• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Birth by Sleep - Controls

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detronilizer

Alright, this is what I think the controls will be, using all the information we have so far. Just a quick recap of the main battle system:

Here's a typical battle in BBS:

bbs_4.jpg

Now then, the way it works is you attack with circle (this is only in the Japanese version; you attack with X in the english version). You see the three commands above attack? That's what I'll call the "Command Deck". Pressing triangle activates the selected attack, then the next move will take its place. The attack you have just used charges (as seen with the orange bit). A bit like CoM, eh? I believe you can mix and match attacks by both attacking and using moves from the Command Deck to form combos. Maybe you can press the up and down directional buttons to switch between moves.

Now what I'm thinking is that three moves is too little, so I think that as you level up, you gain more "Command Bars". Three Bars make up one Command Deck. To scroll through Decks, you press select. I also believe that you have a "Medical Deck" where you can assign Cure, potions, ethers, etc. to any of the three Bars in that Deck. You will only have ONE Medical Deck, and it will ALWAYS be the last Deck. So at the beginning of the game (when you still have only one Command Deck) and you need to heal, you can simply press select to go to the Medical Deck and use Cure or a potion. But as you gain more Bars and create more Decks, it's going to become more difficult to get to the Medical Deck because you'll need to scroll through like six Decks to get to it, and that'll be pretty frustrating. So this is what I think, to jump straight to the last Deck (aka. Medical Deck), you simply press the right directional button, and to jump to the first Deck, press the left directional button. Sound good?

Alright, let's get to what I think the controls are:

Analog Nub - Move character

L Button - Rotate camera left
R Button - Rotate camera right
L or R twice - Reset camera
L+R - Lock on

Up D-Button - Go up a Bar on the Command Deck
Down D-Button - Go down a Bar on the Command Deck
Right D-Button - Jump to last Deck (aka. Medical Deck)
Left D-Button - Jump to first Deck

X Button - Attack
Circle Button - Jump (press twice to air dodge)
Square Button - Guard (press while moving to do dodge move)
Triangle Button - Use selected command/Reaction Command

Start - Pause game
Select - Scroll through Command Decks

Last edited:

SleepingDragoon

Does the battle continue while you are scrolling through the command decks? Why not do the pause thing that they do in Ratchet and Clank games where when you hold down triangle and the game pauses while you select your weapon/gadget? You could do that instead of looking for the right card while you are defenceless and nearly dead and can't attack until you select an attack card.

Detronilizer

Does the battle continue while you are scrolling through the command decks? Why not do the pause thing that they do in Ratchet and Clank games where when you hold down triangle and the game pauses while you select your weapon/gadget? You could do that instead of looking for the right card while you are defenceless and nearly dead and can't attack until you select an attack card.

Well, that's why I thought that you can instantly go to the Medical Deck by pressing the right d-button. Wouldn't it be a bit too easy and slightly boring to keep pausing to select the right attack? For example, you want to use Fire, so you pause it and go to your second Deck to select it. You use Fire which lasts for a second, you still have 20 enemies left so you go to Aerial Slam which is in the sixth Deck, etc., etc. You see? Anyway, it's similar to CoM where you have to keep going through each card to find certain moves, which is hard especially with Cure. So I think it'll be a bit easier in BBS.

Koji

Still Alive
Awards
Yeah, that makes sense. Except I would think that the command bar restores on its own but not right away. You wont be able to use one move consecutively (except for the fight bar at the bottom), but if you got through the 2 other commands on the list, the command you used first should be full. In the pic, the Thunder command bar is restoring and it looks like 10% already done. But in the fight, Ven is still casting the Thunder, so it has started recharging fast, and while it was recharging, the cursor is sitting on the Aerial Break bar. So I think its an automatic recharge. Just my opinion.

Your key config sounds cool, better than any of my ideas, so I wont mention them :toungesmile:

I'd like the dodge roll back. I'm not sure about the Medical deck though.

Erlix

I hope the controls are like that on the real game and you forgot glide on the square button.

Detronilizer

In the pic, the Thunder command bar is restoring and it looks like 10% already done. But in the fight, Ven is still casting the Thunder, so it has started recharging fast, and while it was recharging, the cursor is sitting on the Aerial Break bar. So I think its an automatic recharge. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I did mean an automatic recharge.

I hope the controls are like that on the real game and you forgot glide on the square button.

Hmm, well I think Glide might make it a bit too easy, don't you think? Maybe.

~azure.requiem

「fukanou.wa.NANIMO. desu」
Awards
Website
azure-requiem.tumblr.com
Holy crap!

Welcome back Koji san.
Numbaa Wan Raivaru desu.
^_^

~ what is this i see? the illustrious pmf actually looking up to someone? with respect even???? (he used a freakin honorific! i had to say somethin!)
~ to detronilizer, i think you're on to somethin here. i wouldn't be surprized if those were the exact controls or just a little different.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
~ what is this i see? the illustrious pmf actually looking up to someone? with respect even???? (he used a freakin honorific! i had to say somethin!)

Well, Koji is the only person I see and acknogledge here as a rival. We missed Koji. He and I got a sticky shut down together...good times.

Detronilizer, if our thumbs are on the analog nub, how are we going to switch to the other decks? Like I'm running away from DS because I'm low on health, do you think it's smart for me to stand there and take damage to heal? Did you think that one that far ahead?

~azure.requiem

「fukanou.wa.NANIMO. desu」
Awards
Website
azure-requiem.tumblr.com
Well, Koji is the only person I see and acknogledge here as a rival. We missed Koji. He and I got a sticky shut down together...good times.

Detronilizer, if our thumbs are on the analog nub, how are we going to switch to the other decks? Like I'm running away from DS because I'm low on health, do you think it's smart for me to stand there and take damage to heal? Did you think that one that far ahead?

~ hmph. lucky. :cry: i wanna shut down a sticky. i only get to shut down regular threads when you're not here to shut 'em down before me.
~ *looks at the 2nd half of the quote* hm. didn't think of it like that, but then again we all should be kinda used to takin more damage to heal ourselves. menu work ain't exactly a picnic.

Detronilizer

There are ways to avoid this:

The simplest method is to run far enough, press the right d-button to jump straight to the Medical Deck and heal; really, that should take less than 3 seconds.

The second but slightly longer way is to keep pressing select (which, if you read, lets you scroll through the Decks) while running away until you get to the Medical Deck (this is similar to CoM where we usually had to scroll through a dozen cards to get to Cure, only this time in BBS we should have less to scroll through). We survived doing that in CoM so why not here?

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
There are ways to avoid this:

The simplest method is to run far enough, press the right d-button to jump straight to the Medical Deck and heal; really, that should take less than 3 seconds.

The second but slightly longer way is to keep pressing select (which, if you read, lets you scroll through the Decks) while running away until you get to the Medical Deck (this is similar to CoM where we usually had to scroll through a dozen cards to get to Cure, only this time in BBS we should have less to scroll through). We survived doing that in CoM so why not here?

1. You obviously had a bad deck combination.
2. Now if DS has a DASH move where he "runs on your spot like CJ from San Andreas", we're all SOL. I never had to stop in COM except to reload, until I got that one card. Why repeat the same dumb mistake?
3. The button combo is a mistake, now you're just trying to justtify it.

Erlix

But you can just keep presing the X button to attack while you search for a deck or a comand cuz the attack button will be the same all the time.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
But you can just keep presing the X button to attack while you search for a deck or a comand cuz the attack button will be the same all the time.

So while I'm attacking, I'm also using commands I need for other battles...think about that one.

Detronilizer

It really isn't that difficult, PMF. For one thing, the directional buttons are closer to the analog nub on the PSP than the PS2 controller. Heck, you can easily press the right d-button while running with the analog nub at the same time.

So the DS hits you and you have 1 HP left. Jump away then quickly press right then triangle while in the air and bam - healed. Even with the shortcut button in the previous games, people used this "run/jump and heal" strategy in many hard boss battles. So it'll take half a second longer in BBS, so what? This battle system is a lot easier than CoM's.

So while I'm attacking, I'm also using commands I need for other battles...think about that one.

What do you mean by that? You can use the commands an unlimited number of times, they just charge for a short time with each use. The Decks are also customizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back