• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Best College Advice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
Tomorrow, I start my first day of college classes as a freshman. To those of you who are in college, or have completed college, what is the best advice you've been given, or advice that you can give to me?

I'm starting school at the University of Georgia, which has over 36,000 students, so I'll take any helpful hints I can get haha.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Just be nice, work hard and try not to get distracted... I know it's tempting to do what you want since there are no rules like in H.S, but try to limit yourself in partying or skipping. I did that, skipped classes like crazy, and I regret it. Now I have taken a bit more longer doing my degree than I'm suppose to, so take my advice and please don't skip any classes and study like your suppose to, you are paying for your education, don't waste the money.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Make sure you know you are studying what you want to early on (within your first 2 semesters) or you will be suffering later.

Alliance

Awards
My best advice is to FOCUS ON YOUR SCHOOLWORK. School is expensive, doing well is even more important with degree inflation and grade inflation. A professor said to me once "Getting a C is basically failing." Get your work done then do the whole "college experience." Show up to class and don't make an ass out of yourself while there.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
1. Dorm. Go to the opposite sex side of the hall (if building splits up genders) and introduce yourself to everyone on the floor.

2. Don't bring a car. You'll only increase the risk factor of a DUI. Shit happens as a Freshman, trust me.

3. Don't "find" a girlfriend or boyfriend. You could lose friends or other better bearing situations (like threesomes DUH)

4. If you join a sorority or frat, don't turn into a lame and negative person. Also don't become corny either. If you make enough friends freshman year, then I would skip joining one, but that's my personal opinion.

6. Blame floor charges (dorm only) on the opposite side of the hall.

6. House rules always trump what you thought you knew.

7. Avoid a MIP this first year. Don't bring a red cup off the property. If you do, finish your cup like a boss, flip it over, proceed to have it flipped over to prove no liquid is inside. Otherwise, it will be the drunk tank for you.

8. If you plan (lol) to black the f~ out, use the buddy system.

9. Don't take hallucinogenics alone. Only qualified forum members like Chris and Steve can handle such extremities.

10. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class. A lot of the time people are nervous to ask questions because they might be insecure and think they'll be considered an "idiot" but to hell with that! You're paying a large sum of money, in which asking questions can only better your understanding on the subject no matter how silly it may seem.

~5 year vet

moonstar_xo

The most I can give you personally is freshman year advice.

Pretty much what everyone here said, but also:

1. If you have time, try to take a few elective classes that you're interested in. This may be your last chance to take some interesting classes that have nothing to do with your future.
2. Join some clubs, even ones you're not entirely sure about. There'll probably be some sort of involvement fair in the beginning of the semester, and sign up for e-mail lists for any club you find remotely interesting. You don't have to commit to them all, but try to go to at least one meeting for each. There will be at least one club you will end up loving, I guarantee it.
3. Don't fret too much about making friends right away. It'll happen naturally. Just talk to anyone who seems nice, and eventually you'll meet someone who knows other people and you may form a nice group of friends. Or you may meet some people in clubs you join. Every freshman is in the same boat as you (especially if you're dorming) so talk to everyone!
4. Rent textbooks from Amazon (or at least don't buy them from college stores; college stores are waaaay more expensive).
5. Be open-minded about everything. College is about broadening your horizons. This applies to your life both inside and outside the classroom.

And that's about all I can think of. I hope you have a great first year!

iWin4Prep

Website
www.ronjoniak.org
First and foremost the most important advice I can give you is understand what your studying and why you are studying it. Do you know what you want to be? Why do you want to be this? What will this degree do for you?

If you have a clean understanding of these questions, well, you are already on the right track. If you are like most people, then you likely won't have a true understanding of these questions heading into college. If that is the case then work hard on finding the answers. Explore and experience as much as you can. You will need to understand yourself. I've flip flopped 100's of times and I still don't have my degree, but ya know, I am having fun while doing so and learning a lot about myself.

If you can't have fun learning and being at college then it isn't worth anything for you. Don't go to college just because you want a paying job someday.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Dual-majoring here, this shit ain't no game!

In all seriousness, prepare yourself for a lot of work, several hours committed to studying (if your working that time gets cut in half and you get less sleep as a result, welcome to my life!). Try to rest whenever you can spare the time, and most importantly research what it is that you want to do before gearing full-speed into it.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
You should take the first composition courses before other liberal arts courses. Comp 1 teaches (or should teach) stuff like writing persuasively, about yourself, and research papers.

Also, try to avoid joining clubs or other school groups (like sports) if you can. You may wish to join them at some point, but in your first year, you should be focusing on making the grade.

Also, yeah don't rape anybody that's important to not do.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
If you can, or if you so choose (for your next semester), try and get your classes later in the day. That way you can sleep more.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I'm starting college myself this september and I'm just gonna tell you one thing I was told:

Remember, your paying money. Don't do anything stupid like skip classes or not try because you get no refund if you flunk out.

Kind of obvious advice, but one should take it to heart.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Where's Dogenzaka when you need him?

Sorry I'm late :p

-You will learn the proper way to study, hopefully quickly.
-You will learn that high school was a phase people will bring up in lunch conversations about that one thing they did, but other than that, it's over and it's never coming back and nothing you did then will matter now that you're in college.
-(personal advice that I've taken from others) don't date people nilly willy your freshman year (unless you're into those sort of shallow, empty relationships). You are completely changing as a person and you wouldn't want that to be taken advantage of.
- Learn to have fun amidst all the schoolwork.
-On the other extreme, don't have too much fun just because LOLOLCOLLEGE. Try to challenge yourself to things you're not comfortable with and keep up with your studies at all cost. You're spending too much money to screw up the *actual* college part about college.
-Look at what student organizations might interest you and join them and participate. Looks good on resumes and you will learn something new and about yourself hopefully. But don't overdo it, and be hesitant on commitment your first year. At all costs, keep your grades up your first year.
-Your major is most likely not set in stone; many people change majors. Don't sweat it. That's why it's important to mostly take classes in the beginning that count for a lot of majors you might be interested in so you don't waste money.

If you can, or if you so choose (for your next semester), try and get your classes later in the day. That way you can sleep more.

I disagree with this. Find out how you function best. I personally discovered that it's easy for me to wake up early if I need to and getting classes out of the way early in the day gives me the rest of the day to do what I need. If I register for classes that are too late in the day I'll just loaf around until class and then when I get out there's less time to get shit done.

1. Dorm. Go to the opposite sex side of the hall (if building splits up genders) and introduce yourself to everyone on the floor.

Yes.

2. Don't bring a car. You'll only increase the risk factor of a DUI. Shit happens as a Freshman, trust me.

I think this depends a lot on the school you go to. My campus is one of the largest in the country, 50,000+ students. And I'm in Texas. Not having a car makes doing anything not on-campus difficult.

You can avoid DUI by just not being stupid or putting yourself in stupid situations :)

3. Don't "find" a girlfriend or boyfriend. You could lose friends or other better bearing situations (like threesomes DUH)

Yep.

4. If you join a sorority or frat, don't turn into a lame and negative person. Also don't become corny either. If you make enough friends freshman year, then I would skip joining one, but that's my personal opinion.

Yep.

6. Blame floor charges (dorm only) on the opposite side of the hall.

Yep. So I hear.

6. House rules always trump what you thought you knew.

Yep. So I hear.

7. Avoid a MIP this first year. Don't bring a red cup off the property. If you do, finish your cup like a boss, flip it over, proceed to have it flipped over to prove no liquid is inside. Otherwise, it will be the drunk tank for you.

Yep.

8. If you plan (lol) to black the f~ out, use the buddy system.

YES this.

9. Don't take hallucinogenics alone. Only qualified forum members like Chris and Steve can handle such extremities.

Totally.

10. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class. A lot of the time people are nervous to ask questions because they might be insecure and think they'll be considered an "idiot" but to hell with that! You're paying a large sum of money, in which asking questions can only better your understanding on the subject no matter how silly it may seem.

This. You have to know that you are buying access to a resource just like everyone else.

Last edited:
Awards
here's a big one: don't wear any school apparel while you're actually on campus...it is hands down the fastest way to let everyone know that you're a freshman who doesn't know what he/she is doing...the only times when it's okay to rock clothing w/ your school logo/colors is a) at sport events and b) when you're away from your hometown...but repping your university while you're already on or near campus-- only dweebs do that shit

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
here's a big one: don't wear any school apparel while you're actually on campus...it is hands down the fastest way to let everyone know that you're a freshman who doesn't know what he/she is doing...the only times when it's okay to rock clothing w/ your school logo/colors is a) at sport events and b) when you're away from your hometown...but repping your university while you're already on or near campus-- only dweebs do that shit

Unless you go to my school, where I stick out like a sore thumb for only owning like 2 shirts with my university's name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back