• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

are the final fantasy games actually good

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraTheHedgehog

i've never played a final fantasy game before but i kind of want to
are they any good because my brother plays some of them but i never played them myself

I know that charavters from kingdom hearts are in them so thats cool ^3^

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
That's a bit of a loaded question. The FF series is twenty or so years old and there are a butt load of games. Since the series is more of a cantena almost every game in the series is significantly different in gameplay, story, or both. e.g. FFVI has a totally different story, gameplay, and set of characters than FFXIII so they're vastly different experiences.

It really depends on what you're looking for. There are too many games in the series that vary from one another to give a straight answer but it's a generally well liked.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Please don't double post, you can use the edit button on your post if you need to fix something.

I'm not all that savvy on the FF series only playing a few games, but like I said, it depends on what you're looking for. There isn't really one game that can be recommended to everyone because the games are so different from one another. Like, FFVIII and X are more romance orientated, VII and XIII lean more on the sci-fi side, I and II are really simplistic and old school, XII deals a lot in politics, etc. Then there's all the spin-offs.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd look at what game your favorite KH FF characters are from.
a.k.a if you like cloud, sephiroth, yufi, tifa and cid you can start with FF VII which is the most popular favorite but it all come down to preference.
You can also start with Crisis Core to PSP if you own one and want something less turned based.

Lion is from VIII but FF VI and IV is also really good (Vivi is from VI) and many like IX.
take your pick

Those are the popular old games, if you want something newer you can try XIII or X first but every game is very different

Personally I only ever play FF for the story but I guess that will change when XV comes out.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
My suggestion is to play:

• IV (PSP)
  • VII (PS1)
  • X HD (PS3)

I feel like these will give you an idea of what to expect from the other games (more or less). They're the most accessible (and in my opinion the best) games in each of the series' major styles. If you like IV, you will want to try V and VI. If you like VII, you will probably also like VIII and IX. If you like X, you might also like XII and XIII. I wouldn't bother with I-III as they are ancient relics that mostly serve to remind people where it all began. Also, XI and XIV are only for people who like MMORPG's, obviously. If you do, then you will probably like these as well.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Lion is from VIII but FF VI and IV is also really good (Vivi is from VI) and many like IX.
take your pick

"That's Leon." ;p

Also Vivi is from IX. <3

Like Ruran said, they're all different enough from eachother that they vary in experiences. Everyone has their favorites. The ones with the most influence in KH are VII, VIII and X. Imho those are all pretty good games, so I'd recommend starting with any of those three.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I really liked FFVI, so I recommend that one. Setzer in KH2 is from that game, but that's as far as cameos between them have gone. The story is superb and the vast array of playable characters are pretty good. I also recommend VII if you prefer a more scifi setting rather than fantasy.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
honestly I've played all the main series games besides XI and XIV and beaten them so they all have their own charms... but VI and IX are the ideal final fantasy games I believe to start off with... IX is pretty solid, bringing a lot of the main themes of final fantasy together... VI is just as good for immersing you into the game by having you grow emotionally attached to the characters...

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It really depends on what sort of style you like in your games. Many of them have a fairy tale aspect [see many of the originals, and IX], but many also have sci-fi fantasy hybrid themes [VI, VII, VIII, X, X-2, etc.] and there's also the question of whether or not you like stories centered around the characters rather than the world, or the world controlling the characters, etc. Final Fantasy games are, for the most part, different from each other for different reasons, not just graphically, or even story based, but mechanics change, summons are different, team set ups, strategy, etc. Also, while I haven't played much of Tactics, I'm kind of surprised nobody's mentioned it... Like really?

I believe X is a great introduction to the series, along with IV, VI, VII, XII, and of course my absolute favorite, IX. IX is great because it encorporates all of the themes and references and molds it all into a lovable game with great characters and atmosphere, the soundtrack is [in my probably biased opinion,] the best.

But, regardless of my obsession of IX, X was my first FF game and honestly, I'm glad that I started with that one.

X is having its HD remake coming out soon, IV is on the DS and is pretty great but there are multiple versions too, VI idek I know its original is out there, VII is downloadable on PSN, XII is still on PS2 and I'm surprised there hasn't been an HD remake in the works for that considering but eh. IX is also on PSN.

This post is really disorganized and babbly but seriously IX is the best I'm out

Last edited:

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
"That's Leon." ;p

Also Vivi is from IX. <3

Like Ruran said, they're all different enough from eachother that they vary in experiences. Everyone has their favorites. The ones with the most influence in KH are VII, VIII and X. Imho those are all pretty good games, so I'd recommend starting with any of those three.

whoops, my bad. I have no idea how I could mix up Vivi

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
VII was my first and im glad of it. The XIII series is my second and i like them too. Also beat crisis core.

Played but never beat III(DS)VIII, IX, X, XII, DoC, Dissidia, and Theatrhythm. Purchased but have yet to play I, V, VI, Tactics.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
In my opinion the series is a little overrated. The best one is the first. It's basically the reason the Final Fantasy series got so big, because it created the JRPG genre. If you play the psp remake and understand that it one of the first of its kind you'll realize why it was such a hit, and why the rest of the series is held in such high regard. I've also played 4 and 12 and they're not as good.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Whether the games are good or not is really based on your own opinion.
Roronoa Zoro above me doesn't think XII is all that good while I do, for example.
The only Final Fantasy games I've played so far are X, X-2, Crisis Core, Theatrhythm, Dissidia(1st one), I(PSP) XII, and will be playing VII when I'm done with XII. I've enjoyed them all. If you want to get into Final Fantasy, I suggest either the first one or X, and if you're not sure if you do want to get into FF then get them used so you don't spend to much on something you may not like.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The best one is the first. It's basically the reason the Final Fantasy series got so big, because it created the JRPG genre.
I don't know about this but okay sure you can have your dated RPG that honestly just boosted the popularity, I don't know about creating it, I'd probably just say that it brought JRPGs to light in the west. There were other RPG games before FF came out, and FF didn't meet with IMMEDIATE success either iirc...

I'm not saying the first isn't good, and it certainly shows why it was popular, but playing it now a days is difficult for some, especially someone getting into the series. Now, the story doesn't really hold up to the test of time. Now it seems more cliche and kind of boring. II had more of a story, characters, etc. It was their first one with an actual story, character development, etcetcetc.

Last edited:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I don't know about this but okay sure you can have your dated RPG that honestly just boosted the popularity, I don't know about creating it, I'd probably just say that it brought JRPGs to light in the west. There were other RPG games before FF came out, and FF didn't meet with IMMEDIATE success either iirc...

I'm not saying the first isn't good, and it certainly shows why it was popular, but playing it now a days is difficult for some, especially someone getting into the series. Now, the story doesn't really hold up to the test of time. Now it seems more cliche and kind of boring. II had more of a story, characters, etc. It was their first one with an actual story, character development, etcetcetc.

There was a story in the first one?
/jk

I get where you're coming from, but I do still enjoy the first. I'm not saying it's the best (you really can't make that claim with a sane mind), but it's still a pretty solid experience. Just hard enough without being unforgiving (depending on the version you play). Though truth to be told, it's probably better to stick to the later versions, mainly because of those bonus dungeons and they being a whole lot more forgiving when it comes to saving your game. Saving on the older games was pretty much a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back