• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

BBS Music re-master anyone?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightcrest

I have been struggling with the idea of Music for 2.5.

In KH 1.5 they re-mastered the music from KH1 and Days, but they didn't re-master COM basically at all, because it was more recent, with better music. So I got to thinking. Will they re-master the music for Birth By Sleep?
Birth By Sleep already has a pretty jammin' soundtrack, it was the first in the series to use *gasp* -real- instruments in the soundtrack. So will they remake the music for it? It seems like the chances are 50-50.

On one hand, they didn't remake any of the music from COM, and it already has a great soundtrack, so they might just leave it alone... which would SUCK!

But on the other hand, they said in the initial press release that they were working hard to make it a more polished game, and that they would "Brush it up" more than 1.5. Which, judging by the fact that they -kind- of shafted COM in the music department, means that they might do better this time around, and make an effort to re-master the soundtrack

I really hope that they re-master the music. Birth By Sleep is by far my favorite game of the entire series. I think it was one of the first games to grow the series up from a few disjointed games into an epic saga, if you know what I mean. It was also one of the first games to have a lot of depth, and I hope that they pay it the respect it deserves.

I mean, think about the credits music for Birth By Sleep. Now imagine if the whole soundtrack sounded like that.
*throws up rainbows*
(Imagines Vanitas's theme in a full orchestra.) *dies*

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It was pretty obvious they didn't put too much effort into the HD remaster of COM though, in part because it's not as popular as other games in the series but also because the soundtrack itself was mostly re-arranged versions of what could be heard in the oiriginal game, so they would have to come up with appropriate arrangements for real instruments that sounded different compared to the ones they had already recorded. Much like how Re:coded had a retro flair to its soundtrack, one could argue that the COM now has a retro soundtrack too, although that was most likely not their intention.

I don't think BBS needs a re-recorded soundtrack because like you said, it was already recorded with real instruments (as were The Last Ranker and Radiant Historia, two other wonderful Shimomura soundtracks from that period that really marked the transition from MIDI to real instruments in her works).

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
Yoko already has the task of re-doing 100 or more tracks for KH2. I think re-doing something that already has a real orchestra is unnecessary

shuyin_zer0

Awards
BBS already uses real instruments, so they'll probably just remaster the channel output to 5.1 rather than re-recording everything.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Everything what I had to say has all been mentioned...

I'm actually more excited for the remastering of KH2 soundtrack, because I know that even on the PSP, the music of BbS is already of high standard and it's already quite obvious that everything was recorded live. I believe what they need isn't remaster, but just like shuyin_zer0 said, rechanneling (though I'm not sure whether or not this would result in information or quality loss).

That said, if they do decide to have BbS soundtrack remastered, I'll be enraptured and sing with all the angels.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
but they didn't re-master COM basically at all, because it was more recent, with better music.

On one hand, they didn't remake any of the music from COM, and it already has a great soundtrack, so they might just leave it alone... which would SUCK!

Which, judging by the fact that they -kind- of shafted COM in the music department, means that they might do better this time around, and make an effort to re-master the soundtrack

Actually Yoko did remaster Memories in Pieces and Lord of the Castle. Days had 4 tracks that were remastered and the rest were borrowed from KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep & 358/2 Days Original Soundtrack. I assume Yoko may pick a select few pieces in Birth by Sleep too.

Brightcrest

Actually Yoko did remaster Memories in Pieces and Lord of the Castle. Days had 4 tracks that were remastered and the rest were borrowed from KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep & 358/2 Days Original Soundtrack. I assume Yoko may pick a select few pieces in Birth by Sleep too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. -^_^-
I was -kind- of looking forward to a re-arranged version of Namine's theme, and was kind of let down when it didn't happen... :p
Well if they do decide to remix a few tracks, let's hope those few include "Enter the Darkness" and the final battle music! :D

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. -^_^-
I was -kind- of looking forward to a re-arranged version of Namine's theme, and was kind of let down when it didn't happen... :p
Well if they do decide to remix a few tracks, let's hope those few include "Enter the Darkness" and the final battle music! :D

Yeah lol I hope so too. I'd love if they'll remaster some of those tracks.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I would personally love a full arrangement, however unrealistic that sounds. If she could arrange a few here and there, if not to further differentiate the PSP/PS3 experience, that would be great too.

Vəntus

Awards
Website
the-gapra-whitewood.tumblr.com
I would think they would just use the raw non-compressed music as the .at3 format compresses the music to be used on PSP. It's either that or they remaster them. Personally, as unlikely it is to happen, I'd rather they remaster them.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It would make more sense to keep the original live instruments but update the synthesizers a little bit (less loudness would be nice).

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
I have a feeling that the biggest difference people will hear in the music department will be in the Keyblade Graveyard scenes. It might just be the comparison from the KH2 final mix secret ending, but it sounded and looked pretty bland in the game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I have a feeling that the biggest difference people will hear in the music department will be in the Keyblade Graveyard scenes. It might just be the comparison from the KH2 final mix secret ending, but it sounded and looked pretty bland in the game.

One of the main issues with the Keyblade Graveyard climax scenes were that they didn't use "Fate of the Unknown" like in the KH 2 Final Mix secret ending.
While "Black Powder" is certainly a good and exciting battle theme, it still does not hold a candle to the epicness that is "Fate of the Unknown".

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
One of the main issues with the Keyblade Graveyard climax scenes were that they didn't use "Fate of the Unknown" like in the KH 2 Final Mix secret ending.
While "Black Powder" is certainly a good and exciting battle theme, it still does not hold a candle to the epicness that is "Fate of the Unknown".

Agreed. Black Powder should've been only used for the fight against Braig in Radiant Garden. It actually fit well, and you know, black powder is an ancient form of gunpowder, which goes with his shooter nature.

I think the ambient music, Keyblade Graveyard Horizons, captured the atmosphere quite well. Its ominous tones did magic in conveying the emotions of the characters at that time. If you ask me, I don't think it was bland. In addition, you know something epic is going on when the overworld and battle tracks are actually the same. :cough:Aerith'sTheme:sob:

At least they nailed the music selection for "Terra"'s final battle. I jumped for joy when it played.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Wait, BBS already used Real Instruments as well? I thought it was all just really HQ synthesizer! :O

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Wait, BBS already used Real Instruments? I thought it was just really HQ synthesizer! :O

Yeah, I believe so. BbS and DDD (and now 1.5 KHFM) are the only games using legitimate musical instruments. Music from those two games sounded really full in my ears and fantastic, for some reason… especially Radiant Garden, Dream Eater boss fights, and Link to All followed by L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Yeah, I believe so. BbS and DDD (and now 1.5 KHFM) are the only games using legitimate musical instruments. Music from those two games sounded really full in my ears and fantastic, for some reason… especially Radiant Garden, Dream Eater boss fights, and Link to All followed by L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto.
That's odd cause every time I play DDD, I keep wishing that all the tracks would sound as full and natural as Symphony of Sorcery.

Of course, usually the first bit of music I hear coming out of that world is the world select screen.

Awards
I think there will be a few songs remastered for BBS, but pretty much just the character themes and "important" songs, none of the field music for the words and most of the boss battle music

Antar

Awards
I don't even care if they remaster the BBS soundtrack, it sounds amazing even if it won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back