• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

atheism, fad or ideology

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

very differentiable
Awards
I've seen lots of debates on the internet involving atheists and theists. What strikes me most is how in a lot of discussions i see simmilar phrases or retorts in a lot of these discussions. Often quoting the same sites and books. They've all read the god delusion, watch george carlin and refer to hitchens. I wonder if people assume atheism because they feel to be held back by religion but also the need to be part of a group. In 2000, i was nine, i wanted to see if there really was a god, so i asked him to show himself to me. Based on that conclusion (and the fact i hated going to church, i'd rather do what i wanted) i became atheist, a crude form of scientific method so to say. I had no grudge against the church whatsoever, although lately i feel good not to be associated with it. It was in 2002 that we got a computer and internet, dawkins launched to fame in 2004. I've known i wanted into the field of science ever since i got high-school mathematics in elementary school. To me it almost seems atheism has become a pseudo-religion with it's own books (god delusion, the selfish gene), prophets (dawkins, hitchens) and doctrine (science). While the whole reason i think atheism isn't a collective because we have one thing in common. So, is being an atheist a fad of wanting to be different from others, or is it an ideology people assume because they think it's the truth?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
This is why I like being agnostic, I can sit back or totally ignore the repetitive arguments that come up between theists and atheists.

I think atheism, as it's now become, is no longer about trying to be unique or different, it's about those that simply want to live in a world where religion doesn't have a say in things that should (in my opinion) be left to cold, hard, and possibly brutal, science.

very differentiable
Awards
That would be a way, but i feel that makes it a bit simple, may be different for you. I still consider the odds of a god, who's pretty good at hide and seek if he exists, though i consider them low unless there are indications of one.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Eh, I choose to be agnostic to remain open-minded more than anything.

very differentiable
Awards
Wasn't agnostic the notion that you can't know the truth? Or am i off by kilometres.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
It was something along those lines. I find it a compromise between being downright believing there is no greater order in the universe and hoping that there is.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Eh, I choose to be agnostic to remain open-minded more than anything.

Being open-minded involves critical thinking and logic processes. There is no proof of any deities, ergo, why believe in them? It's one thing to be open to the possibility of something which has some evidence to it, and another thing to be open about something with no basis sans what humans have created. And by that second standard, you would need to be open to every variety of belief. You may find a creator deity more plausible simply because you were raised around monotheism and you identify with it, but that doesn't make it so.

Anyways, group mentality can be found everywhere, especially in suppressed minorities. From my experience I don't think people become atheists simply to rebel, they just find religion illogical. Atheism is only the absence of religion, nothing else. If you ask atheists about other subjects, you will find a tremendously wide range of opinions.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you go out touting books and what-not. I thought that was a point. D:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
As Aucune Raison points out, atheism is simply the lack of theism. Most people would find it difficult to build a complete ideology off of such a position, though some such as the "New Atheists" (Dawkins, Hitchens et al) seemingly do so--but I personally find such 'ideologies' suspect.

Of course, the lack of a complete ideology can be freeing or limiting. If one does not have a complete ideology, a holistic method of interpreting the world, one can only latch onto small pieces--the God Delusion, George Carlin, Hitchens--to answer against those who do.

Atheism, like any pattern of thought, does not begin fully formed--I suppose one could call it a "fad" at this stage. An individual must form their own ideology and paradigm around it, and then they can start to move beyond the easily-accessed but repetitive arguments they begin with.

very differentiable
Awards
Isn't the formation of your own ideology done by forming your own arguments, as such only keeping in mind the one thing you have in common. At least, that's what true freethinkers should do would they deserve that title.

Summonerbrandon

O.O I am not into atheism because I'm not a atheist myself. if atheism is going to become a religion, then I think there's going to be a lot of drama. I don't find athiest a fad but athiests don't believe that there is a god. You saying that you became one because God didn't show himself to you is one. (Why would God show himself to you when he works in mysterious ways anyways?) Anyways, even though I'm a christian, I still respect atheists regardless & make them feel like that person is still family regardless.

very differentiable
Awards
If he is omnipotient and wants me in his camp, he could easily show himself, but when i went through high-school i've got to see more reasons. Anyway, let's not get this into an i'm right discussion, i rather discuss the view of atheism gradually climbing into a religion.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I don't understand how it's growing into a religion. As an organization, it's spreading, but a religion? Wouldn't that be counterproductive?

Awards
  • Main Entry: re·li·gion
  • Pronunciation: \ri-ˈli-jən\
  • Function: noun
  • Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely
  • Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

In what sense of the word can Atheism be considered a religion? A social faction, maybe, but a religion?

very differentiable
Awards
Mainly the fourth definition, parroting arguments from others, reffering to the same book (the god delusion), a leader or representative speaking for others (dawkins/hitchens). I realise not all atheists are like this, i do see a group who follow those people and books ardently.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
Athiesm as a religion doesnt make much sense to me. If they are to strive against joining a religion, wouldnt making athiesm itself a religion go against theyre own cause? I for one choose to allow other people do as they will. I don't prove nor disprove God or any other Diety so no flames please...discussions like this tend to get heated.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Atheism does not have to become a religion in order to develop many of its qualities--qualities that atheists such as Hitchens and Dawkins strongly rebuke.

Isn't the formation of your own ideology done by forming your own arguments, as such only keeping in mind the one thing you have in common. At least, that's what true freethinkers should do would they deserve that title.
Ideally, yes. But it also involves adopting the arguments of others and slowly working through them as you find your own.

very differentiable
Awards
Not atheism in general, only those i speak of in my previous posts. I sure as heck don't fit in that description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back