• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Are the side games vital to understanding the full KH plot?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
you said "everyone".
not all fans of these games looks up info on it and what not. some people just play it as they come.

The keyword is "full".
And there isn't really any way to misconstrue what the "KH plot is". It's the plot of all the games. That's the full KH plot. The full story. And every game in this series contributes to that full storyline, which means, if you're looking to understand the "full" KH Plot, every game is a vital one.
1)everyone, wouldn't play BBS and then start questioning who that is. a first time player who unlocks the secret ending will know that isn't the first game, so no one in that category would go "who the heck is that!?" the ones who play it as they go, still are aware of her existence, and i doubt someone who does, will know nothing of xion.

as for keyworrd full, i doubt the opening post meant literally "full" otherwise, it would've been a stupid question

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
as for keyworrd full, i doubt the opening post meant literally "full" otherwise, it would've been a stupid question

That is correct. What I meant by 'full', which in hindsight now appears to have been a poor choice of word, is the plot of the main games. In other words: would I be able to play through KH1 and KH2 with the same level of understanding of plot elements without having played the side games?

But now that that question has been answered...

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
Vida, you may wish to get CoM (or the remake, there are differences, but you can look that up after you play one or the other), since Reverse/Rebirth is in that, and those games don't just give information on the plot, but also the concepts in the series. Days, IMHO, is pointless to play. We learn why Roxas left the Organization in KH2. Don't waste your money, because Days retcons Roxas' backstory. I hear Re:Coded is good, and it ties the events of BbS to the future games. Birth by Sleep is not a side game; it is Kingdom Hearts 0. It's kind of like a prologue: you don't need to read it to understand chapter one and the main character of the book, but it is relevant to the book.

I think that's it for the side games...:

Chain of Memories
Days
Re:Coded

KH:3D is not even out yet, so~

Allister Rose

French Lover
That is correct. What I meant by 'full', which in hindsight now appears to have been a poor choice of word, is the plot of the main games. In other words: would I be able to play through KH1 and KH2 with the same level of understanding of plot elements without having played the side games?

But now that that question has been answered...
the only one i tihnk is some-what vital is COM, days not so much. and i sue to think coded was until i saw BBS secret ending

coded just tells us whats in the letter.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
the only one i tihnk is some-what vital is COM, days not so much. and i sue to think coded was until i saw BBS secret ending

Coded does a lot more than that. You must be looking in the wrong spots.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

No, Coded is how Mickey, and therefore everyone else knows that Ven is inside Sora and needs saving. Without that, there's no way to connect the past events of BBS to the present timeline, since everyone forgot.

Xammag

CoM is crucial to the story. You won't know much of anything if you don't know Castle Oblivion and will be lost when a lot of people start bringing up certain places in BBS.

Also, BBS is KH:O. A prequel. Not a side story. KH 0,1, and 2. Look at it that way. I don't really like CoM being called a side story either because it is needed to understand anything about KH2 and when it starts to merge in theories/details with BBS.

mattdyer0

I would definitely say to buy re:CoM. It's my second favorite KH game, right behind BBS, actually. The card system does take around an hour to get used to, but there are some seriously cool moves you can pull off by combining cards (sleights). Sora's story will take you a good 20-25 hours to complete also. Plus, playing as Riku is just...awesome :) His story is about half the length of Sora's. So yeah, you'll definitely get your money's worth, and it'll fill in the gaps between KH1 and 2.

Allister Rose

French Lover
No, Coded is how Mickey, and therefore everyone else knows that Ven is inside Sora and needs saving. Without that, there's no way to connect the past events of BBS to the present timeline, since everyone forgot.
not exactly, BBS summed it up quite nicely.

Coded ties in the events of BbS to the current storyline, and makes BbS not pointless.

Spoiler'd just in case... :/
i didn't say BBS was pointless, i said coded wasn't so necessary.

Allister Rose

French Lover
well i tihnk so....after watching coded and BBS..... the only thing it didn't explain was how mickey got the info to put in a letter, but still, thats just something small, sora summed up most of what the letter said in BBS secret ending. and of course we get to know about riku's and kairi's pain in kh1, and roxas's andnamine's. but since BBS secre ending hinted it as TAV, RAX, and namine said sora, we already get the idea.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
well i tihnk so....after watching coded and BBS..... the only thing it didn't explain was how mickey got the info to put in a letter, but still, thats just something small, sora summed up most of what the letter said in BBS secret ending. and of course we get to know about riku's and kairi's pain in kh1, and roxas's andnamine's. but since BBS secre ending hinted it as TAV, RAX, and namine said sora, we already get the idea.
Yeah, you clearly misunderstood what goldpanner was pointing out. Coded was all about connecting BBS to the present for both us, AND THE CHARACTERS. Without Coded, Mickey WOULDN'T know about TAV, or that they needed saving, which is why Sora then wouldn't. That's the whole point. That's what makes it so necessary. It's about getting the characters to know this. The BBS Secret Ending does not do that.

You guys keep thinking only about the reveals, and not about what it takes to get there. That's why so many of you think Coded is a waste, when it truly isn't.

Allister Rose

French Lover
You guys keep thinking only about the reveals, and not about what it takes to get there. That's why so many of you think Coded is a waste, when it truly isn't.

yeah, that's the point. sure in-game's story it is important for it to exist, but not completely necessary to play the game. i'm not saying coded is a waste, but it isn't 100% necessary to understand everything you need.

Honip Vale

I like to say there are no side games. We have BBS as 0, CoM as 1.5, and Days as 2-i. Yes, days is an imaginary number. But that's just because it takes place during 1, 1.5, and a SMAL portion of 2.

Allister Rose

French Lover
I like to say there are no side games. We have BBS as 0, CoM as 1.5, and Days as 2-i. Yes, days is an imaginary number. But that's just because it takes place during 1, 1.5, and a SMAL portion of 2.
depends....even nomura has mentioned a difference in marketing when it comes to main games...IMO anything that's on sony is a main gae, and everything on nintendo is side

Honip Vale

Yeah, birth got advertised the most of all of them, I think, with the re-order bonuses, the Cutouts in stores, I think I even saw something about getting a bundle with a BBS themed PSP? Oh, and also, that would make Days the only side game,what with the Re: games. Which makes sense. CoM is every bit as vital to understanding the plot as the rest of them, and Coded is supposedly pretty important too, right?

Allister Rose

French Lover
Yeah, birth got advertised the most of all of them, I think, with the re-order bonuses, the Cutouts in stores, I think I even saw something about getting a bundle with a BBS themed PSP? Oh, and also, that would make Days the only side game,what with the Re: games. Which makes sense. CoM is every bit as vital to understanding the plot as the rest of them, and Coded is supposedly pretty important too, right?

IMO i tihnk it's important, but it merely answers the mystery, doesn't finish a chapter, so it just gives some background. i wouldn't call it vital, but it is important

Allister Rose

French Lover
The only one that isn't VITAL is days everything else pretty much is :/

that depends.....Coded IMO isn't so vital...because BBS secret ending pretty much ended with the same implications only without reading the letter (which didn't reveal too much than what sora said after BBS secret ending

it's important, but not vital.....since i'm sure the next kh title will give some insight on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back