• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Are the side games vital to understanding the full KH plot?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
the only sidegame I wouldn't consider neccerarly (for now atleast) is days

for those who don't agree
- It's impossible to know the full plot so adding a one or 2 details doesn't matter, we didn't need to know anything about that before, it's just a story of it's own

Kurenai

I mean, the whole concept of Organization XIII just flew over my head then. Am I the only one who felt this? Or did the rest of you know immediately what was going on, having played the side games as well?
Organization XIII was first introduced in CoM and the beginning of KHII pretty much picks up from the ending of CoM, and I knew what was going on already when I started playing II, so, if you want a better understanding on things that happened in KHII, then you should def. play CoM, it seems pretty crucial to the main series imo.

luna1017

Trying to reach the Second Star to the Right.
I think the only side game that is vital to understanding KH is COM. I remember when I was watching someone who didn't play COM play KH2, she didn't understand how and why Sora and friends were sleeping in those pods and she didn't know who Namine was. In my opinion, Days isn't very important to the KH plot. It just tells you why Roxas left the Organization(which isn't very important to the rest of KH) and shows the Organization XIII members' personalities. More or less trivial information.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I think the only side game that is vital to understanding KH is COM. I remember when I was watching someone who didn't play COM play KH2, she didn't understand how and why Sora and friends were sleeping in those pods and she didn't know who Namine was. In my opinion, Days isn't very important to the KH plot. It just tells you why Roxas left the Organization(which isn't very important to the rest of KH) and shows the Organization XIII members' personalities. More or less trivial information.
and then when people watch the BBS secret ending, those who didn't play Days will be like "who the heck is that black haired girl? I don't understand!".

Last edited:

Allister Rose

French Lover
and then when people watch the BBS secret ending, those who didn't play Days will be like "who the heck is that black haired girl? I don't understand!".
i doubt that will have a major affect. it's like all the members in COM were mentioned in the journal, so we wouldn't be so confused.

i'm sure Xion will get some mention in the journal

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
You'll want to play KH, RE:COM(cuz it has a bit more than the GBA game),KH2, Days, BBS(tho you dont have a PSP), RE:CODED, KH3D(3DS).

we're approaching 7 games, ppl.

Dowhax

Bronze Member
If your going to play it in kh timeline chronological order, then: KH1, 358/2 days (before Axel goes to C.O. the first time), Khre:com, then finish 358/2 days, and finally kh2.

Then of course when bbs comes out, it should be played before kh1.

A

Artorius Rex

This is perhaps one of the few video game series that does require a full understanding of what is going on in order not to be confused and that I believe requires playing the main numbered-titled ones and the bridge games like Chains of Memories or Birth by Sleep. They have just as much importance if not more importance in certain aspects such as for example CoM especially. Cough.

Allister Rose

French Lover
birth by sleep isn't much of a bridge game, it is highly considered a number game from nomura. it's basically kh 0.

the bridge games it depends on the consistency of the consoles IMO. this includes the remakes

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

AND THEY WILL BE BETTER OFF NOT KNOWING.

I wish I didn't know. Bahh

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com
I wouldn't consider Birth by Sleep to be a side game as it is waaaaaay too important to even be one. Heck, it is the longest Kingdom Hearts game to date (on average, 45 hours of game-play). It has so many plot twists and plot tie-ups that neatly connect all the games together, and it sets up the major events for the upcoming Kingdom Hearts III. Basically, half of KH3's plot will be based on whatever happened over eleven years ago in Birth by Sleep.

Chain of Memories is nice, but not necessarily needed to play unless you wanted to fully understand the motivations of all the characters in Kingdom Hearts II. It helped me better understand Namine's and Roxas's relationship with each other. At first, it seemed superficial until I played Chain of Memories (because Namine states something about a promise, or something like that. Can't remember; it's been a while since I've played CoM).

358/2 Days is alright if you don't mind the repetitive game-play and slow movement of plot. The only important thing you need to know for Days is Roxas's intent for leaving the Organization, Axel and Saix's relationship with each other and the plot they hatched, Xigbar's sight of Ventus, and Xigbar's and Xemnas's hidden motivations.

Allister Rose

French Lover
plus Xion, was like a one-time thing. similar to namine, she is a mystery in COM, and now we know what she is in kh2. i bet XIon will be explained in-game somewhere in the journal.

and everyone already knows who xion is even before days came out.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Not really.

Honestly, the question is "are the side games vital to understanding the full KH plot" and, in that case, they most certainly are.
kh fans would know who xion is just by looking up info, and information confirmed in game magazines....since she's in a midquel, it's not that necessary to know. and like i said, the journal can clear up anything about her. and one scene of a random character isn't going to keep you completely guessing.

a casual gamer who has no idea what 358/2 days and plays probably will...but other than that, a casual to hardcore fans already know about xion's existence. so they're not going to ask "who the heck is that!?!??"

full KH plot really depends on what you think the KH plot is. personally, nothing new was introduced in days, it only further hinted on the mysteries we already knew and answers we already knew but didn't have a confirmation. so i wouldn't say they were "vital", but they are important in some way...

IMO it has to do with the console trend

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
kh fans would know who xion is just by looking up info
you said "everyone".
not all fans of these games looks up info on it and what not. some people just play it as they come.

full KH plot really depends on what you think the KH plot is.
The keyword is "full".
And there isn't really any way to misconstrue what the "KH plot is". It's the plot of all the games. That's the full KH plot. The full story. And every game in this series contributes to that full storyline, which means, if you're looking to understand the "full" KH Plot, every game is a vital one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back