• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Art of Translation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
To the people of KHI, how important do you feel localization is for games? Especially games that are so story-driven, that amass a time of over 3 hours in total for cutscenes. I feel translation is an art as it's an arduous process and simply translating everything word by word will not necessarily capture the same feeling that was intended.

I'd suggest listening to this interview of Jeremy Blaustein, who did the localization for Snatcher, MGS1 (PSX), Castlevania: SotN, and Silent Hill 2 to name a few. It's about 2 hours long, 12 parts in total.

Part 2 of 12
Part 3 of 12
Part 4 of 12
Part 5 of 12
Part 6 of 12
Part 7 of 12
Part 8 of 12
Part 9 of 12
Part 10 of 12
Part 11 of 12
Part 12 of 12

So what do you think?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
there is a lot of bullshit surrounding translation and voice-acting, and it's not just limited to video games. it's gotten so bad that i almost wish developers would stop using it altogether.

also i didn't realize he was the guy who localized snatcher (which had a really good translation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back