• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Because Reasons"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
every time someone uses the term "bae" i want to punch a hole through their face

That is another one that should only ever be used ironically.

like, I can't like stand when people, like, say the word "like" like a dozen times in like one sentence. It, like, makes them sound so repetitive, clueless, and chattery and I wanna like punch them in their faces!
... Yeah, I don't think that's how people actually talk, but there's definitely a ridiculous amount of "likes" in an average person's speech. If people actually THOUGHT about what they were going to say before blabbering, they wouldn't have to stall for time with filler noises.

That's kind of aggressive. Not everybody is a fluid or confident speaker. Filler words don't always have to do with a lack of thought, but often because of an overabundance of thought. People who might be experiencing stress, or may not be confident speakers, or may have some kind of social anxiety that makes it harder for them to talk tend to experience more cognitive load and thus may use more filler words either due to being nervous or feeling overwhelmed to eloquently express their points.

Some of our best modern speakers struggle with filler words many times depending on the situation.

When you experience cognitive load, your brain has to take the time to process what relevant information should be relayed over what shouldn't. Depending on the level of knowledge a person has, preparation time, how general or specific a topic is, and how much time is considered socially acceptable to take before delivering a response, the use of filler words increases or decreases.

As it is awkward to leave a long pause before answering a statement (most listeners expect near instantaneous responses) and it is also awkward to pause mid-sentence, filler words serve an important purpose to help people parse out their thoughts without disrupting the flow of sound. And the expectation that people should think every thought out before responding is not how things work. Everybody should think before they speak, but our current style of communication doesn't allow for that level of patience. Speak or miss out on being heard.

There is also the matter of culture to be considered. The use of "like" repeatedly can be used to create emphasis on something, or just be a natural part of a group of people's speech pattern that has nothing to do with it being a filler word to them.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i'm with my buoys and the bay. y'all got 2 be jealous

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I don't really mind "like". At a certain point it can get ridiculous, but that goes for anything, right? I can't really stand people bringing up memes in place of actual jokes, but that's a battle that I've lost and will continue to lose. People seek comfort and familiarity over comedic exploration nowadays and it's a dang shame because there's some funny stuff to talk about out there.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I don't really mind "like". At a certain point it can get ridiculous, but that goes for anything, right? I can't really stand people bringing up memes in place of actual jokes, but that's a battle that I've lost and will continue to lose. People seek comfort and familiarity over comedic exploration nowadays and it's a dang shame because there's some funny stuff to talk about out there.

sort of like how after you joined, a bunch of funny bones rattled on in?

people who use acronyms and randomly throw in slang where it doesn't belong. just talk how you naturally would. if you talk one way, cool, but don't force speech another gotdamn way.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I hate it when people say, "You know!", at the end of every freaking thing they say. Heard it enough in KH2. >.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Emoticons seem to be a way out of conversation, maybe that's just something that I am thinking. I've noticed when someone has nothing to say they just reply with a nodding, smiley face.

yeah i agree, and can definitely see why you might think that.

redcrown

Awards
People who say "because" to avoid answering a question without any other explanation should be publicly executed.

Just saying.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
People who say "because" to avoid answering a question without any other explanation should be publicly executed.

Just saying.

It's pretty much an escape from explaining their actions. It's even worse when they said, "BECAUSE I SAID SO!".

I also hate this habit of mine when I only respond with "huh?"

redcrown

Awards
I would rather have an honest "I don't want to say or talk about it" because as irritating as that can be also, not giving any reason at all is completely disrespectful and childish. It's not cute or snarky. It makes people want to murder you.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I would rather have an honest "I don't want to say or talk about it" because as irritating as that can be also, not giving any reason at all is completely disrespectful and childish. It's not cute or snarky. It makes people want to murder you.

This is so true. At least when someone explains that they would rather not talk about something, you understand that it is off limits for some personal reason, rather than them giving a response that makes them seem lazy or generally uninterested in having a conversation with you.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
"Because I said so" is the biggest reason why people are so stupid. Nothing discourages critical thinking more.

That statement doesn't help, especially when the person saying it to you is yelling it. Yelling is not a good way of communication and neither is whispering, but that's another story.

By the way, who gets annoyed with "that's another story?"

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
By the way, who gets annoyed with "that's another story?"

Heavily depends.
Some people say that whenever you mention something "negative" about them in a discussion, unable to deal with it, and that's really annoying. I'd say it sometimes makes sense not to discuss 90587349 things at once, but mostly, in a discussion, "that's another story" is used as an excuse.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Heavily depends.
Some people say that whenever you mention something "negative" about them in a discussion, unable to deal with it, and that's really annoying. I'd say it sometimes makes sense not to discuss 90587349 things at once, but mostly, in a discussion, "that's another story" is used as an excuse.

I guess, it's a mixed bag.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
"Because reasons" is as annoying to me as "I'm right because I'm right" which I've heard a LOT of people in my life say, yet most of the time they are never right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back