• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Autism

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I'd just like to reiterate that Autistic individuals who have done great things and/or are very talented didn't need Autism in order to accomplish it. The obsessive focus may have helped them to develop it faster, but the person would still have been capable of whatever they did regardless of the mental disorder's presence.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Didn't Karutomaru say he had Asperger's?

He did, and if he really does have it, it might explain everything if he has a more severe case.

Still wouldn't discount the possibility of a clever ruse, though.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
Okay...the intelligence is a very good thing, but the memory, I have discovered isn't always a good thing.

We've had quite a....dramatic past and some of the things my brother brings up is from those...erm...bad things that happened in our past. Memory can serve as a bad thing because if something leaks out from our past, it can end badly. Just saying...

That would happen regardless of the Austim disorder my dear. <:

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Crazy World. Population: Who gives a fuk?
I'd just like to reiterate that Autistic individuals who have done great things and/or are very talented didn't need Autism in order to accomplish it. The obsessive focus may have helped them to develop it faster, but the person would still have been capable of whatever they did regardless of the mental disorder's presence.

Actually, without that obsessive focus most people with autism would have given up. I know for a fact that they would have because after a while they'd loose interest. People with autism have that obsessive factor and with it they become more determined to get things done.

Edit: I know that. But memory can be a bad thing too, Roa.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Actually, without that obsessive focus most people with autism would have given up. I know for a fact that they would have because after a while they'd loose interest. People with autism have that obsessive factor and with it they become more determined to get things done.

Maybe; and at the same time, maybe not. It doesn't change the fact that the talent was there regardless.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
why did you put this on the internet?

khi, of all places? I KNOW you know how the community would respond, sweetheart. :c

it's not really fair to your family.

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Maybe; and at the same time, maybe not. It doesn't change the fact that the talent was there regardless.

You do have a point. The talent is there. With most people, with or without Autism, their talent is always there, some people take longer to find out then others or they need the patience to work with it.

Edit: It's okay, Reffles. We are having a fairly civil discussion here.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
infinity's post.

I'd like to point out that many of those traits are also shared with people that are afflicted with bipolar disorder, especially when someone is in their 'manic' state. Personally, as someone that probably (my age makes it hard to get diagnosed) has bipolar disorder, let me tell you that things like Rapid Thought Association combined with an excellent, near photographic memory can make life very, very difficult; in that sense I can sympathize with those that are living with Autism.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
As far I know it, I'm one of the smarter mildly autistic types. I also seem to be a bit Obsessive Compulsive or is that something fairly common with those with autism. All I know I have a tendency to correct whatever I see isn't in order, such as plucking out the random sap maple saplings I see poking up through the cracks in a sidewalk. I know that I'm one of the smarter ones because I've been an A-B honor student several times and they preformed somewhat of an IQ test on me back in 8th grade. My IQ was above 110 back then. Given that I've learned a fair share of stuff and thanks to college, still learning, I might a few notches higher by now.

My main drawback is I'm not so keen on multi-tasking and I procrastinate. In fact, I wouldn't be all too surprised if all the classes I didn't get an A or B in were because of this. A good example would be one of my classes from last semester and probably my Income Tax class to. (I had several late assignments and one late project, along with one I never turned in on time. Oh, and I put off a test and didn't realize it was due until it was too late. Thanks to all the procrastinating, I got a C- or maybe it was D.)

E

Eyesore

Normal people blow up countries.
The autistic are social annoyances.
Word, that's very balanced.
Woot woot for 'normalcy...'

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Yes; I, personally, am going to blow up Venezuela in three days.

Watch for it. It'll be big.

E

Eyesore

^So, are we refuting the fact normal people blow up countries, massacre families, jack off in people's food(people like me), and saying they phase shift into a new state of being whenever these things arise?
Mouryos and Toorimonos!

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
That depends on what you define as "normal". They may not be autistic, but someone who does things like that probably isn't a person who we'd consider "normal".

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
Only about 10% of autistic people are savants. And only about 50% of savants are autistic.

And infinity symbol, autistic people have /less/ dense white matter and less instances neurotransmitters like dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin. There are also disruptions in the medial prefrontal cortex, superior temporal sulcus, fusiform face area, and the amygdal. These areas affect "theory of mind" -- our ability to understand that people have different thoughts, desires, motivations, etc. than our own.

Theory of Mind is the "big" hypothesis with Autism right now. Essentially, autistic people do not understand how people expect them to act. They can't determine the intentions of others and can't probably assess how their behaviors effect others.

(Fun fact: One of the leading researcher's in this field is Sacha Baron-Cohen's cousin, Simon Baron-Cohen).

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Wow this whole "normal people blow up places" made me lol.

With that, people who are mind controlled by the government blow up places. But that's a different story for another thread.

Can we get back on topic?

Edit: Oh geez....stephaknee, autistic people shouldn't be "expected" to act in anyway. I don't care if you're a researcher, honestly. I've had loads of personal experience with autistic people, ones who can't speak, ones who have very short tempers (like my brother's best friend), and ones who can function pretty well in society (like my brother's gf). I've been around different kinds of autistic people and understand that they behave differently, but they are people just like us and deserve to get to speak for themselves, just like my brother did in the video I posted.

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
^I'm sure they were just as 'normal' as you, Chevalier.

What kind of point are you trying to make anyway? That people who aren't autistic can be much more harmful to society than people who are? There's no question about that, but it doesn't mean autism isn't a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back