• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Broken PS2!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calehay

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Look here for dissassembling the PS2. Don't worry about the can of air and stuff.

After you remove the top casing over the Disc Drive, check to see if the white piece inside of it is intact. If so, check on the top of it to see if there is a gray magnet on top. If there isn't, you have to find that magnet (or buy a new one. http://store.richspsxparts.com/dvddrivemagnet.html $5.95, but that sure beats $120.99!)

If this isn't the case, post back, because it might be something more serious. Hopefully I'll be able to help you.

Just a few warnings: You *will* be taking apart a state of the art electronics system. You must keep this in mind. Any careless move or gesture could kill your PS2. Just as importantly, any ridiculous planning could kill you (DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PLAYSTATION PLUGGED IN OR IN THE ON POSITION! I had a mild shock not following this device. Thankfully, I knew what it felt like to get electrocuted, so I was able to pull away quickly (You'll be surprised. It's not as an immediate feeling as you would think.)) I'm not trying to scare you away from opening the PS2.

Keep all the screw catagorized and neatly placed away in a cup or something. Remember where everything goes, so you can reassemble it safely.

If you feel that you can't do this, or I can't fix your problem, go to http://store.richspsxparts.com/estimateform.html. This company is quite knowledgeable about PS2s, and can answer your questions if you ask them through this form.

Hope this helps, and I hope this is the problem with your PS2 (since it's an easy fix.)

Good Luck! Post back with status!

Calehay

If that's the case, you have to decide on who you want to fix it, Sony, or someone underground. I'm sure you can imagine the pros and cons of each.

BTW, the slim PS2's aren't really that cheap. They're $149 bucks new, from where I live. If you really want the cheapest thing, you'll have to buy a Preowned Regular PS2 (about $129 where I live.)

Hope you can get your PS2, and enjoy KH2. (Hopefully, I'll be doing the same as well.)

Iracunde

chaywa said:
You're pathetic

KH2 is nothing more than a video game, the world will not exactly come to an end if you don't play it at this exact moment...its more 'l13k ZOMG no KH2 m4k3 G0th d0n4ld g0 cr4zy' than heart breaking...

internet anonymity ftl

Iracunde

TheModStriker said:
WTF! What did you just say?

Internet anonymity for the loss/lose.

Since, generally, people are anonymous on the internet (not many people know who they really are), some people feel more free to say things that they would otherwise not say if they were talking to your face.

In other words, since no one knows who anyone is, people tend to say things that are much more cold-hearted and mean.

(I'm not being of much help :p Just trying to say that guy was being unecessary. Hope you get it fixed, though)

Darkening kairi

something was wrong with my ps2 too. i think my fat brother steped on it on accident. my dad tried to fix it himself. he broked it even more. so do not try to fix the ps2 on your own=D i got the new more slimer kind. i think you should get that one....okay?

Calehay

How different is it? If you have a large one, they should work pretty similar. I think he has a later version of the PS2, but alot of it should be similar.

For your purposes, you shouldn't need pliers.

Have you opened it yet? You should be able to tell if what I thought the problem might have been after just taking off the top casing (That's the same on every non-slim PS2.)

BULLETPROOF

just sell your ps2 and buy used or refurbished one from gamestop although i would never buy a used game/console anyway you should only have to pay around 50 dollars if you sell your ps2 and buy a used/refurbished one

Calehay

At my local gamestop, they'll only pay you $25 store credit for a broken one, and a used one costs $129.99. That's not much of a bargain.

Of course, you could try the Ebay route, but it's risky dealings doing anything over the internet that requires money.

Riku's Twilight

Website
www.freewebs.com
If u have a friend who's willing to let you come over and play it, then do that. But if u are really desperate, buy one. Or wait for PS3. It's gonna be region-free and backwards compatible. You waited for KH2, you can wait till november for PS3.

PS: Be strong, fellow KH fan, be strong. But seriously, if you buy another PS2 now, you will blow your chances of having PS3 money. S-E did say they were already thinking about putting a KH game on the PS3, (possibly not KH3, better chances)

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Yeah...my PS2 fell a couple weeks ago....onto my hard, concrete floor....*sighs*...and now it's just like my x-box. It barely reads ANYTHING!!! Atleast my PS2 will read more than my xbox... i think my xbox is toooo old and it has a thomsan disk reader....whatever that is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back