• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Attention to All Role-Players!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

Looking at threads recently, I have noticed that several people in the Role-Playing section are telling newcomers that "They suck." or "Have little/no talent."

This is not acceptable! You cannot simply call someone a bad Role-Player because their writing skills represent that of someone new to the forums! Even if it is true that they are bad Role-Players, you cannot discourage growth! Everyone denies new Role-Players immediately because their egos seem to have grown exponentially by someone saying they're good!

This should not be tolerated in my opinion and should be enforced that disrespect of new Role-Players is not acceptable here on KHInsider.com!

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Sticked, for now. If things get out of hand, I'm going to close this.

People, seriously. You were all newbies once, and you don't need to treat newbies like dirt because you're thinking you're better than them. Of course you're better than them! Roleplaying-wise. As a person, you guys are the same. You might not have the same personality or look the same, but you're human and you have no right to bash someone because they're an easy target.

I don't care if you hate me or not, but please, just listen to me for once. Stop harassing newbies, stop harassing other members. You're all human beings, but you have no written right to harass people for no reason. Yes, I know people harass other people. But, PLEASE, just cut it out. Or else, that'll be your own fault for the action that is taken.

HeartofTwilight

I see where you are coming from and you have a good point, however there is another side to things. When it says literate in the rules and posts of 2 paragraphs or more, those rules have to be met. People who have worked to get good at RPing want to RP with people who know what they are doing.

From personal experience, the bigger problem is newer, and some older RPers who constantly GM and PP their characters.

If new RPers want to grow, all the power to them, but there has to be an effort shown. I learned by trying to copy the more advanced RPers, holding myself to a higher standerd than a newcomer. Now I am not the best RPer on this site. Far from it, but I try, and that is what counts. If you are new here and want to learn,
~Spell check posts or write on a word possessor
~Use basic grammar i.e. "Dialog," Character said.
~Control ONLY your character and NPC
~Remember we all have weaknesses

If anyone wants advice or critic on their skills, feel free to PM me.

Devious

Yes, HeartofTwilight. An effort should be made by the newcomers. But you see, there is an issue with the older members that does not allow the newcomers to grow in their skills. When someone comes into the forums as a brand new member, they will see the Role-Playing section and think Oh, how quaint, I think I'll join for fun and see what it's like. (I use this quote because it is generally what I thought when I first joined KHI when it was known as KH2.net) and personally, I had a good time, because the people were nicer and helped me out.

Now, however, people are absolutely rude! And it is not acceptable and is known as FLAMING, if you can remember, that is not acceptable behaviour on KHI. And for some reason, nothing is done about it because the Role-Players show no respect to the Mods and do as they damn well please!

http://forums.khinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77667
This was on Time's signature, this was only earlier this month when this happened (note the time it was listed under).

The responses are rediculous!

Swag

Young King
As much as I would love to sympathized with newbies, I really can't. Even when I first joined I was better than most new RPers (sure I had grammar mistakes but my post were readable and most were two paragraphs). If you ask me, newbies getting told they aren't good shouldn't discourage them. It should ENCOURAGE them to try harder so that people won't say that. For example: When I first started RPing was around the same time Breakdown and Fatal Advent created their clan Eemental Arts. I tried to join, but in the end I was told I wasn't good enough. Sure, I got mad at first. But if I hadn't of gotten turned down that day there is no way I would be the RPer I am today.

And Rena, most of the people who flame you don't hate you as a person, or atleast I don't. Just as a mod people feel you fall a bit short of duty. Now, don't take that the wrong way. I'm just telling it like it is.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion. Like it or lump it.

Devious

Well D2L, unfortunately not everyone is the same. We do not all gain encouragement from a dissapointment or an insult. If you look at the posts made in that link, you should notice the extent this has reached. It is no longer a matter of encouraging a new Role-Player to better themselves! It has reached a point where it is pure flaming. It does not matter when you think you're "just trying to help out" when you say "Who wants to rip this newb a new asshole? Because I don't have time for kids like them."

That is utter disrespect, no if's and's or but's about it! I will not tolerate that, I never did tolerate that when I was new, and certainly wouldn't if I was new. Notice I joined 2 years prior to your joining (give or take a few months) and you do not know what the forums were like when I was first here. I was treated with utter respect, and flaming was not a problem back then. I never have been treated with disrespect because I was known as one of the best and I started out as one of the worst with the worst grammatical errors ever.

You can start out good, or start out bad, but there will always be skeptics. Though this should not be allowed on forums that specifically state that flaming is not allowed.

Electropop

What would you do for a Klondak Bar
Website
www.myspace.com
-Snorts-

Finally, let get a hand for people. This isnt new. People have been flaming since i have been in here. But i do not enjoy Discourgment. People are differnt for reasons. Its good for people to stick out, and hold there head high. This is a place, where people can feel welcomed, Not unworthy.

Khinsider, brought us togather by one thing only.

Kingdom Hearts.

But people find out, that others like things differnt. They love other things. Sometimes you might like the same thing others you might not.

We must come togather. Yes we can disgree, but we must work togather as one to bring back the old RolePlaying times we have come to love.

Im trying not to preach to a choir of whom will not listen.

But im giving it one FINAL time.

Please, please, please, please,please

Come togather and WORK TOGATHER to bring it back!

I beg you.

-gets on hands and knees and begs-

God please!

Sorasheart281~

Attack! Attack!

Darkest Hour
It's best to tell someone they need improvement, but do not completely flame them, for example 'j00 suck nub gtfo'

That is not how to go about it. Possibly this. 'Hey, you may want to learn a little bit more before you start out, try to improve yourself.'

Something along those lines.

Last edited:

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There is a difference between being discouraged with someone because they do not have the same grammar skills as you. I can look at a lot of ya'lls post histories and see horrible grammar when you first joined.

There will never be room for growth in the roleplay forum if you do not allow a way for newcomers to enjoy themselves as well. =) If you'd like roleplays to your liking, make them invite only. If your making a roleplay for anyone to join in on, don't discourage someone who is trying to learn.

D2L one thing I dont understand..."I wouldn't be the roleplayer I am today" Then what roleplayer would you be? Roleplaying is not about gaining some sort of status or rank, its just about having fun.

Endgame

:D
...I can take a hint. Yeah, I went overboard on that Auron guy. And yeah, you're right, there is a mindset that prevents newbies from ever developing. I don't think I was much better then Auron-whatever-his-number-was when I first joined.

Consider my eyes opened. It'll stop now, at least from me.

However, the other point I've seen made is is that, often, people don't want newbies to join their roleplays. I'd like to put fowards that that, too, is acceptable. I've had too many of mine ruined by kiddies coming in thinking that they're the main character and they can just go kill everyone for no reason.

And don't nobody go suggesting these little RP schools or whatever. They've been tried, and don't work.

monkeybutt said:
D2L one thing I dont understand..."I wouldn't be the roleplayer I am today" Then what roleplayer would you be? Roleplaying is not about gaining some sort of status or rank, its just about having fun.

Actually, getting others to recognise you, getting a reputation, is the attraction for quite a few, I would think. Fun aside, there is a large element of ego involved. Of wanting to be noticed or recognised. Especially considering a large amount of the members of this forum are school-aged gamers, and considering the school-aged gamer's typical social status.

Last edited:

Garion

Look, I've been role playing for a couple years now and though I'm new here I've got to say that this is actually typical. A really good RPer sees a horrible n00b and tells them that they suck. It happens but that still doesn't make it right. If your going to tell someone they suck please point out to them exactly why. Tell them about the mistakes that they made so they can learn from them and become better. Having people constantly criticing(sp?) your post actually does help you grow so if you do see a newbie Rping horribly just at least show them how to do things correctly a link to good post is even acceptable.

For every person you shut down you could be wasting a potiential awesome Rper.

KHFanatic4565

Oblivion Angel
I see where you are coming from and you have a good point, however there is another side to things. When it says literate in the rules and posts of 2 paragraphs or more, those rules have to be met. People who have worked to get good at RPing want to RP with people who know what they are doing.

From personal experience, the bigger problem is newer, and some older RPers who constantly GM and PP their characters.

If new RPers want to grow, all the power to them, but there has to be an effort shown. I learned by trying to copy the more advanced RPers, holding myself to a higher standerd than a newcomer. Now I am not the best RPer on this site. Far from it, but I try, and that is what counts. If you are new here and want to learn,
~Spell check posts or write on a word possessor
~Use basic grammar i.e. "Dialog," Character said.
~Control ONLY your character and NPC
~Remember we all have weaknesses

If anyone wants advice or critic on their skills, feel free to PM me.

Copy? As much as I can say from, I shall refrain. It is your preference.

Anyways, I also agree with this statement of fact. There are those who bash upon the new players without mercy. That is difficult to deal with when the accused are some of the best that are in place upon your forums. Fortunately, not all of the veterens perform this act.

Swag

Young King
monkey, you took that all wrong. Not saying I wouldn't be the RPer I am today rank wise. I meant, the lessons I've learned and the things I've done that made me who I am right now RP wise.

EDIT: HeartofTwilight, writing your post on a word processor is actually counter-productive. The way to get better is to get better grammar and such, and they can't be attained through having your computer correcting your post for you.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Perhaps so, but even then. If you were still roleplaying today with or without "OMG U SUK", it would be because you enjoyed it, not because of anything else.

Swag

Young King
True, but i wouldn't be as good as I am now probably. That "OMG U SUK" made me want to work that much harder to make everyone STFU. Also, that started my friendship/rivalry with Fatal Advent, which also help me to become better. But that's a different story. =P

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
This information is not new, and in any case, extremely late on the draw.

Look back over the months in early fall of last year, the differences between then and now are DRASTIC.

Complaining about the flaming now is virtually useless. One or two incidents are entirely controllable and I believe does not warrant all this drama. Rules are rules, flaming is prohibited.

Drop the bravado, and drop the complaining. It's only going to stimulate drama and complaints. If there is an issue with flaming, pin point the flamers and take care of it without making a dramatic topic out of it.

We don't need unneccesary attention bringing menial issues that are no longer a real problem back to the surface lest we get people with saddistic ideas thinking about how best to flame the newbies just because you told them they can't.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That "OMG U SUK" made me want to work that much harder to make everyone STFU.

Then you are right there. But not everyone has such a strong heart like you. xD Rather, not everyone has the same personality type and would react differently if attacked.

I mainly agree with Endless Devoid here. Thank you for bringing the issue up to attention, it will be handled appropriatly. But other then that, this thread is not probing to be efficient and rather ineffective. So it can be closed. ^_~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back