• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Betwixt + Between

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What the hell just happened? What was that explosion and black fog? Where did Rena run off to now? Man, this is getting crazy, but, then again, it was already crazy to begin with. So, from what I gathered, Rena is afraid to go to Hollow Bastion either because she cannot fight, because she is afraid of Aoi and the other nobodies, or becuase she doesn't want the other to find out that she is a nobody herself. Well, at least that's what it seems like, but I could be wrong. Anyway, great job again, and I look forward to more.
Thankies for the comment! :) WHEEEEE FOR MORE CONFUSING STUFFS 8D I'll let the new chapters explain the stuff involving Rena and why she doesn't want to go to Hollow Bastion. Those things actually all have to do with her, though... but not specifically with her reason for not wanting to go to HB :D
Rena is really uncertain, it's kind of cute^^ And I wonder what happen? And what is Rena doing? Nice chapter!
Thankies for the comment! Yaaaaaay for cute xD;

WRITER'S BLOCK IS OVER. YAAAAY. :DDD Have a new chapter! I might have to edit the second part, though, but I'll post up this for now. Enjoy! :)

-----------------

015 + FALLING INSIDE THE BLACK

Buh-bump.

Like the rapid taps on concrete.

Buh-bump.

Etched in her ears. Slamming back and forth. Right. Left. Right. Left.

Stubby nails digging into flesh. Torrid pain echoing in her palms.

All she heard were her own footsteps.

Buh-bump.

And that heartbeat slamming in her ears.

His voice was miles away. Calling, screaming.

Rena!

Questioning why she was being foolish. Why she would just run off like that!

Buh-bump.

Oh, how she wanted to be a hero. To be brave, to be strong! Just like Ven. She would give anything to be like Ven. Even if it was foolish; even if it was stupid.

Buh-bump.

A hero showed no fear. Never scared, always rushing into battle.

Buh-bump.

She could only fall on her knees. Only throw her weapon and hope it would be enough. It was pathetic. Worthless!

Buh-bump.

Aoi would never turn her into a scared little child again. She would be a hero. Become brave and strong. Become heroic.

Bum-bump.

This was the perfect place to start.

Click.

One last footstep against cobblestone. Like headlights, blue orbs penetrated into the darkness. Thick, murky blackness. A dense, shadowed jungle of fog, where the only light came from purple-tinted street lamps.

The neon signs fell limp. The shop windows blackened. The warm, cozy town had been blanketed by cold, malicious black. There were no bright stars shining overhead; just that tangled canopy.

What happened to Traverse Town?

Click. Click.

Her stance grew rigid. She inched closer to the ground, ready to jump. Ready to fight.

Click. Click.

Deep blue orbs staring forwards, her eyelids squinted together. To see through the darkness.

The calm light of the mural. A soft, slow, steady sound of water rushing around it. But the mural had been tainted: you couldn't see the pristine, white art. It was as if someone had thrown enormous globs of black paint over the canvas and its brick border.

But those globs were moving.

Click. Click.

Her sight made out round shapes. Quirky black sticks that zig-zagged upwards, twitching. And golden yellow circles that could glow in the dark.

Heartless!

They shuffled, scrambled. Throwing their claws into each other. Kicking their brethren. Slashing. Shoving. Obsession. They had to get to it! They had to!

The keyhole.

Clickclickclick!

They were after the keyhole!

"No!"

What did they want with the keyhole? She didn't understand it! But Ven wanted it sealed.

Clickclickclick!

Perhaps it wasn't sealed. Perhaps she failed.

Clickclickclick!

Then she had to do something! They couldn't have it!

Clickclickclick!

She pushed forwards, determined to be bold.

But, she didn't know how to stop them.

scuff!

Her oversized sneakers slid across the ground. She stood up straight and tall. Eyelids almost pressed together again, her blue orbs surveyed the creatures.

"Ha!"

Fingertips sliding forth across the slick skin. Her arms pulled together and she stumbled back.

"Nngh!"

Sliding out of her arms was a Shadow, wide-eyed and kicking. Its arms flailing as they pointed up into the air. Claws scratching wildly. Its antenna twitching this way and that way. It had to get it!

Rena struggled to keep her grip on the creature. Her arms wrapped around its torso. "Leave it alone!"

They wouldn't listen. They would never, ever listen to her. They had to get to the keyhole! Impulse, obsession. It drove them mad.

The Shadow that was half her size reached up into the air. Its eyes locked onto the mural.

"Nngh!"

thump!

The dark creature scampered off like a dog, kicking across the ground and back to the keyhole.

Rena groaned, hissing from the three slices on her cheek. Blood begun to trickle down her skin.

"Darn it..."

She didn't care about getting hurt. She only cared about stopping them!

SHISH!

The flash of light, surrounded by coils of black. It shaped into that metallic and sapphire weapon, held tightly in her grasp, and the girl rushed forwards.

"Cut it out!"

SLICE!

Metal ringing through a sea of black. That one slice couldn't penetrate their flesh; her petty attempt to attack was overlooked.

Another try! Just another one!

"Ha!"

SLICE!

Another.

SLICE!

Another...

SLICE!

Another!

Yet...

CLANG!

No matter how hard she tried, nothing worked. They wouldn't stop.

It clanged across the cobblestone. The key on the ground eyed its wielder as she stumbled back.

Her hands dripping with a thick, black fluid: the Heartless' blood. The key touched them, sure, but... it did nothing.

They still scrambled. Scratched. Slashed. Obsessed.

Rena jumped forwards.

"Ha!"

Her hands felt their slick skin sliding up her arms. Like slime slowly crawling onto you, from your head to your torso.

She pushed forwards. On her hands and knees. Into the tangle of Heartless.

Feeling them scratch and claw. Kick each other. Kick her. Yet, she still fought to go forwards.

No avail!

"Nngh!"

They pushed her back, kicking her in the face. This girl now sat on the ground, covered head to toe in scratches, scoffs, and black, oily blood.

A sharp intake of breath.

Another.

Another!

"Darn it!"

slam!

The tomboy banged her fist into the ground. Frustrated.

slam!

"Darn it!"

The side of her fist throbbed. More and more as she slammed her hand into the ground.

But it stopped. She knew... that did nothing. Her fist grew loose... her fingers uncurling as her palm turned downwards, pressing against the cobblestone.

Her deep blue orbs stared at her fingers spread apart. Eyes moving from her fingertips... to her knees... then up.

At the mural.

As those orbs softened... she knew...

I screwed up.

Would those Heartless be on the mural, attacking it so fiercely, if she hadn't followed Ven? Perhaps the keyhole wasn't sealed... or maybe she made things worse...

Her arms shook.

She couldn't defeat them! No matter how hard she tried, they never once turned around and looked at her. Never once did her blade cut flesh, nor did it keep the creatures away.

swoosh...

They only thought she was a petty threat... ignoring her, continuing to scramble and scrape. Scratch, kick, bite. Anything to get to the keyhole!

click. click. click.

Why did she have to be such a weak child?

click. click. click.

Why couldn't she get their attention? Why did everybody have to look over her and scoff, calling her 'weak' or 'puny'?

click. click. click.

Why did Aoi have to force her to believe she was so worthless and helpless and weak...

As her deep blue orbs stared and focused... narrowing as she watched the Shadows squiggle and squirm... her gaze spotted a shadow.

A presence.

The girl immediately jumped to her feet, still staring at the blackened mural in the darkness.

click.

One step...

Her gaze shifted to the right...

click.

Another step. A turn.

Her hands tensing. Clammy.

click.

Another step. Another turn.

Her shoulders and neck. Tensing up.

Then she saw them.

Rena took a slight step back.

A black cloaked figure... standing statically a few feet away. A shadow cast over their face from their oversized hood, hiding their features.

A stutter. Her eyes narrowing, but echoing the anxiety of her heart throbbing in her neck.

"Ah... oi..."

"No."

It was immediate.

Rena's eyes snapped open for a single moment. Blue orbs scanning over the figure. Studying every line, contour, and shade.

But none of their features echoed Aoi's own.

Her clammy hands grew tight. Her fingers curled inwards, tempting to shape into fists.

click... click...

A step to the side. As her arms tensed up.

"Who're... you?"

"I am nothing." The voice was... monotone, for certain.

Rena curiously quirked a brow. 'Nothing'? What a funny name...

"Well..." a gulp, "What'd you want?"

A chuckle. The figure was surely smirking.

"Simple."

click. click. click.

Rena's eyes narrowed... watching the figure come closer.

Closer.

Closer...

"Nngh!"

Slipping to the side. Tumbling to the ground. Hand latching onto the weapon lying there.

As blood spurting down her arm...

Fingers tensing. Around the handle.

clickclickclick!

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see them... Turning ever so slowly...

SLAM!

"Ah!"

SHING!

Pressure rippled against the metal. Her knees bent unwillingly as she tempted to keep the opposing weapon at bay.

Is that...

Her eyes grew wide.

A... keyblade?

"Ha!"

The weapon pulled away. It tempted to slam into the tomboy's stomach.

But she jerked back. And pulled away.

"Coward!"

How was that possible?!

clickclickclick!

It looked just like her keyblade!

clickclickclick!

Same shape. Same keychain!

clickclickclick!

Just black!

"Nngh!"

Rena tumbled to the side, dodging another slash.

Her feet skidded across the ground.

SLAM!

"Nngh!"

clickclickclick!

And that voice...

"Coward!"

It was...

clickclickclick!

Distorted. Empathic. Animalistic.

clickclickclick!

But...

clickclickclick!

It was... her's.

scuff!

Her feet dug into the ground. Rena held up her keyblade. Watching the enigma draw closer...

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!

"Nngh!"

Black key slamming into her weapon. One slam. Another slam. Another!

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!

Over and over again!

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!

She tried to stop them.

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!

But no avail.

"Nngh!"

Things felt dizzy for a single moment. Her side... throbbing. Blood trickling down her leg.

Yet the enigma continued attacking.

And Rena took off. The keys locked and tied.

SCRAPEEEE!

The figure spun around and pulled their weapon back, pulling the girl closer.

"Nngh!"

Another slam into her stomach. This time, it worked.

Rena stumbled back. Numb... not dizzy...

SLICE!

As the blade sliced across her chest.

Blood trickled down her shirt. Scampering down like spiders. Crawling into the white of her t-shirt.

Her back throbbed as it harshly met the ground. But she wasn't done.

Her hands pressed against the ground... The tomboy sat up straight.

"What're you..." A sharp intake of breath. She choked. Her shoes clicked as she stood. "S-Supposed to be...?"

click. click. click.

"I am nothing."

A frail hand curled around the hem of the hood.

click. click. click.

"But one day..."

Pushed back, it made its descend. Falling... to their shoulders...

click. click. click.

"I will be more..."

The hood didn't fall.

It disintegrated.

click. click. click.

"...than just a shadow."

click. click . . .

Rena's gaze snapped onto the ground.

Numbness set in...

She waited.

Go on.

A harsh sigh pressed through her nose.

Do it...

The figure stepped closer...

They...

That figure... They were gone!

"Huh?"

She blinked. Once. Twice. Not comprehending what happened... Just fight and taunt then leave? It made no sense!

The girl growled, staring at her arms.

Face it: for trying to be heroic... she wasn't doing a very good job. Quite frankly, she sucked at this hero thing. She was covered in cuts, drained, and ready to fall onto the ground, unconscious.

She stumbled and swayed as she stood there, blue orbs staring blankly at herself.

Her blue orbs turned...

But she couldn't stop yet. There had to be a way to stop the Heartless! She turned, even though she wobbled, and stared at the mural.

They still scratched. They still kicked. They still scrambled. To claim the keyhole.

Even if she sucked at being a hero, Rena wouldn't give up. She would keep on trying!

"NNGH!"

What?

It came. It rippled across her back. What happened... What happened...?

huff huff huff

What was--

A stumble back. Hand thrown over her chest. She cringed. Teeth baring. Fingernails digging. Twitching.

Trying to rip her heart out!

No!

Numb. Spreading. From the centre... to her fingertips...

SHING!

"Ah!"

It crawled down... Like spiders slowly crawling and pouring down to the girl's shoes. She swayed, staring forwards.

What's--

Everything felt slick. Oily. As if her hands were drenched in it. Feeling sluggish. Like she was standing in mud. Frozen... trying to crawl...

Her vision darkened. It trailed slowly, echoing images. Trying to look at the mural.

Yet... it was all dark...

Ahhh...

Numb... Numb... Numb. Numb.

A soft echo against her back. Her eyes aimlessly stared at the sky. With nowhere else to stare. Frozen. Blinking. Staring blankly.

Huff... huff... hah...

Swimming, floating. In oil... Her eyes snapped open. Bloodshot. Still staring...

Everything felt heavy. Imaginative weights around her feet. Her arms. Her hands. Her legs. Her torso.

Her neck.

Tempting to pull her deeper into the tide.

Yet, she laid on the cobblestone. Motionless. There was only the small twitch.

And nothing else...

But her hand moved.

For a moment... it moved...

Held over her bloodshot eyes.

Why's my...

She choked to keep those thoughts.

My... hand...

It fell. Against the ground. Beside the frozen, twitching girl.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Lectori Salutem

secretly sadistic
I think I am just as confused as Rena... I really don't get it anymore^^ That's not necessarily bad. For the story it is good to build up suspense. As a reader I just want to know what the heck is going on! ^^ Oh, and Aoi really messed her up, didn't he? She has no confidence at all, it's quite sad. And it proves he is the perfect psycho! ^^

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t
What the hell just happened?!?! Is Rena dead? Did the Heartless take her heart? Who was the mysterious person who attacked her? It sounded a lot like they were Rena's nobody, but that doesn't sound right considering that you already said Rena is already a nobody. Man, this is really getting crazy and confusing now. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think I am just as confused as Rena... I really don't get it anymore^^ That's not necessarily bad. For the story it is good to build up suspense. As a reader I just want to know what the heck is going on! ^^ Oh, and Aoi really messed her up, didn't he? She has no confidence at all, it's quite sad. And it proves he is the perfect psycho! ^^
Thankies for the comment! :D Oh gosh, I didn't realize that I had left so many things unanswered! Ack! XD; I hope this bit makes things less confusing... but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll try to answer everything that won't be answered in a chapter. :D

YAY HE MESSED HER UP! ......wait. that's not a good thing. D: I hope she gets her confidence back... It's starting to sound like she'll get it back >.>; Yay for him being a psycho, though! 83
What the hell just happened?!?! Is Rena dead? Did the Heartless take her heart? Who was the mysterious person who attacked her? It sounded a lot like they were Rena's nobody, but that doesn't sound right considering that you already said Rena is already a nobody. Man, this is really getting crazy and confusing now. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.
Thankies for the comment! :) AHHHH IT IS CONFUSING. *headdesk* Sorries! D: Like I said to Lectori, let me know if there's anything unanswered in this chapter... I'll try my best to explain it if it won't be answered in a chapter! :D I hope this chapter answers some (or all!) of your questions! Except that mysterious person question. :d That won't be answered specifically until a WHIIIIIIIIIIIIILE later. 8D; They're definitely not her Nobody, though!

I was going to post this up later because the last part was so confusing, but I had to edit it some more first. xD; I wanted to get this onnnne part right! And, just a quickie warning... Yeah, warning. DD: Even with all of the stuff Aoi did, this is WORSE; at least I think so... There's one part in this chapter that might make you sick or just be plain grotesque. I was getting a little sick while I wrote it. XD; Just thought I'd warn you... I hope it's scary instead of being grotesque. D:

Anywhooooo~ Here's the next chapter part! I'll start posting the next chapter next week! :D

-------------

"Rena!"

clickclickclick!

What was she thinking?! To take off like that!

"Rena!"

clickclickclick!

To go into the darkness. To try and be bold. Why did she do that?! He couldn't understand... why someone could be so reckless.

scuff!

His electric blue orbs stared forwards, brow furrowing with curiosity...

The town was normal. Fully, completely ordinary. There was no linger darkness hiding the shops or the sky. There was no ominous, foreboding feeling creeping up your spine.

There was light. Warm, soothing light.

"Rena."

His eyes stared forwards, repeating that name once more. He could see her, plain as day, in this brick-covered district with its comforting warmth. It was such a relief to find his friend there, safe.

click... click...

The brunette girl stared forwards, transfixed on the water fountain. At the illuminated painting surrounded by brick.

click... click...

"Hey..."

Every step closer... every step lead him to realize that she never budged. No movement. By now, the tomboy would've been running at him, ecstatic or grinning.

There was no such movement.

click. click. click.

Closer...

closer...

click. click. click.

He reached out a hand. His fingertips eager to press again the cold metal on her shoulders.

click.

His fingertips pressed against the cool, cold, slick metal. Hanging in mid-air, a light touch.

That hand shuttered... as the girl turned her gaze. Turning to gaze at the blonde boy.

With her blank, emotionless, yellow eyes.

SLAM!

There was an explosion of darkness, like smoke rippling and rising into the air! Right where Rena was standing... or had been.

His orbs dashed to the side.

"Rena!"

His hands clammy. Staring at the darkened town. The shops, the streets, the fountain, the stars... All of it dark. Pitch-black night was nothing compared to this.

"Ren--!!"

SLAM!

A hack. A choke. As blood splattered across his chest.

His chest throbbing. As if it has been sliced tenfold. Blood trickled to the blackened ground.

The boy's gaze dashed forwards.

To meet those golden orbs.

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiss..."

Skin, black and purple. Clothes and hair, all black. Claws and shoes clicked as they shifted forwards. And those eyes...

A... Heartless? A shadow? It looked too human...

SHISH!

"Ah!"

His twin weapons flew in front of him. Crossing to an X.

CLANG!

Claws wrapped around his blades. Curling so sweetly as its feet pressed against the outer handles. Those nails clicked on the metal. Those eyes stared at the boy...

srishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

As metal scraped and screamed.

"Rrgh!"

One pulled away, slicing across the creature's torso!

"Sssssah!"

The creature was thrown back, black goo dripping onto the blackened cobblestone. Yet it jumped to its feet, staring up at the boy with those beady orbs.

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiss..."

Ven growled, watching as glops of gooey, black blood slapped against the ground. Splattering as it spit from its wound. What a foul beast...

"Sssah!"

CLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG!

The weapons locked together again. The creature slashed and slashed and slashed to push them away.

Its eyes never looked away from his chest.

"Ssssssssssish!"

SCRAPE!

Distracted! Suddenly, blood trickled down his cheek from the open cut.

"Ahhhhh!"

SLICE!

"Shiss!"

It fell back through the air. The creature doubled over, pressing its claws into the ground.

Harsh yellow orbs locked onto the boy. It continued to move, twitching and swaying, as black, purple swirls and streams phased off of the creature. Blood slapped against the ground still. Its head tilted side to side.

It crept closer. Pressing its knuckles against the cobblestone.

click. click. click.

It licked the black bars that halted its speech. The black goo that oozed over its mouth, clamping it shut.

"Shissss..."

Those yellow orbs locked onto his chest. It cocked its head. Nostrils flared, taking in a scent.

Buh-bump.

It echoed in his ears.

And it wanted that.

Buh-bump.

It wanted it so... badly...

THUMP!

It pounced off of the ground. Charging. Racing. Towards him!

MINE!

It wanted to scream that. Scream as those claws snapped inside of his chest. As it ripped out his heart!

THUMPTHUMPTHUMP!

Ven readied his weapons. Twirling them. Awaiting an attack. He wasn't afraid. It was only a lowly Heartless...

But it slid around.

scuff!

It slammed that sneaker into his back.

"Nngh!" Ven stumbled, cursing. He swirled around.

He was pushed out into the air. Floating. Hovering.

Scratches etching into his skin. A scrape. Scrape. Scratch. Scrape. A shoe slammed into his back. One right after the other!

SLAM!

His back throbbed, rippling pain as he slammed into the ground.

"Nngh..." He rose up from the cobblestone, watching the creature. It landed. Twitching and edging closer.

"Shisssss..."

Mine...

It would have his heart. And it would devour it.

Clickclickclick.

It hovered over him. Slamming its claws over his chest. Pinning him to the ground. Staring right into his eyes. As if hypnotizing the boy.

Ven grabbed onto its wrist.

As claws started to dig into his flesh.

"Ahh..."

A sharp, quick stab. One long nail pressing into his thin flesh.

sqirch...

Blood trickled down his shirt... A hole begun to rip through flesh as the creature tempted to dig those long, thin claws into his chest.

crackkkkkkk...

A shudder echoed down his spine.

"A-Ahhh..."

That claw, buried beneath that skin and pulsing muscle, grasped the thick bone in the midst of his chest. Its claw stained in blood as it dug within the core of this boy.

sqirch...

Blood spat up in drops. Splashing onto his cheek, his chin.

He stared into his golden orbs. Shuddering. Embracing that torrid, torrid pain that ripped through his chest.

Numbness... begun to take over...

As the creature's thin tongue licked across those gooey, thick webs over its mouth.

Miiiiiiiiine...

Its arm pulled back ever... so... slowly...

No!

Those orbs snapped open.

Staring... at the chip of darkness that fell from its cheek... onto Ven's chest.

"Aa--ah--hh..."

Stop it!

"Ssssssssish!!"

SQUIRSH!

"Ah!!" Ven choked as the creature's arm and claw pulled out of his chest.

huff huff huff

He stared at the gory crater in his chest, spying the blood drenched bone that protected his heart. An enormous shudder echoed through himself as he watched blood drip down his shirt.

"YoU wIlL nOt OvErPoWeR mE!"

His gaze jerked up.

The creature was locked in the air. Legs flailing as it fought against its own claws. Those claws tried to rip the darkness off of their face.

It hissed and swung side to side, fighting and fighting! It wouldn't give up! It wouldn't let go!

But black goo splattered to the ground, away from that pale skin. The bars in front of its mouth were peeled away, the darkness gone.

A brown hue was visible after the blackness peeled away, revealing that brunette hair.

There, in midair, fighting against the dark strings trying to reattach to its host...

"Rena!"

The boy slid to his feet as quickly as he could, grasping his twin weapons. Blood from his torso splattered to the ground, less gooey than the darkness slapping against the cobblestone.

"YoU'rE mInE, yOu BrAt!!" The darkness fighting to mesh into her skin screamed, flailing as Rena slammed into the ground. It grew golden eyes, like paint on a mesh canvas, that tried to slide back over her own.

"Go--" she strained through harshly bared teeth, "ah-- way!"

slapslapslapslap

Globs of the darkness slapped into the ground, acting as if it were rain. Falling and slamming in huge drops against the cobblestone.

"Ah!"

A slam into the ground.

huff huff huff

"Ah..." Rena's gaze darted around wildly. No darkness was left on the girl. The parasite was gone!

It was... gone. She breathed a sigh of relief... stepping slowly to her feet.

click... click... click...

"Rena...?"

Her gaze drifted from the cobblestone... to the boy.

slap

As blood splattered on the ground. Her eyes snapped open. Staring... at the hole in his chest.

"Hah..." Eyes snapped open; bloodshot. She choked, a stuttering gasp hiding behind her hands.

She stared at the boy, her hands thrown over her mouth. Shaking. Shaking. Shaking.

Staring at what she had done...

click...

"No!" Ven exclaimed as Rena took a step back. He took a step forwards, "It's alright... It's not your fault..."

clickclick...

The tomboy shook her head harshly. Her bangs slapped across her face. Another step backwards. Another.

She did that. She did that. She did that...

"Nngh!"

clickclickclickclickclickclick!

"No!"

Ven started cursing under his breath, jolting after the girl. She was terrified, guilty, but she hadn't done anything wrong! Why run? It wasn't her fault!

clickclickclickclick!

scuff!!

"No..."

His eyes stared wide at the archway. The oval-shaped pool of black and purple... A portal.

Did she...

"Blondie!"

clickclickclick!

Footsteps and a gasp. Shock? Fear?

"What's goin'--?!"

Raynie had seen the Heartless attacking the fountain. She had seen the darkness, of course. He knew all of that when he turned around, witnessing more Heartless crawling forwards from portals.

It felt like someone had tried to defeat them before... and failed.

When the ground started to shudder, it was true.

"I have to find Rena!" His finger stabbed at the portal behind him. It was still there; as if waiting for him...

"Whoawhoawhoa!" Raynie stumbled back, standing on the road before the district's door. "You gotta be kidding me!"

"Get in the gummi! Meet me in Twilight Town!"

Another shudder.

"...What happened to you?!"

Ven... said nothing from this side of the district.

A light scoff came from beyond the fountain. From Raynie. There was a rustle of fabric.

"Curaga!"

Green sparks jumped out of the air and suddenly wrapped around the boy's torso. The powerful spell was only enough to heal the wound in his chest; all of his other scratches lingered. He breathed a much needed sigh of relief.

STOMP!

"Dammit, you guys gotta stop wasting my materia!"

"Get in the gummi!" Ven snapped, suddenly racing forwards... into the portal, "Twilight Town!"

He didn't wait to see if she would listen. He just turned... and started running faster.

clickclickclick!

Like jumping into the ocean. Coolness suddenly jumped at him as his feet sprung through the portal.

The darkness curled around his arms, dragging him in. The cool grip wrapped around him... refusing to let him go.

shiiiiish...

click.

No shudders. Just silence and darkness. He stared into the darkness.

"Rena...?"

clickclickclick.

"Nngh!"

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Okay, the part where Heartless Rena tried to rip out Ven's heart was really nasty. Just picturing Ven with a gaint hole in his chest with blood oozing from it made me shudder; I'm probably going to have nightmares about that now, but maybe not. Now, I really want to ask you this question, are Rena and Ven nobodies or not? I ask because you say Ven is Roxas, and Roxas is a nobody, but those two have hearts, and nobodies aren't supposed to have hearts because they would be normal people if they did. I'm just kind of confused as to what Ven and Rena really are. Oh well, I'm sure all will be revealed in due time. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to the next update.

Lectori Salutem

secretly sadistic
It at least explains what happened in the first part of chapter 15. That's good to know^^ I doubt the evnts in this chapter will give Rena more confidence, though... Poor girl. All she's doing now is running away, because she thinks that's all she can do... And that part definitely deserved a warning. I'm not one to get nightmares easily, so that won't be a problem for me (instead I can't fall asleep at all, so if that happens I know who I can blame^^), but I can imagine some people better not read that...

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okay, the part where Heartless Rena tried to rip out Ven's heart was really nasty. Just picturing Ven with a gaint hole in his chest with blood oozing from it made me shudder; I'm probably going to have nightmares about that now, but maybe not. Now, I really want to ask you this question, are Rena and Ven nobodies or not? I ask because you say Ven is Roxas, and Roxas is a nobody, but those two have hearts, and nobodies aren't supposed to have hearts because they would be normal people if they did. I'm just kind of confused as to what Ven and Rena really are. Oh well, I'm sure all will be revealed in due time. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to the next update.
Thankies for the comment! :D And YAY FOR IT BEING NASTY... or not. Ack. I don't think I'll put something like that in PoH again. XD; I feel bad for putting it in, but it's almost like it needed to be there... I hope you don't have nightmares! DD: *gives cookie*
As for the Nobody stuff... yup, definitely being revealed in due time. xD; The stuff about Ven/Roxas will be revealed in the next chapter, actually, so I won't say anything about him yet :D As for Rena... that's a couple of chapters away, but that'll be revealed too. I'll say this, though: Aoi was right and wrong~ 83
It at least explains what happened in the first part of chapter 15. That's good to know^^ I doubt the evnts in this chapter will give Rena more confidence, though... Poor girl. All she's doing now is running away, because she thinks that's all she can do... And that part definitely deserved a warning. I'm not one to get nightmares easily, so that won't be a problem for me (instead I can't fall asleep at all, so if that happens I know who I can blame^^), but I can imagine some people better not read that...
Thankies for the comment! :D I feel bad for Rena about the confidence thing XD; Ack! I'll definitely make sure she becomes more confident in the next chapters... though not just yet. ^^; I guess running away is kinda good, though... Bad thing, yeah, but I kinda want her to run away right now and not be brave and bold just yet... And yay for this part answering the stuff from the beginning of the chapter! :D I hope this part doesn't keep you from sleeping, though... Ahhhhh D8; I'm definitely not doing anything like that again...

As for chapter stuff... I would post up the next chapter, but I won't at the moment. Only because I'm not very far on the other chapters and I don't want to lag behind again. xD; I won't be able to work on writing again until after I finish this art... I procrastinated REALLY badly and I'm paying for it. ;___; NEVER PROCRASTINATE WITH ARTWORK. At all! But I have to send it in on Wednesday, so I can start writing again then. :D

If you reeeeeeeeally want something to read, I can post up a preview, though! I just have to figure out what to post... 8D;; Yeahhhhh.

Lectori Salutem

secretly sadistic
It didn't keep me from sleeping at all, so you don't need to worry. Sometimes a story needs a scary nasty part like that^^ And as long as she won't run away the entire story (that would be boring) it's fine with me if she runs now.

... previews are nice ... ^^ You can choose if you want to post a preview or not. If you'll post one, I'll read it, like it and be curious. If you won't post one, I'll still want to read the next chapter very much, and you won't have spoiled anything. Surprises are nice, too^^ I don't care much...

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Man, I really envy you, Rena. You seem to have a lot of time to do cool things like artwork and fan-fiction; if I even to have time to sit down for ten minutes just to collect myself, it is an absolute miracle. Seriously, my life is totally hectic. Anyway, just to let you know, I didn't have any nightmares about that gross scene with Ven; I had time to view other images and get other thoughts in my head, which did lead to some other crazy dreams, but whatever. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next chapter, and if you chose to post a preview, I'll read it, but if you don't, that's okay too.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It didn't keep me from sleeping at all, so you don't need to worry. Sometimes a story needs a scary nasty part like that^^ And as long as she won't run away the entire story (that would be boring) it's fine with me if she runs now.

... previews are nice ... ^^ You can choose if you want to post a preview or not. If you'll post one, I'll read it, like it and be curious. If you won't post one, I'll still want to read the next chapter very much, and you won't have spoiled anything. Surprises are nice, too^^ I don't care much...
Yaaaaaay then xD; Glad to hear that! And yeah... sometimes it does just need a scary part :D That part was to illustrate how nasty these 'Heartless' things get, so YOSHHHH. but i won't put anything like that in pieces of heart again .-. As for Rena running, from the chapter I wrote earlier... I think she's starting to get out of her running away habit. Maybe just a little bit! :D

I'm not going to post one... I'll just post the chapter instead :D I seriously didn't know what to post before for a preview... It's hard not to spoil it. ^^;
Man, I really envy you, Rena. You seem to have a lot of time to do cool things like artwork and fan-fiction; if I even to have time to sit down for ten minutes just to collect myself, it is an absolute miracle. Seriously, my life is totally hectic. Anyway, just to let you know, I didn't have any nightmares about that gross scene with Ven; I had time to view other images and get other thoughts in my head, which did lead to some other crazy dreams, but whatever. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next chapter, and if you chose to post a preview, I'll read it, but if you don't, that's okay too.
......YOU ENVY ME? WHUT. D8 Wowzers. Please, oh pleeeeeease don't be envious >: I do get to do a lot of stuff that I want to do (which is why homeschooling is awesome~ 8D more time to practice your skills!), but at the same time... I don't get a lot of it done. My school work is also INCREDIBLY behind, so much that I haven't even finished my senior year yet and people who live around me are already going back to school. Ughhhhh. Having a lot of time on your hands isn't always good. :< Pleeeeeeease don't be envious! I sorries about your life being all crazy busy, though... *gives cookie*

YOSH. Glad there weren't any nightmares! :D And crazy dreams are awesome... i think. owo But, yay for no nightmares! :D I'm not going to post up the preview... but the first part of this chapter instead.

As for the fic, here's the next chapter! I'm going to try to hurry up with chapter 19, since I'm supposed to finish it this week and I was working on 18 instead. xD; Ahhhhh. *headdesk* I hope you enjoy the new chapter! :)

-------------------

016 + SELECT?

Click, click, click.

Numb. Fuzzy.

"Nngh..."

He felt his fingers press against his forehead. Mildly rough and soft fabric was placed on his face.

His intense blue orbs flickered open.

Gloves?

"Roxas!"

He blinked. Once. Twice. His pupils stared out. Slick, slippery drops jumped at him. Slipping off of the sleek, smooth cloak. Etching into his thick, gelled spikes.

His eyes penetrated through the darkness.

Blue neon... a skyscraper with blank TV screens... dark alleys.

"Roxas!"

Something grabbed his arm! He jerked forwards, whirling around.

"What the heck 're you doin', Roxas?"

His eyes met a pair of fierce green orbs. But they were blurred. Everything about him was blurred. Smudged. As if the man were hiding behind frosty glass.

He could only make a black cloak, green eyes, and flamboyant red hair.

The boy took another step back. The cloak wrapped around him swayed.

"I'm not Roxas."

"'course you are!"

White on peach; a grin?

The boy turned, stepping away. Deeper into the city.

This guy was crazy! Whoever he was...

"And you're about to be a traitor in five seconds, if you don't get your ass back here."

A traitor? Quirking a brow uneasily, his footsteps slowed.

"They told me capture you."

The boy's foot turned to the side. He scoffed.

"But I'm not Roxas."

A fierce groan. "Yeah, you are!"

Clicking footsteps, splashing through water.

His tone... angry. "You're number thirteen, you've got a freakin' keyblade, and you're in the Organization with me! Remember?"

"I'm Ven."

Click, click, click.

A fierce growl. The boy bared his teeth. "And I'm not a damn Nobody like you!"

Clickclickclick

Pushing through the streets. Through the rain. Slipping and sliding. He didn't care where he went. As long as that Nobody wasn't there!

A Nobody! A lowlife. He wasn't one. No, he wasn't! He would never be one, either.

He wasn't Roxas. He had nothing to do with Sora...

Why did this keep on happening?

"Where are you going, Roxas?"

swish

His feet slid as he came to a stop. Water from a puddle slid into his shoes, penetrating the fabric.

His deep blue pupils darted to the side. His heart skipped a beat.

Naminé.

Like white on black, the girl stood nearby in the alleyway. White, blonde, and peach contrasted against black, purple, and blue. He stared at her, studing her, as she stepped towards him.

A sigh pushed through his lips. He placed his gloved hand over a patch of thick hair.

"Who was that guy?"

"Don't you remember?"

The girl came closer. Not like a ghost, but like a real person. The rain, however, never managed to touch her soft skin.

His head turned side to side as he watched her.

"You're both friends." A meek smile formed on the corners of her lips. "Best friends. Remember?"

He furrowed his brow.

"No--"

SLAM!

"Nngh!"

He doubled over. Hand pressed against his eyes. Trying to hold back the images. They wouldn't stop!

He saw the red-headed man. Not blurred behind glass. He could see his face! He knew who it was.

Every time they were sitting on the clocktower, eating ice cream. Every time they were within a castle, a fortress. Every time they were battling Heartless.

He could always see his face.

And they were always smiling, grinning, laughing. No matter what.

"What's his name, Roxas?"

Back into reality. He stared at the ground. Taking in sharp intakes of breath. One right after the other.

huff... huff...

His fingers pressed against his knees.

"I..."

What was it? It was on the tip of his tongue! That name...

"Ah... kuu..."

His eyes narrowed. Locking onto the rough concrete ground beneath his feet. It was there! Right there. He had it. He had his name! What was it?!

It was there; he knew it! What was it...

huff... huff...

"...Ah..."

There.

It came.

"It's..." his intense orbs scanned the ground, "It's... Axel."

"Hm."

Sliding up, standing up straight. His eyes darted into the girl's own blue eyes.

"Is that his name?"

"Yes." Her eyes narrowed.

"And he's my best friend?"

"Yes."

His fingertips pressed against his forehead. His palm against his eye.

How could he forget about Axel? Like a wave crashing to shore, memories came back:

He remembered all of the times that they walked through the halls of a castle. All of the times they sat up on a clock tower, blue ice cream always at hand.

He remembered how Axel hated the stuff at first; he grew on him, though. They would always sit up on the clock tower and just... well... talk.

You know why the sunset's always red?

A smile curled at the edges of his lips.

You're just trying to show off, Axel!

How could he forget about his best friend?

That word...

It was... warm, comforting.

Something he had been missing for a long time.

His hand was limp by his side.

"Can't believe I just forgot about him..." The blonde stepped off to the side.

"Axel!" Back down the alleyway. Back through the urban labyrinth. "Axel!"

His boots slowly stopped before the TV-covered skyscraper. One foot. Then the next. They were both at a standstill as his deep blue pupils darted around.

Knowing Axel, he would've run right after the boy; not stand there aimlessly.

"Axel?"

And, if he was there, he would've come right then and there.

Yet, there were no footsteps. No clicking of boots on the ground. No Axel.

"I found him."

His shoes swirled. He jolted across the ground. Racing towards her.

Naminé. She stood by another alley, watching. Waiting for him.

The boy was frantic. He stared past Naminé. She pointed a thin finger into the darkness.

"There."

His eyes softened.

Click. Click. Click.

His boots squeezed and slid across the rain-drenched concrete. His intense blue orbs narrowed, staring into the darkness.

"Axel?"

He waited... as he came closer. Where was Axel? Running towards the boy, ecstatic that he remembered? He was there! In that alley. The boy knew he was!

And he indeed found him.

Crimson. Not the sharp, crimson spikes that sat atop the man's skull.

The blonde stepped closer.

"No..."

Cloak tattered, torn from slice after slice. His flesh looked as if someone had stabbed him and wouldn't stop. Cut after cut: some drawn through his flesh. Others were simple stabs and recoils.

The man laid face-first in the concrete. Rain and mud caked into his features and spikes.

The boy stared at the man's back, the worst of all.

There was a hole, a crimson-covered hole. And he caught sight of bone and muscle.

Sickening.

A cringe scampered down the boy's back. His jaw tightened. His eyes squeezed shut.

How could this happen? He just remembered Axel! Three hundred days of having the greatest friend. He hoped they would return... but it was impossible now.

"You see what happened?"

His eyes snapped open. His hands pressed against his knees, his black jeans soaking in rain. Blue eyes turned towards the girl behind him.

A chill slid down his spine as he caught sight of her cold gaze. Hearing that cold tone.

"All because you ignored the truth. You ignored me."

Her thin eyebrows creased. A deep frown bared into her features.

How cold... He hated to see her turn into an ice witch. The cloaked boy pushed himself to his feet, his gaze softening. He shuddered, his arms tensing.

"I'm sorry, Naminé."

Her thin arms slid behind her back. Her sharp chin jerked to the side.

"They know if you ignore the truth. They want you to believe the truth, not listen to lies." Her half-open, violet orbs shifted to the ground. "If you keep on being Ven, they won't have any other choice."

Her head turned to the side. Her cold, indigo eyes baring into the boy's pupils. "Would you let the same thing happen to me?"

"No!" A gloved hand shot forwards. "I would never let something like that happen to you."

Her harsh frown curled up at the very edges. "Good."

The petite girl stepped forth. Stepping slowly past him, like a ghost passing through a wall.

The boy stared at the ground. At a splash of blood scattered across the concrete.

The sight of blood. The cause of it all. His eyebrows turned upwards. At the edges of his eyes... A soft choke was held back by his teeth.

His boot swirled and his eyes shifted to the ground. There was only blood.

His friend was missing.

A snarl. The blonde took a step back around, his back turned to the petite girl.

"Why're you doing this to me?"

"It's not my choice, Roxas. It's their doing."

"Roxas is no one. Ven was... someone." His arm curled around his chest. His elbow pressed against his hand, his fingers pinching between his eyes. "I want to be someone."

Her footsteps ceased. "Well, do you have a heart?"

"Of course I do."

His arm lowered to the side. His hand pressed against his chest.

"It's right here..."

His eyelids pulled over his eyes. It was peaceful. The rain. The darkness. It was calm.

There was only the sound of rain... The light sound of wind.

His fingers twitched. His eyes snapped open.

Naminé's indigo orbs stared at the concrete.

"You have no heart, Roxas."

His brow furrowed. "But I--"

"You've never had one. This whole time... That heartbeat was only an illusion."

The petite blonde swirled her shoes and stood before the boy. Another smile curled at the edges of her peach lips.

"No matter how hard you try, you could never be Ven."

"This is an illusion, too!" The boy's finger snapped to the ground behind Naminé, to the blood. A snarl rolled in his throat. "Axel was never here."

A chuckle. "Of course. This is only a dream." Her fingertips pressed together before her. "But, in reality, you've never had a heart. It was made up, so you would believe me. You've always been Roxas..."

Her arms slid back behind her back. "But don't you care about me, Roxas? Don't you love me so much? You wouldn't want me trapped in the darkness forever...

"But, if you don't listen, then I will end up just like Axel."

A boot slammed into water and concrete. "Let me out of here, Naminé."

"Do you care more about leaving than you care about me?"

"No!" Another snarl. "I... I care about you so much. I don't want to see you in pain like that."

His arms lightly fell to the side. "But you have to let me out of here. If you want me to save you, then you have to let me leave!"

The girl cocked her head to the side. A warm, cheerful grin formed on her peach-toned features. Yet, her voice was cold and viscous.

"I'm sorry but that can't happen, Roxas."

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Holy crap, what the hell is going on with Namine? Man, oh man, she was being quite the cold-hearted bich back there, wasn't she? Well, to be perfectly frank, part of me kind of liked seeing Namine act like that. Now, who is she doing all this stuff to Ven/Roxas for? Is it that other Organization or someone else? Oh well, all will be revealed in due time. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.

Raynie

a Mean cycle, Sir
Website
zombiekunoichi.deviantart.com
Punch to Naminé. Right naow plz. You've made me dislike her in a weird way, but that just shows your story is working and you are capturing the characters very well. Enough to make one start to hate, in a sense, said character.

I still like her, don't get me wrong. Just not in your story. laaawl, how I hope that made sense. :D;

Akuroku = -despair-

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Holy crap, what the hell is going on with Namine? Man, oh man, she was being quite the cold-hearted bich back there, wasn't she? Well, to be perfectly frank, part of me kind of liked seeing Namine act like that. Now, who is she doing all this stuff to Ven/Roxas for? Is it that other Organization or someone else? Oh well, all will be revealed in due time. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.
Thank yew for the comment! And it's awesome that you kinda like mean!Naminé. xD; (i didn't really think anyone would, so yaaaaay) All of that stuff'll be revealed in due time, too. (one of those questions'll be answered soon, too! :D)

Punch to Naminé. Right naow plz. You've made me dislike her in a weird way, but that just shows your story is working and you are capturing the characters very well. Enough to make one start to hate, in a sense, said character.

I still like her, don't get me wrong. Just not in your story. laaawl, how I hope that made sense. :D;

Akuroku = -despair-
Thank yew for the comment! ....D: WHUT. DON'T PUNCH MEAN NAMI-CHANNNNN. (even though she seriously deserves eet...) But yay for disliking her lots, too! AWESOME. Maybe I can apply the same sort of thing to the characters in Keen... I reallyreally hope so. ;0; I want people to get attached to them~

FWEEE. Yay for still liking her xD; SORANAMI FTW?!?!? D: ...pwease?

I ISH SO SORRIES AKUSERUUUU ;0; *clings* I didn't do eet to be mean! Blame meanie!Naminé! D:

Okiesokiesokies uhhh... new chapter bit time! Fweeeee. This is a bit long, since the whole thing has three scenes. If it had four... that would be dandy, but meh. It doesn't and I didn't want to cut this first scene in half. :< Ohohoh, and if you read one of my drabbles where I was experimenting with a new style, SOMEONE MIGHT SOUND FAMILIAR~ :DD

--------------

"Oy! Ten! You 'wake in there?"

Warmth pressed into her cheeks, spreading up to her eyelids. Eyes fluttered open, her deep blue pupils stared out from under half-opened eyes. She cringed at the sunlight, tempting to stare up into the twilight sky.

"Yoo-hoo..."

A pale hand outstretched in front of her, waving over her eyes.

She jumped. Eyes snapped open, staring at the hand.

"Wow, didn't know ya could sleep standin' up..."

Her eyes darted up to the source of the voice. She blinked. Once. Twice. Her eyelids narrowed.

"Who're you...?"

The boy scoffed, running his finger beneath his nose.

"Didn't know ya forgot so easily either!"

"Whoa!"

She stumbled back, finding a thin, warm arm around her neck and across her shoulder. A knuckle or two ran across her head, scratching her scalp.

"H-Hey!" Her cool fingers pressed against the bony arm. An accidental giggle pressed through her grin. "Cut it out!"

"Man," The grinning boy pulled his arm away, putting his thin hands into his shorts' pockets. "You're no fun, Ten... Ya fall asleep and you wake up all different! Sucks."

"Sorry..." The frowning girl placed her hand on top of her head, rubbing her scalp vigourously. "Who's Ten?"

"You stupid or what?"

A small 'ow!' jumped out of her mouth when his finger jabbed at her arm. Her hand rubbed across the sore spot.

"You're Ten!"

The girl did a double take, her small finger pointing towards herself. "I-I am?"

"Yeah!" The tall boy placed his fists on his bony hips. "Been Ten ever since we were little. Remember?"

Her deep blue orbs witnessed as he pushed one of his many blonde spikes away from his sapphire blue eyes.

"Uh... uh."

"Man, what's wrong with you?" He placed a hand behind his head, scratching his scalp lightly. His light, sleeveless shirt became even more wrinkled as he did so.

"Nothing's wrong..." The girl glanced down, feeling a soft, tight wristband around her small wrist. "...with me."

She stared down at her shoes, her not-so round shoes, and stared back up at the boy. He was just a bit taller than her, maybe by a few inches.

"Uhh... what's your name again?"

A chuckle. "Forgot that, too, huh?" A shrug rolled through his bony shoulders. "A'right, whatever. You better remember this, though!"

A grin forced his thin lips to spread apart. "Name's Aoi."

"Aoi?!"

His orbs rolled around in a circle. "Aw c'mon! You make it sound like it's a bad thing!"

The girl had already taken several steps back. Her eyes wide. Fear grabbing onto her stomach.

"'cause it is!"

A groan rolled in his throat. "I'm not bad, kay? The only bad thing I've done is... well... steal some ice cream. But it was just one time!"

His sapphire blue orbs darted to the left. Then to the right. Suddenly, he grabbed onto her sleeveless arm, jerking the girl closer.

"C'mon," his voice was a harsh whisper, "Keep it down, will ya? They're gonna think we're both nuts!"

A slow glance to the side. Clueless. All of a sudden, her pale features were tinted with red. Her hands abruptly threw themselves over her face, trying to hide.

She didn't even realize they were standing with a group of so many people! All of them crowded around a large, yellow arena. All of them waiting for something to begin.

Bright purple banners that read 'STRUGGLE!' hung from the brown, tan, and yellow buildings overhead. There were blue bats with yellow handles lying around aimlessly around the arena.

"You remember the Struggle, right?"

The girl shook her head, still hiding behind her hands.

The tone in his voice was blank, yet harsh. "We're both entering this year and I taught ya how to fight. Remember that?"

"No..."

"You asked me to, so I did."

Her hands slowly fell to her side. Her deep blue orbs locked onto the pale boy as he hung onto her arm and stared out into the arena. A warm, yet harsh grasp on her thin arm.

"It's what friends do. Ya know?" A shrug rolled across his shoulders and he cocked his head to the side, still staring forward.

"But, you're not my friend..."

swish...

"What an awful thing to say to a friend."

Everything was at a standstill. The soft, warm wind that had whispered across their skin had disappeared. The chatter of the crowd had been silenced. Everyone was frozen.

There was only silence.

And her.

A blonde headed child standing in the center of the arena. As pale as her white dress, her bony arms were placed behind her back. Viscous locks curling mischievously over her shoulder, her violet orbs apathetically stabbing into the brunette's pupils.

The tomboy balled her glove-less hand into a fist as she stumbled away from Aoi's frozen grasp.

"Who're you?"

"My name is Naminé."

Naminé... That girl that Ven talked about! That girl he wanted to find. Was this her?

The brunette's eyelids pulled together to narrow, her blue pupils studying the girl. She was a little... short. This girl looked younger than her! Like a seven-year-old.

Her thin arms lowered to her sides, pushing against her sleeveless shirt and vest. Her eyes darted off to the side. "Where's Ven?"

"Ven doesn't exist here."

clickclickclick.

"Ven doesn't exist anywhere, actually. At least, not anymore..."

A jolt. Her teeth were bared, her pupils staring right at the apathetic girl's features. "Of course he does!"

"Rena doesn't exist either... There's only Ten here."

"That's not my name," a scowl rolled through her throat, "My name's--"

Someone grabbed her throat! Her breath was gone. Images of the town: rippled in her eyes. The town was inverted. Brown to blue. Tan to purple. Blue to orange. Black.

The voice that escaped from her throat was deep and distorted; electronic and not her own.

"Nngh!" She jumped back, her sneakers slipping. She fought to regain her balance, her eyes snapping onto the child.

The blonde girl only cocked her head to the side. A small smile curled at the corner of her peach lips.

"What a weird name..." The petite girl giggled, "I didn't like it. So I got rid of it."

Her eyes widened. Her hands trembled. "Huh?"

"This is my world. I can do whatever I want."

Rena... no, Ten took a harsh step forwards. "Give it back!"

"No." The blonde pointed a harsh finger at the brunette. "And, if you say it again, I'll choke you."

A growl rumbled in Ten's throat. Her teeth were bared. "You rotten..."

"Ah!" An index finger firmly held up. The blonde gave a blank stare, turning her head to the side. "It would be wise to hold that tongue of your's."

"Nngh..."

A childish giggle. Throwing her arms out, the girl begun to twirl around. "I can do whatever I want here. Would you defy me in my world?"

Arms tensing up, Ten glanced to the side. Right. Left. "Y-Yeah..." Then back at the girl, "I would...!"

A scoff. She took a soft landing on her sandals.

"Then what can I do to you? Those who ignore rules must be punished..." The girl pressed her knuckle against her peach lips, looking pensive.

"Not your friend?"

Ten's gaze snapped to the right. To that voice. To him! The frozen boy turned his head. Staring straight at her!

She stumbled back. Staring at the anger in his eyes.

In those emerald eyes.

A smirking grin slid across his lips. "Oh, aren't you heartless?"

The boy's messy locks grew sharper, longer on one side and lessened on the other. He suddenly grew taller. He was no longer thin: he was gauntly.

Ten took a step back. Staring up at the boy. Perhaps trying to be brave wasn't the best idea.

His sleeveless shirt was a long, black cloak. His grey combat boots turned black. His bare hands were now gloved.

Those cat-like eyes stared down at her. Those eyes that stabbed right through her.

Another shuffle back with her shoes. Her hands fumbled with the edges of her vests. Inching for security.

"Even more heartless than me!"

His eyes softened, but his brow was still furrowed. There came a chuckle. A gauntly hand snapped onto Ten's chin. Ripping her closer and forcing her to stare into those eyes.

"See? We're not so different, kiddo."

Her eyes grew wide, dread clutching her stomach. She jerked herself away from the man, yanking her chin out of his grasp. Her sneakers scuffed as she shuffled back. Her teeth bared.

A snarl grew louder in her throat. "I'm not anything like you!"

"Oh, I beg to differ."

Click... Click...

Like stepping through gooey mud, he came closer. Gloved, bony hand in his cloak pocket, his hand slowly rose out of it. Thumb pressed against the handle. Index and middle finger straight against the side of the blade.

As much as she bared her teeth, growling to imitate, the dread in her eyes couldn't hide.

A malicious grin spread across his bony features. His head tilted slowly sideways.

"You've already hurt someone for no reason."

Her tense stance grew tight. Her knuckles white. Her keen glare growing sharper.

"No, I haven't!"

A chuckle, "Oh, but you have."

Click... Click...

"You've hurt someone without a logical reason."

Closer. Closer. His combat boots swirled as he begun to circle her. "You only care about yourself..."

"I don--!"

"And you're heartless! Cold! Just like me!"

Her stance grew lower to the ground. She slid back.

"I'm not anything like you!"

"Face it, kiddo," His stance taller. His head tilted upwards. His bony arms position over his chest, "You're turning into your worst fear."

That's it!

Scuff!

A swirl of sneaker against concrete.

Clickclickclickclickclick!

A run. A rush into town, through the divide of buildings. A charge down the bent path. And into the street.

Her sneakers hesitantly stopped in Market Street. Her pupils stared around frantic.

Huff huff huff huff

It wasn't heavy breathing because of running: it was from fear.

Fear of Aoi. Fear of what he said. Fear of what she could turn into.

Was he right?

"Nngh!"

Another slide of sneakers. She charged past the shops. Keeping a keen eye out for the man. He would be there; he would mess with her! He'd scare her again.

So, she ran.

Clickclickclickclick!

Around the rounded shops. Down the train's path. Underneath the archway. Into the labyrinth: the small labyrinth of stairs and alleyways. A perfect place!

Clickclickclickclick!

Without warning, she threw herself into a wall. Her white hood hid her face. Her thin arms tempted to pull her legs in, make her seem small. Unnoticeable.

Her deep blue orbs stared out from the shadow of the hood. Watching. Waiting.

Huff huff huff huff

Her fingertips tugged on her tan capris. Her stubby fingernails scratching her legs.

Waiting. Watching.

Huff huff huff huff

She sunk down into the ground. Getting lower. And lower. She never took her gaze off of the entrance to this labyrinth.

But there was no sound of combat boots. Only silence.

Silence... Stillness...

What a soothing aspect... Comforting. Warm. Soothing...

It was so soothing... and so nerve-wrecking.

Warning-less, her sneakers pressed against the ground. One step. Two step. Her fingertips touched the brick. A few steps and she was standing up taller.

Trying to be brave.

Click... click... click...

One step. Two steps. Three steps.

She placed her frail hand on the edge of the building. Nothing on the left.

And nothing on the right.

So, perhaps he wasn't following her.

A deep, deep sigh of relief... What she needed so badly. It fought away the fear, the fright, and her tense shoulders grew loose.

Her deep blue orbs stared at the ground. Staring... staring...

Aoi wasn't coming. That's what she concluded.

He wasn't coming. He wasn't going to mess with her...

"Rrrr..."

Those deep blue orbs slid across the ground ever so slowly...

"Ah!"

It slammed into her back. She went tumbling. Face first into brick.

Something tempted to press against her back! She rolled to the side. Nose throbbing. She jolted up. And found it!

A... wolf?

"Rrrr..." It stood ready. White and grey paws spread apart. Keen green eyes staring past its muzzle to her.

And she saw those golden canines. Ready to rip her to pieces at a moment's notice.

Run? No! She had to be brave!

She threw her loose fist over her chest. Then threw her arm and open palm to the side.

A blink. Once. Twice. She stared at her empty hand.

Nothing.

Nothing?! Where was it? Where was her keyblade?

A snarl!

The wolf leapt into the air, paws pushed forwards. Teeth unsheathed!

Terror latched onto her stomach. She stared at her hand. Then at the wolf.

"C'mon! C'mon!"

No use! She didn't have any other choice.

Her foot jumped off of the ground... The ball of the shoe slammed into the wolf's collar.

A whine and, suddenly, it went flying back.

THUD!

It laid there aimlessly. Acting as if someone had just stabbed it. It begun to whimper.

"Oh no..."

Ten's teeth curled into her lip, biting it. Sneakers shuffling closer, she edged towards the creature.

Whimper... Whimper... Its eyes were closed. It looked asleep... But it was in pain! All because of a simple act. She felt terrible.

Coming closer, her hand hesitantly lowered onto the wolf's paw. The pads of her fingers lightly touched its coarse fur. Feeling its warm foot as she tempted to grasp it.

"I-I'm... sorry..."

The wolf laid motionless, staring meekly to the side with its green orbs. It never looked at her.

It closed its eyes. Slowly...

Slowly...

"I'm sorry..."

A soft, sweet chuckle.

"See?"

It lifted its head up. Like a doll coming to life. Its eyes flickered open, emerald green orbs lit. It wore a toothy, sharp grin.

"Just like me."

That voice! That wicked voice!

Ten stumbled back. Rushing to get away from the man... no, animal! He was an animal! Fear latched onto her throat. Rising up into her stomach. The bitter taste of vinegar on her tongue.

A chuckle pressed through those sharp teeth. He slid up, pressing his paws against the brick.

Click. Click. Click.

Another chuckle. The sharp tail waved proudly behind. His back arched down, his paw-pads sliding along the brick.

"For a puny little kid, ya got some bite to ya..."

His triangle ears pointed straight up. His muzzle rose... his head followed. Like a snake raising up.

Ten threw her hand over her side. No! Stupid anxiety! It had to go away!

But she was so scared. Of what he did. What he could do... And he wouldn't stop.

"I, on the other hand, win that challenge." If wolves could smirk, then he certainly was.

click.

"Rrgh!"

A leap off the ground! No time to act!

It was immediate.

"Nngh!"

No!

An immediate stab into her shoulder.

Sharp canines digging into flesh. Torrid. Fast. Pulsing. Sharp. Sharp. Like a flashing burn digging deeper into her flesh.

A choke.

She tried to breathe. But those teeth stabbed into her neck.

Liquid crawled down her shoulder. Blood trickling down her chest. Meshing into the wolf's fur. Sinking into her shirt.

SLAM!

Her back slammed into the ground. Throb after throb after throb.

She laid lethargic on the ground.

With the wolf digging its teeth into her shoulder. And his claws digging into her stomach.

The petite girl... was drenched in blood.

Her eyes closed...

She, like the wolf, didn't move.

disc --

error --

disc --

error --

disc --
error --

disc -- error --

discerror --
discerror --
discerror --
discerror --
discerror --

--------​

The onlooker only flinched.

His emerald orbs stared at the two against the wall. Watching them flinch. In the darkness... He knew what was happening.

And yet, he could do nothing to halt their pain.

His frail hand grabbed his hood. Casting a dense shadow over his features.

"Raixu, you wimp."

He didn't bother to look up. His shoulders moved forwards. He hunched over in his chair.

"Sorry, sir..."

"Hmph."

Click... Click... Click.

"What's the freakin' point of this, anyways?"

The boy remained in the shadow. But intently listened.

"'member what Aoi said?" Miss Xatzku! Probably the only reason he willingly stayed this long. "Keep them busy... until they're needed."

"By making chickie over here mess with them."

A chuckle. "Well, at least things'll be easier in the long run, Haxuk. Better than chasing after them over and over again."

"Hmph."

Click... Click...

"I don't get Aoi..." His cloak shifted as he walked, "How is this going to get our hearts back?"

"Oh, just be patient!"

"Screw patience!!"

SLAM!

"Nngh!" That faint little whimper came after the chair slammed into the wall.

"I want my heart now."

"Look, our way is guaranteeing your heart back. All you have to do is be patient and watch."

"Isn't this illegal? Aren't we betraying the Embodiment?"

"..."

"See? That's what I thought."

Click. Click. Click.

"Aoi can face the Superior's wrath all he wants. But I'm not. I'm not a traitor."

----------

Ohoh. And note: the 'disc error' thing... goes with the song this chapter's name after. XD; I thought it was fitting, though none of the things going on have to do with computers.

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Okay, seriously, what the hell is going on? Is all of this real or is this Organization just messing with them? Was that Namine real or fake? I'm kind of hoping that she is fake after how she was acting back there. Are Ven and Rena trapped by these guys? It definitely sounded like they were in the last part. And, if they are trapped, then was the time they spent with Raynie and Adyn real? Or was that just another illusion? And is Rena really Aoi's friend Ten? Man, I am just really confused; I have no idea what to think right now. Anyway, even with all the questions and confusion, great job, and I look forward to more.

Raynie

a Mean cycle, Sir
Website
zombiekunoichi.deviantart.com
Okay, seriously, what the hell is going on? Is all of this real or is this Organization just messing with them? Was that Namine real or fake? I'm kind of hoping that she is fake after how she was acting back there. Are Ven and Rena trapped by these guys? It definitely sounded like they were in the last part. And, if they are trapped, then was the time they spent with Raynie and Adyn real? Or was that just another illusion? And is Rena really Aoi's friend Ten? Man, I am just really confused; I have no idea what to think right now. Anyway, even with all the questions and confusion, great job, and I look forward to more.

Agreed. :B

I'm sure it'll all make sense soon... maybe. -cue suspense tune-

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Belated reply is belated! I'm terribly sorry! DD: Thank yew for all of the comments!
I think everything about the last chapters'll get explained in the next chapter... or at least most of it. XD; I'm sorry it's so confusing! I can give a clue, though! (since it might be a little bit before I post up another chapter. D: oops.) A chain of events is fake; the other is not. This fake chain of events, however, is a longer set of chains compared to the opposing chain, from past events and such. The first two sentences of the last scene hint which one it is! YAY xD; I'll try my best to post up the next chapter soon, though. Because my clue is horribly weird. Sorries xD;
Agreed. :B

I'm sure it'll all make sense soon... maybe. -cue suspense tune-
YES. ...Sure. Whatever. XD; *coughhackmaybenotcoughhack* I need to make a list of all of the confusing things in this story... *headdesk*
Your Namine scares me. She looks so innocent and cute, but she acts like the opposite. It makes things interesting to say the least^^ Very confusing, but nice chapters!
YAY THEN <3 Creepy Naminé is awesomeeeee. And sorries that it's confusing. xD; Going to try and straighten stuff out...

Annnnd... as for the next chapters... ;___; I got a horrible writer's block (darn you Tron!) and then lots of stuff happened. LOOOOOOOOOOTS of stuff. Including NaNoWriMo! D: Fweee? But I'm gonna try to just write even if I have a writer's block. It worked with NaNo, so I'll try it outside of it! :] If it works, then... I have to revise it like crazy, but NEW CHAPTERS! HA! So, yeah. I'll try my best to get up a new chapter soon... and if I don't post up something in a week or so, then I'll just post up the next chapter. Yeahhhh.

Sorries it's taking so long! D: Sorries, sorries.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Double post! I'm sorries! D: I have a question for anyone who reads this, though...

I'm thinking of starting over this thread because I want to edit some of the earlier chapters to make them better (and, best of all, SHORTER! HA 8D). I've done this a couple of times, though. I do plan on continuing this; it's just taking me a good long while to do it.

Would you rather read the editted chapters in a new thread or keep on getting new chapters here and I just link to the editted chapters?

Thank you! And sorry that this is a question and not an update. D: I'll post more chapters soon! (Once I figure out this one world's plotline... xD;)

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Double post! I'm sorries! D: I have a question for anyone who reads this, though...

I'm thinking of starting over this thread because I want to edit some of the earlier chapters to make them better (and, best of all, SHORTER! HA 8D). I've done this a couple of times, though. I do plan on continuing this; it's just taking me a good long while to do it.

Would you rather read the editted chapters in a new thread or keep on getting new chapters here and I just link to the editted chapters?

Thank you! And sorry that this is a question and not an update. D: I'll post more chapters soon! (Once I figure out this one world's plotline... xD;)

Holy crap, Rena, where the hell have you been? Man, it's been forever since you posted on this thread, but whtever. Now, as to your question, I think it would be easier to just start a new thread, especially if you're doing a lot of editing. I mean, I know the story is still the same, but it might just be easier to start over. Well, there's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back