• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Birth by Sleep's graphics in 2.5

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BagelBreath

Awards
I don't expect them to do much gameplay wise, I would love it if they did though.
I hope they make the environments larger, they had this "dollhouse" feel to them, I don't know how to explain it.. ;x
Capes would be cool, but I'd prefer if they were optional.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Both games are probably in the top ten best PSP games no doubt. This is probably the best analytical comparison review on Peace Walker HD since you seem to be comparing it to Birth by Sleep.

The problem with Peace Walker HD was not the updated aesthetics, but the fact that it was a PSP game being ported to the 360 and PS3. It still played and felt like a PSP game regardless because the game was originally developed on a system with far less superior hardware than the 360 and PS3. The AI, for example, in Peace Walker is extremely limited and not many changes were included in the HD port.

Birth by Sleep will probably experience the same fate. No matter the graphical overhaul, it will need vast changes to make it feel more like a console game than a PSP port. After reviewing the changes in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMix, this seems to be more and more plausible. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 major changes only consisted of modern controls, HD textures, and....a extra slot. In some sense, Peace Walker HD received similar changes.

If you are worried about aesthetics, then fear not. The poly count and resolution for Kingdom Hearts 1.5 seems to be on a whole new level than Peace Walker HD. It could be assumed that Birth by Sleep HD will look better than Peace Walker HD, but the game play will most likely, inevitably stay the same.
I don't think BBS will suffer *quite* the same fate because it always sort of felt like a console title to begin with. Watered down, yes, but still had that feeling.

Kisame

I might be the oddball out here but I didn't think it felt like a console game. Maybe because I played the console versions of the Kingdom Hearts games SO MUCH but eh it just didn't have that feel.

Awards
I've personally worked with the entire BBS iso file (obviously I didn't make the game but I have all the files extracted, anywhere from animation files, textures, music files, etc) and that's a crap ton of work to make it all look better. If they choose not to work on it at all, I would not blame them.

Yes, but they basically had to completely remake KH1 from the ground up because they lost pretty much all of the data. So I'm sure working on BBS wouldn't be so bad compared to that.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Yes, but they basically had to completely remake KH1 from the ground up because they lost pretty much all of the data. So I'm sure working on BBS wouldn't be so bad compared to that.

That was an exaggeration. Obviously they had backups of all their assets from KH1 in some way, shape or form.

Kisame

That was an exaggeration. Obviously they had backups of all their assets from KH1 in some way, shape or form.

Or a means of extracting it from the iso. Hopefully they thought of that lol

Pestilence

Awards
Or a means of extracting it from the iso. Hopefully they thought of that lol

They reverse engineered a retail copy of Final Mix so it is in a sense extracting stuff from iso in a way. They certainly didn't build much of anything from nothing, that is a ridicilous exaggeration like Sign said. This method has been used by Bluepoint Games who did the God of War and Metal Gear Solid HD collections so it isn't even a situation where they had neccessarily do the hard way. It has been proven to be a good method to port the assets.

As for Birth By Sleep I suggest you keep your expectations very low if you think they are going to add stuff like capes or even touch some of the more complex stuff. They will not change anything like that, they will upgrade the models, menus and sprites and that's it for graphical improvements. We would be lucky if we get 60fps. The best we can hope for is streamlining some of the controls and stuff the way they did with 1.5. Camera on second stick is a given and single button for shotlocks. Perhaps more shortcut options for commands?

Kisame

They reverse engineered a retail copy of Final Mix so it is in a sense extracting stuff from iso in a way. They certainly didn't build much of anything from nothing, that is a ridicilous exaggeration like Sign said. This method has been used by Bluepoint Games who did the God of War and Metal Gear Solid HD collections so it isn't even a situation where they had neccessarily do the hard way. It has been proven to be a good method to port the assets.

As for Birth By Sleep I suggest you keep your expectations very low if you think they are going to add stuff like capes or even touch some of the more complex stuff. They will not change anything like that, they will upgrade the models, menus and sprites and that's it for graphical improvements. We would be lucky if we get 60fps. The best we can hope for is streamlining some of the controls and stuff the way they did with 1.5. Camera on second stick is a given and single button for shotlocks. Perhaps more shortcut options for commands?

Yes I agree with this ^

Anyhow it is super possible to extract things from an iso for pretty much every game.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
HD 2.5 ReMIX: So many games to remaster, so little time.

However, if they have the time and resources, the capes would be absolutely wonderful. If you guys haven't checked it out yet, look at the GameTrailers KINGDOM HEARTS Timeline video. In it, some of the footage from BBS was touched up and put in HD resolution, so it looks gorgeous. That oughta give you an idea of how it will look like in HD 2.5 ReMIX.

Sorakh212

Awards
Yeah this is something I've been wondering about as well. What will happen with the ported games for the PS3 in terms of graphic quality and how the command deck system will transfer over. I highly anticipate finding out what they do...if they ever even officially announce 2.5 that is, but come on you know they will right?!?! :wink:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Nomura practically indirectly announced it in his last interview in France, so I guess we can rest assured on that.
I expect the official announcement either on TGS this year or if not there at Jump Festa in December.

Jump Festa is Nomura's favorite event and by then 1.5 HD will be out for several weeks in all regions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nomura practically indirectly announced it in his last interview in France, so I guess we can rest assured on that.
I expect the official announcement either on TGS this year or if not there at Jump Festa in December.

Jump Festa is Nomura's favorite event and by then 1.5 HD will be out for several weeks in all regions.

Expect it sooner than Jump Festa. If not TGS, D23 is probably it.

Pestilence

Awards
I just hope 2.5 has more sensible localization time than 1.5. If 2.5 releases in Japan in March like 1.5 I'd hope for early summer release. Like late May/early June or something. With PSP SE did faster localizations in the latter titles since the platform was fading away so hopefully they do the same with 2.5 even tho PS3 is not quite in a same situation. 2.5 should require less work too with the lack of rerecording 3 hour movies and lip synching and stuff but there is still little work with the new FM content for both BBS and KH2.

Well that is enough off-topic. Biggest issue with BBS port will be the textures. The least they should do is remaster the main characters. For instance the textures of the straps are TERRIBLE when the camera gets close.

As for announcement the recent interview makes me thing D23. Shame, I'd like to have it at TGS but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back