• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Atheism vs. Religion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

文偉立

newb programmer
(Huh...never thought I'd do another intel thread again but I guess it can't be helped...)

I'm atheist, let's get that straight. I can sit here before you and tell you I do not believe in any god nor do I believe in divinity in any. But then again, I would be flamed badly because as the single first thread poster, I'm the first victim to undergo debate...oh well...worth the shot.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm not entirely certain of the grounds we are taking this by, so I will content myself with a question for the time being-

Do you actively disbelieve in the possible existence of any divinity, or is it that you just have no reason to believe in any such figures?

文偉立

newb programmer
Perhaps I'm just a tad agnostic as well. I would've been born into buddhism but my father has brought me up to rather live life to full extent without much limitations. I do find many limits in religion.

No, I do not quite believe in a god, or of any real divinity

I did have an inner conflict over the thread title. I believe my original intent for this thread was "how can religion be proven?". Because to many, god is fact.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
アクラ said:
No, I do not quite believe in a god, or of any real divinity
Then you're not agnostic in any way.

I have a question. If there is no divinity, what praytell, dictates what is right and wrong? (perhaps this should be in another thread... bah)

Straw_Hat

Master T said:
I have a question. If there is no divinity, what praytell, dictates what is right and wrong?

What i believe is that there is no right nor wrong. What i mean is, it all depends on the viewpoint of "wrong-doings" or "right-doings". Ill use the kamikaze bombers, or suicide bombers of today as an example. They believe what they are doing is the ultimate good. We call them terrorists. We want to liberate them, thinking we are doing a kindness. They, as anyone with a functioning brain can plainly see, do not want us to "liberate" them, and thus, blow us up, which is "wrong".

Now, i am a completely nuetral party in this disscusion, being a (non-practicing) Deist.

T

The Marauder

Straw_Hat said:
What i believe is that there is no right nor wrong. What i mean is, it all depends on the viewpoint of "wrong-doings" or "right-doings". Ill use the kamikaze bombers, or suicide bombers of today as an example. They believe what they are doing is the ultimate good. We call them terrorists. We want to liberate them, thinking we are doing a kindness. They, as anyone with a functioning brain can plainly see, do not want us to "liberate" them, and thus, blow us up, which is "wrong".

Now, i am a completely nuetral party in this disscusion, being a (non-practicing) Deist.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Good and Evil, Right and Wrong are all points ov view. I myself have no reason to believe in any god or supernatural dieties, so I don't. Simple.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
Vs? Is this a debate or more of a discussion?

If you don't have a religion, cool, your protected under freedom of religion(or none) if you live in the US. What I really don't like is when both parties (religous and atheist) attack each other with insults and threats. Rather than arguing you should just ignore each other and get on with your lives.

mz. eggsy

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Straw_Hat said:
Well anyone can tell you that. I asked what "dictates" it. Who determines right and wrong? We obviously believe in "virtues", opinion plays a role in that as well, but what exactly dictates them? What makes them virtues?

文偉立

newb programmer
I apologize. I took a nap.

I will say that yes, the title says "Atheism vs Religion". Religion meaning any of the current (or historical). Then again, to live a life of religion seems to completely limit that of an individual. To not even receive any reward in the same lifetime, anyhow.

Last edited:

RiseAgainst

I am also an atheist, I think that the people back in medievel times made it up so that they could get some kind of power alongside the government

文偉立

newb programmer
To some, "god" means fact. It's an axiom and it just "true" even without proof, which is contradicting of the logic of intelligence. Perhaps "god" is a replacement for the unknown. I have pondered if a religion could be completely voided with proof, but evidence alone still struggles against religion.

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
RiseAgainst said:
I am also an atheist, I think that the people back in medievel times made it up so that they could get some kind of power alongside the government
Medieval times? Religion and concepts of good/evil have been around for a far longer time than that.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
RiseAgainst said:

Religion has been around for thousands of years. It was created as man's Hope. They created it as a way to comfort themselves from the dangerous and mysterious world they lived in. The Catholic Church did have some control when it came to politics in the Middle Ages, but that wasn't when religon was created.

Because religion was created long ago, in a world without intellectual thought, people accepted it, wether there was any evidence or not. I think the reason there are more atheists now than a thousand years ago is because people think for themselves now. They don't have to worry about being comforted because they know the cold truth through science. The reason religion still exists is for the sake of tradition, and for those who still seek that comfort and hope.

Noblethe3rd

At college, seeking a higher education, and if I t
They don't have to worry about beign comforted because they know the cold truth through science
Well reality is harsh and science is not one to put it simple and in comforting ways. Science shouldn't be the reason people are atheists. Atheists are people with no established beliefs in a divine power. Those that follow Scientism are those that believe science explains all things. So the truth is, if you base you beliefs on science, you are more towards scientism. The problem is that people never talk about that as a idea of scientism, thus people don't think of it in this way.

The reason religion still exists is for the sake of tradition, and for those who still seek that comfort and hope.
Some people don't want to accept that we really are just random occurances in the universe and that we are utterly insignificant and the day to day lives we lead hold no impact on the world little alone the universe. Religion is not just comfort and hope, its a purpose and reason for living.

Schweppes

In that little space inside my head where anime ch
If there is no divinity, what praytell, dictates what is right and wrong?

People see things as wrong by when it hurts or upsets them or if it hurts other people that they care about. They also learn to dislike the things that parents, teachers or peers dislike. What it right, is what makes the person happy. So you dictate right and wrong.

mz. eggsy

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Schweppes said:
What it right, is what makes the person happy.
I don't like donating money to charity (hypothetical). Does that make it wrong?

They also learn to dislike the things that parents, teachers or peers dislike.
So you dictate right and wrong.
Those two statements conflict each other. The first one states that the people around you influence it rather than yourself, while the second suggests otherwise. Which one is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back