• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Bootleg Products- Anime', Manga and the Merch.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What do you think of Bootleg and fraud merchandise?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MangaCrazy101

The Blonde
Awards
Website
mangacrazy101.blogspot.com
Welcome to a civilised discussion on a topic that personally most of us (as stereotypical Otakus) hate with a passion. Bootleged products.

Where do you stand on bootleg/counterfeit products?
About two or three years ago I received the whole 'Sailor Moon' collection on DVD (including the movies) for Christmas from my mother. I had no idea what a bootleg was and neither did she, but we both love 'Sailor Moon' so yeah. Of course those box sets are bootlegged copies, but being in Australia, it's hard enough to get anime' as it is little own rare, in high demand anime' such as the 'Sailor Moon' collection.
So is it bad that I feel nothing towards the fact I own fraud merchandise?

I now own lots more bootlegged anime' and fraud merchandise (actually most of these were because I thought they were authentic).
I do plan in the future on obtaining the real authentic and licensed versions, but as I'm still young and immature (enough) for terrible things to happen to those, I feel it is best I have these 'bad quality' versions.

"You get what you pay for." And we all know whole seasons of legitimate, licensed anime' aren't cheap.
Do you own any?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I own a bootleg version of YGO GX Season 2 xD I hate life for it xD

I keep debating on buying the bootleg Studio Ghibli dvd set, but I want a real set xD So I just buy the really expensive legit copies.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I know the anime business is pretty risky and it's why companies tend to be kind of wary about what to bring over, so I always make sure to buy the legit stuff. If I accidentally buy a bootleg Tiger and Bunny next year.. ugh.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
When I was 14 or 15 I accidentally bought bootlegged copies of NGE and Cowboy Bebop. I live in regret forever, because part of me really wants to buy the genuine DVD sets but the other part of me doesn't want to spend the money since I technically already own them.

I'll probably cave and rebuy them eventually.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I know the anime business is pretty risky and it's why companies tend to be kind of wary about what to bring over, so I always make sure to buy the legit stuff. If I accidentally buy a bootleg Tiger and Bunny next year.. ugh.

Oh god, that is my fear. I refuse to buy bootleg T&B anything. ;A:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Honestly, I probably wouldn't even be able to tell if anything I bought was a bootleg or not, lol

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
The geek in me prevents me from engaging in any pirate activity. There's no way I'd way I'd buy anything in such inferior quality. I like my media in glorious 1080p. Besides if anything, if I really wanted to, I could whip up a "boxset" myself through the use of torrents '3'. Not that I would. I make a conscious effort to purchase media.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
For a really long time I couldn't tell that I had bought bootlegged products, because the packages are actually really nice.

But now that I work in DVD's it's really easy for me to find out what's been licensed and released through a company and what hasn't.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I've never bought anything bootleg DVD wise, but I did find out shortly afterwards my Strong World Franky statue was bootleg. Didn't mind too much, he just stands on my book case and looks good. Just has patchy paintwork is all.

I look pretty hard into what I'm buying otherwise, figures are the only things I seem to find that are obviously bootlegs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back