• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Are there any DTDVD sequels you like?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImVentus

Awards
I'm sure somehow anyone have stumbled upon some of Disney's sequels, midquels and etc somehow. Whether it be childhood, critiquing or Disney collection. Most of the time a bad reputation run around these films due to the fact that they were produced on a much lower budget, rushed, or didn't have the same team that worked on the theatrical releases by the Disney.

However, despite many of their films were received with negativity, it really wasn't the animators or artists fault that the films turned out the way they did. Since they were instructed and given very stressful time constraints, and most of the time did try to make it look appealing for the viewer (outside of a saturday cartoon). Over time, the art and animation got better for the studios that made these films. The writing was always on the edge and felt more like a re-tread of the previous features with exception of The Tigger Movie, The Lion King 2, Bambi ll, MDG The Three Musketeers to name a few.
but enough of the history of these films and let's start with one simple question.
Is there any DTDVD from Disney that you like? If there is, you're more than welcome to share.

There's an exception of 3 that I consider above good, and some that I always include in my own take on the Disney Canon.
They are, Pooh's Most Grand Adventure :The Search For Christoper Robin: The Lion King 2 & The Tigger Movie.

The first pick is because I feel that the film holds a intriguing premise, powerful moral and it's so different from what one can expect for Winnie The Pooh. The art style and overall animation is appealing and charming enough. If you heard this quote before, then you might find the connection.
"You're Braver than you believe. Stronger than you seem & Smarter than you think"

The 2nd pick was mostly influenced by nostalgia but at the same time it also did something right by introducing a new villain and explore further into Simba's future. The art & animation is not ... too far away from being reminiscent to the previous film. It's still one of the better looking from the early days of DTDVD. Also if you were a kid and grew up with this film it would behold some happy memories.

The 3rd pick was made for many reasons. This film was released theatrically and looked even like it could be considered for a bigger budget. The saving grace is the story itself. A mature and fun tale of adoption, sense of belonging and coming of age. The relationship between Tigger & Roo is beyond charming and even the side characters are given roles that move the plot forward. It can't be said enough how stunning this film looks to be considered a DTDVD film. The style reminds that of a blend with the 1977 feature mashed-up with 1960's 101 Dalmatians.

With honourable mentions I also did enjoy these films: Scamp's Adventure, Return To Neverland, Bambi ll. I always knew that the art was looking really good in Scamp, even to this day the art is really impressive. Return To Neverland I found more investing than the 1953 feature (that's just me though). I appreciated that this Peter was more tolerable. Bambi ll had some stunning visuals and pretty interesting bond between the leads, but it was also a little too cutesy.

Last edited:
Awards
I'm pretty easily pleased so I wouldn't count myself, haha. But I really like Mulan II. I thought it was great that the guys were able to find love and the sense of Mulan and Shang fighting brought a sense that yeah, couples fight(even though it was Mushu's fault). I really liked the Little Mermaid sequels, though it's been forever since I've seen them. And the Cinderella 3, I think, where the evil stepmother gets a hold on the fairy godmother's wand and changes reality. Y'all are probably going to hate me, but like I said, I'm easy to please. :)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Scamp's Adventure was one of my favorite cartoon films as a kid. I never liked Lady and the Tramp for whatever reason, but I watched the sequel all the time; I think it had to do with it being brighter and more adventurous. The third Aladdin film was also a favorite of mine, but I've cooled on that as there are just too many overtly racist elements in those movies souring the nostalgia.

I'm not sure I could tell one Winnie the Pooh movie from another, but put any of them on and I'm reasonably confident I'd be happy to sit through it.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Scamp's Adventure was one of my favorite cartoon films as a kid. I never liked Lady and the Tramp for whatever reason, but I watched the sequel all the time; I think it had to do with it being brighter and more adventurous. The third Aladdin film was also a favorite of mine, but I've cooled on that as there are just too many overtly racist elements in those movies souring the nostalgia.

I'm not sure I could tell one Winnie the Pooh movie from another, but put any of them on and I'm reasonably confident I'd be happy to sit through it.

Racist elements in the Aladdin films? Could you elaborate?

ImVentus

Awards
I'm pretty easily pleased so I wouldn't count myself, haha. But I really like Mulan II. I thought it was great that the guys were able to find love and the sense of Mulan and Shang fighting brought a sense that yeah, couples fight(even though it was Mushu's fault). I really liked the Little Mermaid sequels, though it's been forever since I've seen them. And the Cinderella 3, I think, where the evil stepmother gets a hold on the fairy godmother's wand and changes reality. Y'all are probably going to hate me, but like I said, I'm easy to please. :)

Mulan ll did have some charming moments with the soldiers interacting with the princesses. There was also one scene in particular near the end that looked identical to the theatrical film. Cinderella 3 was pretty entertaining but at the same time felt very disconnected to the 1950 feature film. I did watch TLM2 a lot and despite it being a obvious re-tread of the first I still liked it. Guess it's probably only me
(but I really liked Morgana with Undertow) Not very threatening, but still a lot of fun to watch.

I still find some joy in watching some of these though.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I did watch TLM2 a lot and despite it being a obvious re-tread of the first I still liked it. Guess it's probably only me
(but I really liked Morgana with Undertow) Not very threatening, but still a lot of fun to watch.
Definitely not just you. My younger sister watched TLM2 every single day, multiple times a day, for something like a year (or what felt like it, anyway). She did the same thing with The Lion King haha. There was a time when I could recite every line in either of those movies by heart just because they were always playing in our living room.

ImVentus

Awards
Definitely not just you. My younger sister watched TLM2 every single day, multiple times a day, for something like a year (or what felt like it, anyway). She did the same thing with The Lion King haha. There was a time when I could recite every line in either of those movies by heart just because they were always playing in our living room.

Hehe, I had the same thing going for TLK. I would memorize all the lines from Simba back then and even mimic his expressions. Just thinking back to it, brings back so many sweet memories.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I liked the sequels to Bambi, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Winnie the Pooh. Ariel's Beginning and Cinderella III: Twist in Time were decent. TLM2: Return to the Sea was pretty much trash, but I still watch it just to hear Pat Carroll's dialogue delivery sometimes, lol. The ice castle climax was pretty damn awesome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back