• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Being Gay in a religion that is horribly against gays.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
I am a Jehovah's Witness and I am gay. I do not know if anyone knows the views of gays that Jehovah's Witnesses have. but its extremely wrong and supposedly just as bad as murder and abortion. anyway, recently I have been coming out to a lot of people. It has been hard but I have the courage because im in love and I really can do it. So I have slowly started telling people and a few jehovah's witnesses in my congregation (the church). and i have learned that many people gossip about me and its really awful. I just wanted to know, does anyone else deal with being gay or different in their religion where it condemns you for being who you are?

MangaCrazy101

The Blonde
Awards
Website
mangacrazy101.blogspot.com
Good on you for not letting them scare you off!
One of my best friends is Elezbian and before I met her she came out about it to the school (accidentally in english) and she was pretty much condoned from the people in our year, but they soon let up. it didn't help her that her whole family was catholic, but they stuck by her because they believed that it was God's will. Though she soon turned to be a person without religous belief her family still kept going to church and people were talking about the family and her. Apparently it got pretty bad but it's all let up now, it was two years ago and anyone who really says anything to put her down about it now has to deal with her friends.

But don't let anyone get you down, you are you and apparently many people were supposed to have misinterpreted the bible any way. God would not have made gays if he didn't love them. Besides gays are some of the nicest, compassionate people I know.

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
thanks you very much..its just nice to know people have to go through it. its so sad though. im me. why are people so cruel?

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, and know little about it, but I'm a nondenominational Christian, and Jehovah Witness is supposedly a denomination in Christianity, so I can supply some words that have to do with Christianity as a whole.

In Christianity, all sins deserve death. Homosexuality, Lying, Murder, Lusting, Hate, Idolatry, Adultery, and many other things follow under the category of sin. As a follower of Christ, you have to try and separate yourself from these things. Unfortunately, that's impossible, but we still must try. The member's of the congregation of the church you attend who gossip of you are no better than you, I, and anyone else, and, in fact, the gossiping they do of you is a sin itself. Fortunately, all these sins are forgiven by God. But, it doesn't mean those sins are okay to do

If you go through the Religion section here, you might be able to find a thread I made titled "Justification through Forgiveness?", or with a similar title. I don't remember what it was really called. There are some opinions there you might want to read.

In short, those gossipers are in the wrong, but, through the beliefs your religion has, so are you. You may want to question whether you truly are apart of your religion.

SoraXVen

Personally I want to say great job on coming out. I know how hard something like that is. I just want you to know that it will get better I am a christian and gay as well. I personally do not believe that homosexuality is a sin. In the bible, beside the 10 commandments, not much about ethics really comes from God directly. Most of what it tells us is written by man and therefore not necessarily correct. Just as an example of this. In the Bible, man labels witchcraft as a sin. Yet we know that witchcraft does not exist. You obviously know more about homosexuality than others in your church and even those who wrote that particular section of the Bible. I personally think each individual(Christian anyway) needs to really look at the bible and decide what they truly believe is true or not rather than follow it blindly.

Zul

Awards
Hmm...well...I don't know any Muslims personally who have homosexual desires, technically the only valid option according to Islam is resisting the homosexual desires and not acting on them nor being proud of them vocally or internally. Some Muslims might do that, some unfortunately leave Islam.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
When people first found out that I'm gay (at my school and, well, everywhere else, I guess), people did not take too well to me, either. It took me quite a while to figure this out, but their opinions and words mean nothing unless you give their opinions and words dominion over you. They might think you're pure evil (based solely on the fact that you're not straight), but who cares about their opinions about you unless you care about said opinions?

As far as your family goes, they're your family; if they think you're evil, tell them what's what: you are who you are, and you expect the same respect and courtesy that you give to them; if they decide that you're a disturbing thing, then forget them until they change their tune. You do not have to put up with bullshit; no one has to put up with bullshit. They're your family, and if they refuse to support you, then, well, it gets better; for now, however, it's going to be shitty.

metrifyx

I'm so sorry to hear that people are gossiping about you! They have no right to do that. Congratulations on coming out though; that must be a relief.

May I recommend a website to you? It refers to all Christian denominations, but it seems like it would be really helpful. I stumbled upon it a few months ago when researching Homosexuality and the Bible, and it has a lot of interesting interpretations in its Understanding Scripture section. If nothing else, it's food for thought. There are other resources there too, so perhaps it will help you?

Christian Gays

It's not easy, but hang in there! People will think what they will, unfortunately, although you always have the people who matter on your side: the ones who really care about you, and your boyfriend! <3

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I can't relate to you personally, but there's a guy at my Catholic church that pretty much everybody knows is gay. He was even on the youth leadership team for a year, and I got to know him pretty well there. Everyone treated him pretty respectfully, as far as I know, though. I do know he got crap at school, however. I was actually happy to see that the people at my church were willing to act as lovingly as we're taught to.

Just remember that the people gossiping about you are far more pathetic then anything they could accuse you of being. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
It isn't religion itself. A lot of times, it's actually the religion the person is following (such as, the religion holds two, contradicting beliefs on the same subject) coupled with the people who follow the religion. Given two choices, to tolerate or to despise, it comes down to the person following the faith, as it is their choice.

For example, I know some Christians, Muslims, and Jews who are all fine with the fact that I'm gay. They chose the option to tolerate rather than the one to despise. But I also know some Christians, Muslims, and Jews (allbeit not on a personal level) who are not fine with the fact that I'm gay.

I mean, if it were the religion itself flat out, then there could be no "Christian gays," as it were.

Also, there are other, more friendly religions out there...

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
It isn't religion itself. A lot of times, it's actually the religion the person is following (such as, the religion holds two, contradicting beliefs on the same subject) coupled with the people who follow the religion. Given two choices, to tolerate or to despise, it comes down to the person following the faith, as it is their choice.

For example, I know some Christians, Muslims, and Jews who are all fine with the fact that I'm gay. They chose the option to tolerate rather than the one to despise. But I also know some Christians, Muslims, and Jews (allbeit not on a personal level) who are not fine with the fact that I'm gay.

I mean, if it were the religion itself flat out, then there could be no "Christian gays," as it were.

Also, there are other, more friendly religions out there...

I'm going to point out the Bible teaches to love everyone, and despise no one. All Christians who despise someone, through homophobia or whatever, are doing it on their own accord, and not by their religion. If they claim to be doing it through religion, for example, Westboro (ewwww), they are blasphemous.

Pirates

The way I see it, based on something I saw on reddit:

Jesus is god's only son,
We are all children of god,
We are all females,
So we are all gay.

So dont worry about it. They are just hypocrites.

Pirates

Well, I was thinking maybe I'm flat chested, but then I checked my pants. Yep, I'm definitely male.
Thanks,
you have convinced me.

Sorry, black witch rose, Luap911 says you should die.

Personally, I think you are perfectly fine.
I would think a loving god wouldnt care if you are like this. You are doing your best and the love you have is not something
to be ashamed of.
If something as pure as love can be wrong, then we really have no firm moral compass.
But, I dont think that is the case. Trust those feelings and dont regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back