• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Battle Angel Alita ~ GUNNM (Gun Dream)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owaz

Created in 1991 by Yukito Kishiro, Battle Angel utterly shreds most manga in terms of character development and story. The plot is rather grim, involving plenty of bloody action, and at other times allows brighter moments to shine. Told through artwork that is superb in every last detail, it's set in something of a post-apocalyptic Earth where the lines between human and machine are blurred by the titular character Alita, a female cyborg who is dug out of a scrap pile by Doctor Daisuke Ido, and from then on fights to remember her true identity through the use of Panzer Kunst, a lost martial art.

Currently, it's split into two series, the first of which can be read here.

After you've read (from left to right) the first volume, you can continue the rest of the series here.

The second series and ongoing continuation, Last Order, can be read (from right to left)here.

These are pictures along with some of my favorite moments in the story, just to give you a better sense of how awesome this manga is.

1) Alita: Yeah, she's pretty hot.

2) Just because she's a cyborg doesn't mean she can't dress normal.

3) I LOVE this.

4) Alita entering her first second league Motorball match.

5) A detailed cover image in color.

6) In a word: amazing!

7) Don't expect Alita to be very forgiving if you make her angry...

8) This guy...well, I'd rather not spoil it. Badass design though.

9) Some of Alita's enemies are truly gigantic and beastly.

10) Sometimes the fights are crazy brutal...

11) ...and sometimes the fights are hilarious.

12) But most times, the fights are truly epic.

13) Of course, I had to show you more than just fight scenes.

14) In order to give you an idea how gritty the world they live in is.

15) This is just too funny and insane not to include.

16) Tiphares, sky city of legend.

17) But believe me, Tiphares isn't such a great place.

18) The Scrapyard, a rotting city beneath Tiphares.

19) A depressing view of the Scrapyard, honestly.

20) Hold still.

21) Destruction!

22) Owned.

Finally, I'd like for you readers to check out this cool CG video of the Motorball sport from Battle Angel.

YouTube - Gunnm Motorball CGI Animation

Oh, I totally forgot to mention that in the near future, a live action film adaptation will be made for Battle Angel, directed by James Cameron.

Hopefully I've convinced someone to read the manga. It's not a treat to miss out!

Last edited:

Gate

Re: THE Greatest Manga EVER: Gunnm ~ Battle Angel Alita

Speak it, brother! Bring to us the word of GAWD-UH!!

BAA = The Ultimate in Manga/Other Assorted Win

G

GATTAI

Read the first couple of chapters and I didn't see anything outstanding. A lot of it was pretty typical, and the art was good, but it's not as great as you made it out to be.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards

Naruto and KH mangas are better imo

Owaz

Read the first couple of chapters and I didn't see anything outstanding. A lot of it was pretty typical, and the art was good, but it's not as great as you made it out to be.

You should read more than just the first two chapters before you judge it. In fact, you should read the first two or three volumes. Please explain what you thought was typical because your first sentence gives me the strong impression you only skimmed. Make sure you use spoiler tags though, so as not to ruin it for anyone else. If you were referring to Alita's amnesia, this manga was written in 1991, when amnesia wasn't cliche.

Naruto and KH mangas are better imo

What?

I'm sorry but unless you prove that you actually read the manga, I will have to assume you're crazy or too young to comprehend the story.

Neither Kingdom Hearts or Naruto's genre, characters, storyline or art style are as mature as Battle Angel Alita. That is undeniable fact. They also don't have anything as badass as this:

http://th59.deviantart.com/fs26/300W/f/2008/141/3/3/Zapan___Battle_Angel_Alita_by_DFKabuto.jpg

Last edited:

~azure.requiem

「fukanou.wa.NANIMO. desu」
Awards
Website
azure-requiem.tumblr.com
Re: THE Greatest Manga EVER: Gunnm (Gun Dream) ~ Battle Angel Alita

Created by Yukito Kishiro, it's currently the only manga series I enjoy, and for a good reason. It's a very dark and bloody story about a female cyborg who fights to remember her past. The artwork is superb to every last detail, and you'll probably find yourself attached to the characters before you realize it.

This is not a Shounen manga, nor is it for the kiddies.

I guarantee you that Battle Angel utterly shreds any other manga in terms of character development, story, and art.

If you're still not convinced, you can step into dear Alita's journey here.

After you've read (from left to right) the first volume, you can read the rest of the series here.

Now quickly, convert to BAA fandom!

To quote a friend of mine,

~ bloody. not for kiddies. my kind of manga.

G

GATTAI

You should read more than just the first two chapters before you judge it. In fact, you should read the first two or three volumes. Please explain what you thought was typical because your first sentence gives me the strong impression you only skimmed. Make sure you use spoiler tags though, so as not to ruin it for anyone else. If you were referring to Alita's amnesia, this manga was written in 1991, when amnesia wasn't cliche.
I was basically able to foreshadow almost everything that happened in the first volume. If I can do that, I'm probably not going to read the rest of it.

To be honest, I'm not going to read something that like two people consider to be THE GREATEST MANGA EVER because:

1) You sound like a total fanboy dick.
2) Refer to 1)
3) All of the above.

Sure, if it was a modest introduction of the manga, maybe I would have considered reading the rest, but your overall attitude towards this manga in comparison to everything else, as I was told in the chat, is horrible and I'm not going to take suggestions from someone who acts like an extremist christian with manga.

Thanks, but no.

Owaz

I was basically able to foreshadow almost everything that happened in the first volume. If I can do that, I'm probably not going to read the rest of it.

To be honest, I'm not going to read something that like two people consider to be THE GREATEST MANGA EVER because:

1) You sound like a total fanboy dick.
2) Refer to 1)
3) All of the above.

Sure, if it was a modest introduction of the manga, maybe I would have considered reading the rest, but your overall attitude towards this manga in comparison to everything else, as I was told in the chat, is horrible and I'm not going to take suggestions from someone who acts like an extremist christian.

Thanks, but no.

Suit yourself.

G

GATTAI

Don't get me wrong, it sounds good (probably is), and I have read reviews on it and they're all positive. Maybe introduce it to people in a more modest way, than shoving it in their faces and calling it the greatest thing in existence and you might get more people into it.

Plus, I don't read manga online often, nor am I big fan of it. If I do read manga, I prefer having the actual copy, and even then manga doesn't appeal to me much despite the fact that many people state that the anime series will never be as good as the manga.

Owaz

Don't get me wrong, it sounds good (probably is), and I have read reviews on it and they're all positive. Maybe introduce it to people in a more modest way, than shoving it in their faces and calling it the greatest thing in existence and you might get more people into it.

Fair enough.

~ bloody. not for kiddies. my kind of manga.

There's also suggestive nudity.

Hope you enjoy the work of Kishiro.

Last edited:

Owaz

Created in 1991 by Yukito Kishiro, Battle Angel utterly shreds most manga in terms of character development and story. The plot is rather grim, involving plenty of bloody action, and at other times allows brighter moments to shine. Told through artwork that is superb in every last detail, it's set in something of a post-apocalyptic Earth where the lines between human and machine are blurred by the titular character Alita, a female cyborg who is dug out of a scrap pile by Doctor Daisuke Ido, and from then on fights to remember her true identity through the use of Panzer Kunst, a lost martial art.

Currently, it's split into two series, the first of which can be read here.

After you've read (from left to right) the first volume, you can continue the rest of the series here.

The second series and ongoing continuation, Last Order, can be read (from right to left)here.

These are pictures along with some of my favorite moments in the story, just to give you a better sense of how awesome this manga is.

1) Alita: Yeah, she's pretty hot.

2) Just because she's a cyborg doesn't mean she can't dress normal.

3) I LOVE this.

4) Alita entering her first second league Motorball match.

5) A detailed cover image in color.

6) In a word: amazing!

7) Don't expect Alita to be very forgiving if you make her angry...

8) This guy...well, I'd rather not spoil it. Badass design though.

9) Some of Alita's enemies are truly gigantic and beastly.

10) Sometimes the fights are crazy brutal...

11) ...and sometimes the fights are hilarious.

12) But most times, the fights are truly epic.

13) Of course, I had to show you more than just fight scenes.

14) In order to give you an idea how gritty the world they live in is.

15) This is just too funny and insane not to include.

16) Tiphares, sky city of legend.

17) But believe me, Tiphares isn't such a great place.

18) The Scrapyard, a rotting city beneath Tiphares.

19) A depressing view of the Scrapyard, honestly.

Finally, I'd like for you readers to check out this cool CG video of the Motorball sport from Battle Angel.

YouTube - Gunnm Motorball CGI Animation

Oh, I totally forgot to mention that in the near future, a live action film adaptation will be made for Battle Angel, directed by James Cameron.

Hopefully I've convinced someone to read the manga. It's not a treat to miss out!

Last edited:

Owaz

It's about damn time.

Volume 8 and 9 with the vampire lady are especially good.

Vilma? Yeah, there would've been a seriously big plot hole without those volumes.

Edit: Ok, apparently someone decided to merge my old BAA topic with the new one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back