• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

atheism, fad or ideology

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Idiots, the whole lot of you. Atheism has nothing to do with being against religion and everything with being opposed to the idea of a deity. Don't confuse the two. Is Buddhism not an Atheistic religion, and are deists not people who believe in God without having any designated faith?

Atheism falls under this definition, btw.

Atheism is not a cause, it requires only one main principle (as do many other things that would not be considered religions), it is neither a system of beliefs or something that requires faith; the absence of faith is not the faith of absence.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Dogenzaka said:
Atheism falls under this definition, btw.

How? There is no cause, or system of beliefs, and they are not held to with ardor or faith. There may be groups that are passionate for a cause, but they do not represent atheism as a whole. There is only one principle, the disbelief in gods.

Sam said:
Atheism has nothing to do with being against religion and everything with being opposed to the idea of a deity. Don't confuse the two. Is Buddhism not an Atheistic religion, and are deists not people who believe in God without having any designated faith?

Sorry, I associate gods with religion, you are very right. Buddhism, though, in some of its forms has one or more deities, though they are not the center of the religion.

A

Azrael

Atheism is no belief, fad or ideology. It's a lack of belief. A lack of submitting yourself to some omnipotent being who can make the world a better place if we can hold back our desires and follow a bunch of mundane commandments from some tablet supposedly handed down to someone who probably never existed. The Western world, unless something happens to reverse the trend, will grow more secular and its population will eventually not have religion as a centerpiece in their lives as much as it was during the Cold War. Religion won't die in much of the Third World due to obvious reasons but time is ticking for religion's usefulness to society.

krexia

Translator
Awards
I wonder if people assume atheism because they feel to be held back by religion but also the need to be part of a group.
How do atheists make up a 'group'? To paraphrase a typical example, that's like saying people who don't collect stamps are a 'group'.

I've been an atheist, in practical terms, my entire life. Obviously when I was a three-year-old this was without argument and without a reason I could express - I just never believed in any kind of supernatural power. It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I could properly explain why religion seemed like nonsense to me, but when I finally read The God Delusion at age 22, I didn't find much in it that I hadn't considered on my own long before.

Nintandy

Bronze Member
I've not read The God Delusion myself, but I've read countless other viewpoints. In the end though, I feel secure in my beliefs. Really, what annoys me most is how people conform to preset environments. People should go out into the world and find out what they truly believe for themselves. Being spoonfed utter nonsense and spreading the word is not believing. That just makes you a sheep with no true argument. I've come to the conclusion that I do not believe in the Christian God. I do not believe in any deity to be honest, and really my beliefs are more about the feeling of life itself rather than anything else. Individualism especially. Atheism just means you do not believe in a god. People are atheists for different reasons, and interpret life in their own individual ways. Yes, it may be a collective term, but in reality it's just a term for those who do not follow a particular deity, or cluster of deities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back