• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Applying for College

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

How many colleges did you apply to?

• I never applied to college.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I only applied to one college.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • I applied to more than one college.

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Got accepted into UT on Thursday. SO FUCKING HAPPY. I'm not quite expecting to get into Rice (though it would be awesome if I did), so it's nice to have a solid fallback.

Ahh, time to relax.

Congrats (even though I HATE UT lol long story). Don't give up on Rice, I'm rooting for ya. In the process of working my transfer application there. Waiting on my divorced parents to settle some tax issues so I can do my FAFSA.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
As soon as you know where you want to go, start looking up the degree plan NOW and look at the required classes. Investigate their workload, whether they're available in the Spring or Fall or both, and start to plan a balanced degree curriculum, otherwise you might get freaked over your freshman year accidentally taking classes you didn't need to, or taking more than you can handle or need, etc. Counselors will not do this for you, it's no one's responsibility but your own to graduate.

Here's the Electrical Engineering flowchart for UT:
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/files/forms/undergraduate/2010-2012-prereq-flowchart.pdf

The catalog:
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/files/forms/undergraduate/2010-2012-Catalog-Guide.pdf

And their suggested arrangement of courses (don't use this as a rule, they often give an unrealistic courseload for someone adjusting to engineering and trying to keep their grades up....but actually, yours doesn't look too bad....the biomedical engineering curriculum at A&M averages at around 17-18 hours a semester 8<):
UT ECE | Undergraduate: 2010-2012 Catalog 4-Year Plan

Don't feel ashamed of taking less courses if it means saving your grades and graduating a little slower. You can always do summer school/minimesters, and engineers here at A&M hardly ever graduate in 4 years anyway.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
lol. every engineering is hard. My friend switched from Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineer and he's like "well shit. that didn't help me at all". I think out of my friends, the one having the easiest time is Chemical Engineering, but Chemistry is pretty much a stagnant field in terms of job growth, so lol to that.

But I mean really. going into "Enigneering' is, legitimately, probably one of the only degrees where, no shits about it, you will have a freaking job when you graduate. So I suppose the work is worth it.

the biomedical engineering curriculum at A&M averages at around 17-18 hours a semester 8<):
UT ECE | Undergraduate: 2010-2012 Catalog 4-Year Plan.

It's so weird looking at degree outlines at other colleges, because Drexel is on Quarters :v I'm looking at this and I'm like "lol why are there only 8 terms, how are you going to get anything done"

Freshman year for Engineering Students has, on average, an 18 credit minimum per Quarter (10 weeks). Pretty much every Engineering major who survives Freshman year has completed 54-60 credits.

http://www.biomed.drexel.edu/new04/...eckOffSheetsVI/CkOffBiomechHumPerfClass12.pdf

This isn't like a dickwaving contest or anything, it's just like legitimately weird to me. I don't know what i'd do with myself on Semesters. Probably smoke more pot

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Yeah I don't know what a trimester schedule would be like. I will have about 56 hours of credit by the end of my freshman year, however, because of all the extra coursework I've done (summer school and minimesters)

For comparison our biomedical engineering curriculum looks similar except it's on a semester schedule instead of a trimester schedule.

An example freshman year would be:
ENG 111 (Engineering I)
MATH 151 (Engineering Calculus I)
PHYS 218 (Advanced Physics - Mechanics)
ENGL 104 (English Composition)
CHEM 107/117 (Engineering Chemistry)

ENG 112 (Engineering II)
MATH 152 (Engineering Calculus II)
PHYS 208 (Advanced Physics - Electricity and Optics)
HIST 105 (American History I)
CHEM 102/112 (General Chemistry II)

That's pretty unrealistic though considering PHYS 208, CHEM 107 and the MATH 150s classes are so difficult compared to everything else. The average on the first test for PHYS 208 is like a 30....:<

But DAMN, 200 credit hours upon graduation? That's crazy. Ours is like 145-150. And even that's ridiculous compared to the 120 average of most other degrees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back