• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Are video games getting too long?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I was on NeoGaf and I saw this article. The takeaway from it is that gamers are paying less money, so there's less need to create 10-hour-plus gaming experiences, because consumers no longer feel shortchanged. What do you think about this? How long do you prefer your games?

For me, I want as much gameplay as possible when I buy a game, especially considering how unreasonably expensive it is being a gamer. 60 dollars for one game is is still extremely high for me.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I'm pretty sure most gamers want more content (as long as it's good), not less.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
$60 for a 10 hour story line? No thank you. Those types of games are the reason why I only stick to RPG's. Whatever happened to the days where you could spend $50 and get a 25+ hour story?

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Bullshit we're spending less money. People are opting to buy games used all over the country because they don't feel the game they're getting is worth the $60 price tag.

And the article says something about a large number of players losing interesting in games because of the narrative being too long? And it uses Heavy Rain as an example. The game where you had to spend an hour playing with retarded little kids before you actually get to the interesting parts. No, if people lose interest it's because you don't know how to create a fun game; good story or not.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Developers would actually like to raise the games costs,and to an extent;they have an excuse.Buying used games has become a trend and people would delay their purchase just to do that.Developers don't get money on used games(here's one of the main reasons of the PSN pass).and with the rise of piracy devs will only get less and less profit which may lead to thee studios closure.How can you blame them for trying to make money when quality games get overlooked while yearly unupdated shit (COD) gets 10mill sold easily.

XenonSovereign

The End Boss of KHInsider
It depends, really. We do want long games, but some of these 10 hr games, like Uncharted 2, are perfect at their time-cap. Some games like Metal Gear Solid 4 are required to have more time.

Assassin's Creed II, longer than 10 hrs, dragged for me. So it really boils down to the game.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
No, they actually feel shorter imo... and we as gamers are being ripped off by these developers. i hate having to dish out 60 dollars for unfinished games and then have to pay 15+ for DLC....

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Honestly some games can drag and some can pass by. I don't think that games should become shorter, that's counterproductive. But hey, it seems like the majority of the thread is with me on this.

And gaming isn't very expensive for a console gamer. PC is where the money is thrown down -- Serious PC gaming that is. I can work two days at my minimum-wage job and have enough for a new release. Hell, I just pre-ordered the Love is Dead edition of Catherine and bought two $50 concert tickets as well as admissions and a hotel room for Natsucon. It might be expensive if you're living off of an allowance, but I'm honestly surprised it hasn't risen more with inflation.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Yet no mention about the dozens of hours people spend online in games like CoD or Halo.

Let's put aside the fact that most gamers are asinine and probably hardly think at all. I think part of the problem stems from the fact that video games are becoming more "movie-like", which might be fine for some games but when the top publishers and developers are pushing for more "cinematic" games to be produced -- it becomes a problem. If I were to want a cinematic experience, my first choice certainly would not be video games.

Video games are going to be continued looked upon as they are now if developers continue telling stories the way movies do. It's only going to get worse if they continue in the direction they're heading.

No one watches a movie for 10 hours which is why people joke about MGS being a movie. The way it presents the story and it's themes is something that can be done by movies (excluding MGS2). This is pretty much the reason why games like Mass Effect with it's C&C have become popular among console gamers.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
i want games that are long. hell I'd love one that takes me 100+ hours. i think any game that's under ten hours should not be sold at retail price.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Games today honestly feel shorter than the older games to me. But to be honest I'd like longer games. I think there is eventually a limit to how long a game should be but I don't think we've reached that point yet at all.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I like long games, but I don't want to get a game that's too long. I need a good story, one that's fleshed out, but not milked, and I need good gameplay.

10 hours is too short. One example would be Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2. Fun game, quite good gameplay, but then after just over 8 hours of play, I beat the game. There were only, what, 2 boss battles in the whole game? Sure, the story was good, I admit, but when I played for 2 sittings, and then it was "Oh, look, you're finally fighting Vader" I was pissed. And, Vader was way too easy. What happened to challenging bosses? For this game, while the story and gameplay were both good, they were both held back too much because of a lack of content.

Now, another example can be Re:coded. Most can agree, out of the Days-BBS-Coded Trilogy, it was the most fun gameplay-wise. If you ignored the story, that is. And, well, with this being the KH series, you can't ignore the story, and grow a biased view on the game's whole. So, it was dragged down. It wasn't 'till after when you beat the story and you were able to only focus on the extra content that a lot of people were really able to have fun. For this one, it had amazing gameplay and content, but it was held back by a lacking story.

I can't think of a game really were the gameplay dragged down on the story (except maybe Days), but I'm sure there are a lot of them.

The developers really just need to stop being so cinematic with their stories, and just try to make the stories interesting. But, before that, they need to make sure the gameplay is solid, seems fresh the whole time, and has lots of extra content.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
i think most of you have bad ideas about what makes a game worth your money

would you rather play a 15-hour game that's fun all the way or a 50 hour game where only a third of it is fun?

if a game is good enough, you'll want to play it again and again. that's more than your money's worth there.

metrifyx

I have to agree with Wehrmacht. I find the length of a game irrelevant as long as the game is good. I'll clock many more hours on a short, good game than a monotonous game. For example, SSX Tricky (bahahaha when have i not brought this game up in gamming discussion) is a fairly short game, and yet I'm still playing it after a decade. I don't think that the focus should be the time it takes to play a game. Rather, the focus should be making a game timeless.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
the longer the game, the better as long as it's long for good reasons and not just because the developers want to make a big game and fill it with shit. Sometimes I don't mind if the games are really short like R&C because there's so manny extras to do. One game that I thought was way to short though was Star Wars TFU 2, I should have waited and bought it used

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
i think most of you have bad ideas about what makes a game worth your money

would you rather play a 15-hour game that's fun all the way or a 50 hour game where only a third of it is fun?

if a game is good enough, you'll want to play it again and again. that's more than your money's worth there.

But it's not as if length doesn't matter either. There has to be some sort of balance. If a game is really short, but really fun, sure, I'll buy it and play it. But, I'd rather a game be long and fun the whole time.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Honestly it sounds like you guys are saying if the game isn't perfect, it isn't worth your money.

I don't want a long game that isn't any fun. Yeah, I'd like a long, fun, amazing game. But a short REALLY FUN game is good too. They're different.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Games aren't getting too long.

Peoples' average attention span is getting shorter.

Blame the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back