• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Been Alone for So Long

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What's behind the "so long" bit?

• Mistranslation - in [i]two[/i] games.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • CoM took place over several [i]months[/i]. It's [i]that[/i] long.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Namin? wasn't [i]born[/i] when Roxas was, but [i]woke up[/i] when he did.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Roxas's own time of birth is a lie!

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I just looked up the scene on youtube since I'm stalling on the actual playing of it

We all remember Naminé's infamous and somewhat problematic line, quoted in the title.

"I've been alone for so long".

I remember the times in which I'd have leaped at it, clung to it for dear life, and raised the notion that this was a contradiction with the claimed time of Naminé's birth.
Then came Another Report and Naminé was confirmed by Nomura to have been born at the same time Roxas was.
And then people said that Naminé's line from the original CoM for having been alone for so long was corrected in Re:CoM to having always been alone. Thus, no matter how long she's been around, she was alone, even if for a month.

And then came Re:CoM to America and said that no, she was alone for so long.

Har.

Vote and Discuss.
Poll options bringing up nonsense to talk about.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Any period of time can feel like an eternity when you have no one to spend it with. I think that's what she was saying.

"I've been alone for so long" = "Damn, I was lonely for thoes few months"

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
I remember that line. I also remember someone who hates Naminé bringing that line up, saying 'how can she have been alone for so long if she is only about a month old? The wimp'.

I always did wonder about how long CoM was. It could span for a while, thus leading to her saying that. It could also her being locked up for a little bit of time and thus losing any sense of time that she had. Days could seem like forever if you don't know any different.

Ore012

One wishes to know but it is not paradise.
Website
www.youtube.com
So Long?

She said that In the Castle Right?
Well, When she was in the castle didn't time Fly by like it was a couple weeks and/or months.
It's somewhere On that line but I really can't remember how to put it though.

I'll try and Concentrate my thoughts on it more.....
Hm...?

Antiquity

Put on your courage and fly
Awards
Well, sitting around in a completely white castle can make you crazy and make it feel like days have been going by. Seems like it'd be a mistranslation, but I dunno.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3
i don't think it was mistranslation, but probably just like they meant to say it like that to give the player a more pathos sort of view towards her reasons to change sora's memories and to work for the org.

being alone and having nothing to do all day does seem very long. if you think about it in her point of view that is.

Eternal_Key

Damn its been a while...

Last time I checked, there is no visible sign of time passing by in the KH series. So for all we know, the time between Namine's birth and the end of KH1 could be weeks, even months! Seems unlikely but think about it. The only time we know that time goes by is in Destiny Islands, where we actually see morning, noon, and night. Traverse Town is eternally in nighttime, Twilight Town is eternally in daytime, and all other worlds have only one time of day.

Apasstrife

i think that line means that no one cares about her or even think of her (she was only a part of a plan, an objet to the org)...... and sora start to care about her (even if its a lie) so she didnt feel like she was lonely anymore

A

Audo

I don't really see much of an issue with the statement myself. Given how she woke up in CO, and it was a while before the Org even found her, that time could seem like it stretched on forever (especially given how she had no sense of time). So, I don't see an issue, myself.

bittermeat

&#12487;&#12470;&#12540;&#12488;&#12479;&#12452;&#
Website
heartstation.org
It really is irrelevant, she isn't talking about periods of time. The whole quote, according to GBA English version, goes like:

Jiminy: Is that the person who made you tamper with our memories?

Naminé: He said he'd keep me locked away in this castle forever if I didn't
obey. I've been alone for so long...

The same concerning line in Japanese is: 私、ずっとひとりだったから…。

Literally, "Because/since I was so alone..."

The point being, she's trying to explain partly why she was weak and listened to Marluxia. I wouldn't call it a mistranslation, it's just hard to localize Japanese to English and convey the same nuance. I think the English version makes sense though and you're just over analyzing it for a lost detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back