• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Avengers: The Initiative...kinda cliched?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Covered in Bees

FLYNN LIVES!!!
Walking out at night, alone. Bumping into street s
I just picked up my copy of Avengers: The Initiative #1, and I have to say, even though I enjoyed it, doesn't it kinda feel like the premise is a little overdone?

It feels like it's just another story about an unusual high school of up-and-coming teenage superheroes. I mean, it's got everyone:
-Popular but secretly sensitive jock: MVP(i know, he's dead now, but he did still fit the role perfectly)
-Shy but secretly sexy girl: Cloud 9
-Creepy emo guy: Trauma
-Beautiful girl from a rich/powerful family: Thor Girl
-Angry-looking, probably punk girl: Komodo
-Goofy guy who's only there for comic relief: Slapstick
-Harsh drill sergeant-type instructor: Gauntlet
-Kinder, quieter, more attentive instructor: Justice
-Rarely seen principal: Iron Man

It just feels so freakin overdone and rehashed. Luckily, volume 2 comes out real soon though, so let's hope they decide to start making it a little more original.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
With one issue out, how can they look like anything but cliches?

I've always loved the teenage superheroes concept (Love for Teen Titans) and I'm excited to see how this series spans. Hardball, Armory (Yes, she was kicked out but you know she'll be back), Komodo, Trauma and Cloud 9 all have the secret of MVP's death to deal with (Which, by the way, is one of the few things in comics to have shocked me) and I'd like to their development go a long way.

Yeah, it's kinda like a teen movie meets a superhero comic book, but we've got potentially great characters here and that's all I care about. Not what they appear to be, but who the will be.

With one issue out, I'm liking the book. Writing's good, art is great and there are bound to be a whole bunch of guest stars along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back