.. they no longer have to keep making Halo til the end of days.

Key-Blade

i think it will be interesting to se what bungie can do besides Halo. But i think they will develop mostly for the xbox360.

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
7-step_plan.jpg

Step six, complete.

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
I think you're confused. Read it again. Step Six is done.

And, here:

Kotaku: With this new independence are you allowed to start playing around with developing titles for Nintendo and Sony?

Brian Jarrard: For the foreseeable future we're focused on Microsoft platforms and the Xbox and Xbox 360 have obviously been very good to us.

Omni_VII

PSWii C:
miss leading info evil_kenshin and your the one who always jumps on my back for spin things..Iconic isn't it?

I think you mean ironic. :x

Just wondering, how does this change anything? When Bungie was owned by Microsoft, they didn't HAVE to make Halo, and now that they're not owned, they're still going to be making games for Microsoft.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
Omni_VII said:
I think you mean ironic. :x

Just wondering, how does this change anything? When Bungie was owned by Microsoft, they didn't HAVE to make Halo, and now that they're not owned, they're still going to be making games for Microsoft.
Yea.. sorry for the typoXD

They got a whole lot more creative freedom and voting power back to run their studio the way they see fit now. And likely a bigger share of potential profit from future titles.

If look at it closely.. This a great move for both MS and Bungie..

evil_kenshin

hold it supereclipse, i never placed ANY misleading info, now don't start on me again, no where did i claim bungie was makings games for other consoles

square-enix

Pederast
Website
www.newsvine.com
No, the title is not misleading. Bungie was previous a subsidiary of Mircosoft, meaning Mircosoft had complete control.
They have technically and legally parted ways, even if Bungie continues to be a very very close third-party developer to Microsoft.
They are not bound by any contract, so they aren't second party.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
No, the title is not misleading. Bungie was previous a subsidiary of Mircosoft, meaning Mircosoft had complete control.
They have technically and legally parted ways, even if Bungie continues to be a very very close third-party developer to Microsoft.
They are not bound by any contract, so they aren't second party.

Do you guys even read happen?lol

Bungie is 2nd party and MS still owns %49 and all the pub rights.. Unless MS okays it, they can't make games for the PS3 or Nintendo.

square-enix

Pederast
Website
www.newsvine.com
Do you guys even read happen?lol

Bungie is 2nd party and MS still owns %49 and all the pub rights.. Unless MS okays it, they can't make games for the PS3 or Nintendo.
Really now? 49%? Care to link me?

Assuming you actually have a source, I don't see how a 49% share of the studio would limit Bungie's decision.

evil_kenshin

it doesn't this is just another one of his attempts to have a go at me

just like last time supereclipse you can't avoid arguing/ bickering, heck last time i even got your topic re-opened for you (closed due to your arguing with me) and then you ruined it by arguing with someone else getting it permanently closed

and here you go again

unless you use sources/have a proper reason for suspecting that i've "mislead" anyone, get out of my topic rather than try and start a flaming match

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
If you read the release MS is still an Equity Investor in Bungie.
As well as publisher so it's not like their titles are going anywhere but where MS wants them to go.

How did MS and Bungie part ways again?

One the reason, Bungie got half there say back and Microsoft didn't care for few reason. Microsoft still would have eaten the operating costs for the studio on a yearly basis which apparently were huge.

This way they get all the same benefits as an equity investor and publisher with none of the overhead of actually having to run the studio as the owner. This great for Microsoft and Bungie.

Bungie got a whole lot more creative freedom and voting power back to run their studio the way they see fit now and likely a bigger share of potential profit from future titles.

Microsoft owns a piece of Bungie still while the rest is owned by a select few in Bungie.

So basically.

1. Bungie Studios are now 2nd Party.
2. Halo I.P owned by Microsoft.
3. Microsoft and Bungie will continue to collaborate on Halo projects.
4. Bungie will continue to make games for Microsoft Game Studios.
5. Microsoft will publish Bungie games.
6. Nintendo DS is the only other likely platform other than Xbox & PC.
7. Bungie are now independant and can make what they want.
8. Still funded and owned by Microsoft.

So they didn't leave Microsoft, but wished to have it's identity back. They're still essentially Microsoft and will be making titles for a Microsoft console with the possibility of a handheld game or two. While being able to free roam into the realm of bringing new IPs for to be played on our 360's.

URL="http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12834"]I loved what Frankie posted on Bungie[/URL]:

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We’ll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we’ll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won’t see much, if any difference, for a while unless you come to work for us, that is – we’re hiring at Bungie.net : Inside Bungie : Jobs

-------------

In the video game industry, a second-party developer is a developer who, while being a separate entity from any console manufacturer, is tied to a specific one usually through contract or partial ownership and makes games specifically for that console manufacturer. The term "second-party" however, is not an official business term like "first-party" and "third-party", but is used simply to distinguish between third-party developers who develop games for various video game consoles, and developers who, while still a third-party, provide software only for a single video-game console (or consoles for a single company).

Its like Insomniac and Sony..

Do I need go deeper for you guys?

unless you use sources/have a proper reason for suspecting that i've "mislead" anyone, get out of my topic rather than try and start a flaming match,
Oh yea, I mean you guys don't say I post misleading title at all bitch about me when I posted hints on MGS4 on the 360..

Pot calling the kettle black

Also this isn't a flaming match..I can't believe you think this flame.. I posting why you wont see PS3 games by Bungie. MS still owns apart of them and publishing rights to Bungie titles.

---------

Can I ask you.. Do you think Insomniac will make a 360 game?

evil_kenshin

they are NOT owned by Microsoft, that is part of the whole "split ways", they will work with them closely but they are NOT owned

nor did i EVER claim that bungie would make games for ps3

now find where i claimed such a thing? seriously go ahead and quote me on it? cause i seriously can't recall ever typing that

now quit your crying about how apparently everyone posting how you make misleading titles, so you come into my thread using it as an excuse to justify your actions

seriously enough!

edit: also you still haven't provided proof of this claim about microsoft owning 49% of bungies shares (nor does a google search bring anything up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back