• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Astronomy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
We spoke earlier of stars, the sun, black holes, etc. earlier. Sky Bolt, Time, and Zero Sora... i hope yooh bear with me and join. especially yooh Sky Bolt. so, this introduction stated, shall we continue? starting with Black Holes i guess...

Joy

Bronze Member
I'll just re-post my earlier idea.

Say a black hole's gravity is 100x stronger than that of Earth. (I know it isn't bear with me.) Now, I create a magnet that can beat Earth's gravity, and multiply that by 100 in strength. I then bring it out to a black hole, and sitting there is an unmovable block of iron (it is only being used for argument, I know it's not possible). The magnet connects to the iron, and sits there.

Theoretically, the magnet won't come off because gravity is a weaker force than magnetism. I have just equaled the two, therefore the magnet should not be move.

Sky Bolt

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Ok, I'll start by giving a basic definition of a black hole and a wiki reference for those who wish to learn more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

A black hole is a spacial phenomenon with a gravitational field so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape its pull. According to general relativity, it is an empty region of space with a singularity in the centre and an event horizon at the edge. There is also a layer that is created by the rotation of black holes. This layer is called the ergosphere.

The event horizon is a limit surrounding the singularity. When something reaches this limit it would require an infinite amount of energy to escape the black hole. Because of this, the object can never escape. This is also true of light and any other form of energy or radiation, hense the black nature of a black hole.

The ergosphere is a layer surrounding the event horizon that has a rotational velocity of approximately the speed of light, allowing anything that falls within the ergosphere the posibility for escape by gaining energy by being forced into an orbit around the black hole.

The singularity itself is an object of infinite density existing in a form so small that, were it not impossible to be near it without being crushed into oblivion, you would not be able to see it with the naked eye.

If anyone wishes to contest something here, go right ahead. I'd be glad to have an intellectual discussion about it.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Say a black hole's gravity is 100x stronger than that of Earth. (I know it isn't bear with me.) Now, I create a magnet that can beat Earth's gravity, and multiply that by 100 in strength. I then bring it out to a black hole, and sitting there is an unmovable block of iron (it is only being used for argument, I know it's not possible). The magnet connects to the iron, and sits there.

Theoretically, the magnet won't come off because gravity is a weaker force than magnetism. I have just equaled the two, therefore the magnet should not be move.

Problem is, this would apply outside the event horizon, where the gravity is the same as the collapsed star. Inside, where the gravity's strong enough to suck light and warp time and space, I'm pretty sure it beats electromagnetism.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
quote from Sky Bolt: The singularity itself is an object of infinite density existing in a form so small that, were it not impossible to be near it without being crushed into oblivion, you would not be able to see it with the naked eye.
quote from wiki: Black holes can be of almost any mass. Since gravity increases in strength as volume is decreased, almost any object sufficiently compressed will become a black hole. However, when black holes form naturally, only a few mass ranges are common.

Black holes can be divided into several size categories:

Supermassive black holes containing millions to billions of times the mass of the sun are believed to exist in the center of most galaxies, including our own Milky Way.
Intermediate-mass black holes, whose size is measured in thousands of solar masses, may exist. Intermediate-mass black holes have been proposed as a possible power source for ultra-luminous X ray sources.
Stellar-mass black holes have masses ranging from about 1.5-3.0 solar masses (the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit) to 15 solar masses. These black holes are created by the collapse of individual stars. Stars above about 20 solar masses may collapse to form black holes; the cores of lighter stars form neutron stars or white dwarf stars. In all cases some of the star's material is lost (blown away during the red giant stage for stars that turn into white dwarfs, or lost in a supernova explosion for stars that turn into neutron stars or black holes).
Micro black holes, which have masses at which the effects of quantum mechanics are expected to become very important. This is usually assumed to be near the Planck mass. Alternatively, the term micro black hole or mini black hole may refer to any black hole with mass much less than that of a star. Black holes of this type have been proposed to have formed during the Big Bang (primordial black holes), but no such holes have been detected as of 2007.

----
so, though many black holes cannot be seen by the naked eye, there CAN be really large ones??? if so i think that's cool. i'm still amazed that it can exist at the size of a needle and still have such power and effects. And, juss thinking of it... we did a topic in physical science last school year where the teacher asked about this: "Let's say a black hole would come close enough to our solar system so that it's near pluto. Scientists discover it and do research and experiments and find out it is actually moving towards earth. As years pass, they Pluto is sucked in, Neptune is right near it, and it's continuing to move at a constant rate. Predictions have been made that it will reach earth in forty years. What do you think will be done during that time, how do you think will it affect the earth as it gets closer, and what do you think will happen once it reaches us?" It was something like that. (That's been almost two years so i don't remember clearly, but i thought i might mention it. any takers?)

Sky Bolt

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The singularity is always extremely small, that's the same for any size class of black hole. The thing that changes is the size of the event horizon. This size is determined by the mass and density of the singularity, which in turn is dependant on the mass and density of the object (star) that collapsed to form it.

I take back what I said the other night. A black hole does increase in size as it draws in matter. The process I mentioned about spontanious matter generation and the process of speeding up matter in the ergosphere are two ways in which energy is lost by a black hole.

I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject (much) because I've only taken one unit of astronomy at university and that was early last year. I've forgotten the details about several things.

Pho made a good point about our discussion, Time. The event horizon is the point where the gravitational force of the black hole warps time and space, so it would definitely be enough to move, if not destroy, the magnet. However, in regards to the gravitational field outside the event horizon, I believe it actually decends from there at a smooth rate from that of the event horizon.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
ahhh oukei. that makes sense then. and Sky Bolt, expert or not, i find you the most knowledgeable, so i like having you here. and thanks to yooh, i'm seriously thinking of going to college for Astronomy first and foremost. i'm so intrigued now. (forgot i liked it so much) ~ahh the unknown~:toungesmile:

Sky Bolt

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I like astronomy quite a lot too. As a matter of fact, my uncle cowrites an astronomy journal for the southern hemisphere, specifically Australia. It's a really good book, with things like rise and set times for the moon, planets and some stars. There are things like dates for eclipses and meteor showers as well. My friends and I were going to go take a camping trip to watch a meteor shower last year, but that never happened. A shame, really, but that's what we get for leaving Ben in charge of organizing things.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
^^ haha. too bad.... i always wanted to go on a camping trip. stay up at night, go near an empty patch of grass and fall asleep looking at the sky... when i get older i want a house with a lotta land in a quiet area. the land will slope down to a huge lake, and a large oak tree will be tree so i kin sit in it or beneath it and look at the sky as well... (i'm a dreamer, eh?)

and that sounds kool! wish i could read the journal... those types of writings don't bore me in the least-- i LUVe them!!! =))

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Perhaps, but what's there to discuss? Singularity, bends spacetime, absorbs light if it enters it's event horizon.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
I read a really good and detailed article about this somewhere.

I'll edit with a link.

ahh, thanks. and it is sad. (i haven't been here lately, internet was down. so, this is a late reply.) anyhow, i find it all so fascinating. but black holes aren't the only thing we have to discuss! this is an Astronomy section! *i'm energetic* anyway, we can move on to another topic of astronomy. for example, what's ya'll favorite thing in astronomy? aside from the enigmatic black holes, there are MANY things that i appreciate about space. other galaxies, stars...
hey, a thought just occured, a friend mentioned this to me before and it got me thinking, though it may sound stupid to others. first off, neither of us believe in aliens, however, "ppl often speak of life on other planets. think of how many galaxies there are. we may know of them, but we've never been to them. they may have some planets there suited for life as well. but i mean HUMAN life of course. how would we know?" <-- that's what i was questioned on.
now, i'll quickly say i don't know much about the topic i enjoy so much, so if any of you know better as to y this could be possible or is impossible, or juss have comments, i'd like to hear them. please, even if yooh harshly reject the idea, just no flames.

What happens in the event of a 'shooting star'? I've always wanted to know.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
in short it's a part of a meteor that has broken up but is big enough to make it thru the earth's atmosphere without being imeediately destroyed. as it descends faster and further, heat creates a fire that makes the light from one so we see it. (i think that's rite.) i'll let Sky Bolt explain it further. Meteoroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Sky Bolt

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Basically, a "shooting star" or meteoroid, is debris, from an object such as an asteroid, which has entered the Earth’s atmosphere and begun to fall towards the ground under the effects of Earth’s gravity. As the debris rushes through the layers of gas in the atmosphere, the pressure it exerts due to its extreme velocity begin to compress the air and heat it, which in turn heats the debris. Once the heat reaches a certain point the debris begins to glow with heat and leaves a bright trail behind it. If that was too technical, think of it as a rock in space that speeds towards Earth. When it hits the atmosphere it presses really hard against the air, and when the air pressure is increased it heats up. Because the air around it gets heated, the rock is heated up as well, and when it gets really hot it glows.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com
~woot~ thanks sky bolt. as for myself, i was... *scratches head* it was a nice try=^.^= LoL
o, this is randum and i heard about it a while back but don't know why this was decided: why is pluto no longer considered a planet? is it because of it's size???? that's odd now. 8 planets.
My
Very
Excellent
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
---?---

LoL

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Pluto's not considered a planet because it hasn't cleared it's "neighborhood". Bunch of rocky bodies are near it, like the belt between Mars and Jupiter. There's at least one body bigger than Pluto beyond it, and there are probably dozens more, so Pluto had to go out.

Sky Bolt

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
this is randum: what is the next comet that will appear and when????
When I get home tonight I'll look it up in my uncle's astronomy journel. However, I can't remember if that part of it is just for the southern hemisphere. Different things are observed at different times depending on where in the world you are, and the book he and his colleagues write is for the southern hemisphere.

EDIT: Not wanting to double post here, but I forgot to check my uncle's journal and I can't be bothered getting it now. I don't know where it is so I'm not going to go looking for it.

In other news, did anyone hear about the recently discovered supernova SN2006gy? I saw it tonight, but it's either been hidden by clouds or it's simply ceased to shine. It was really bright, though. More so than any star I've ever seen. It was so bright that there was a glow around it in the sky.
Keep in mind that this is an explosion of a star around 100 times the size of our sun and thus making the radius of the star approximately the size of Earth’s orbit. The explosion is 240 million light years away, so it actually exploded 240 million years ago and we can only see it now because the light has only just had the time to reach us. It's an impressive sight, for those of us down here in the southern hemisphere. SN2006gy was a star in lower part of the southern celestial hemisphere, which means that it's only visible from a place south of the equator.
For those of us down here in the southern hemisphere there may be another light show in store for us sometime in the future. As for how long, it’s impossible to tell at this time. The star Eta Carinae is a star of the stellar class known as a hypergiant. Its mass is something in the range of 100 to 150 times that of our sun, however it is most likely less that 120 times because there is a theoretical limit that suggests any star with more than 120 times the mass of our sun is likely to have an outward force greater than its own gravity. If that were the case then it would create one of the largest explosions ever known. This is the potential case for Eta Carinae some time in the future. Astronomers believe that the light from the explosion of Eta Carinae would be enough to read a book in the middle of the night with no other light source. Can you imagine that? It’d be light a second moon at night. I, personally, hope that it blows its theoretical limit soon so that those of us down here in the viewing range get to see the best free light show in the galaxy. Ahh well, only time will tell for this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back