• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Apple: iPad 2, OS X Lion (it's gonna be a good year)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
In August, I bought a 13" Macbook Pro for school, and the thing has completely changed my way of thinking about how a computer should feel and work. On top of that it restored the faith (or, maybe, created it) that I had in Apple from a consumer's stand point. I'd always heard that Apple was the devil, releasing new products three months after their old products' release, and how the computers were for hipsters and old people.

This year, though, seems to be a good year to be in the market for Apple products. There's a couple of reasons that are concrete for that: the iPad, and OS X Lion. There are also some things that we know next to nothing about, including iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 (the first of which is expected to be cleared up on the 2nd).

Why the iPad? Because the new generation is expected to be launched in April, following the announcement on March 2nd. There are several rumors that are simply begging to be made official, including a thinner-and-lighter body and the presence of at least one camera for FaceTime. There will most likely be the introduction of the A5 and a bump to 512MB of RAM.

Wait, 512? But the Android tablets have 1GB! Well, that's great, but when have you ever used an iPad (even briefly) and thought, 'hey, this is so slow!'. You don't. Games like Infinity Blade and Dead Space are capable with only 256, I can only imagine what can happen with 512.

So, it's good that there will be a refresh. But if it doesn't turn out to be quite worth any extra money (I very, very highly doubt that the price will be raised) there's always the first generation, which has proven more than capable and will be even cheaper. [Note: we can get into reasons why or why not I or anyone else would want an iPad later]

How about OS X Lion? Lion appears to not only offer a great UI-overhaul, but a buttload of new features and tweaks that greatly affect performance. (If there are any developers, get your asses over here and give impressions on the dev build that was just released) Assuming that my MBP will actually be able to run the OS (which it will; they can't afford to exclude one-year-old products on something like this) this means that the refresh to MBPs unveiled yesterday will be fairly unnecessary, and that a great OS will be even better.

[reserved for iOS 5 and iPhone 5]

So what do you think? Is anyone looking forward to the year for Apple, or at least for the competition that they've created within the tablet space? Still think that an Android tablet is the way to go? Any and all discussion can be taken down here, provided it's not just a few troll comments.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
I don't pay attention to what Apple does because I like to buy products that are good.

O

Oberon

zingggggggg

Anyway, I'd like to see if Apple is releasing a new Macbook Pro this year. I was going to buy one, but I figure at this point I should just wait until a newer one is out (not that it matters, though; the products are usually pretty long lasting).

Also I want to see the new iPhone. I'll be able to upgrade phones this summer so it'd be epic to have one. B]

Awards
releasing new products three months after their old products' release, and how the computers were for hipsters and old people.

They do, and they are. You're allowed to like the products (and they are fantastic for what they're intended for) but accept the good along with the bad.

I'm still using an iPhone 3GS for exactly this reason -- I want to know when the iPhone 5 is coming out so that I can get my hands on it as soon as possible. In the meantime, I just didn't see any sense in getting an iPhone 4 when it seemed inevitably that it would be obsolete in less than a year. Personally I'd take hardware upgrades that come too soon rather than not soon enough any day, but it is a big annoyance for the consumer.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If the iPhone 5 is nice enough, I'll trade my 4 in for it.

And I have OS X Snow Leopard and while OS X Lion looks fantastic, I'm sure I wouldn't need everything coming from Lion. I'd still be using the same programs and they would run perfectly with either OS.

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
I'm not feeling Lion right now, is like their trying to blend OSX with iOS. Adding useless features like launch pad, I have the dock for short cuts and personal organization. I do like the full screen app addition.

I'll only care about the iPad once it can run Photoshop,Flash,Illustrator,Autodesk and thats not happening anytime soon.

I just found out there putting the iOS scrollbars in lion. but luckily its optional.

Last edited:

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Personally, I like the idea of having the scrollbars disappear.

Sam: iPhones are released in June/July and iPods are released in September (as well as Apple TV refreshes). From the look of things the iPad is also on track for a yearly refresh cycle, but there are rumors of one coming out in September to equalize the cycle with iPods and increase holiday sales. You know that your product is top-of-the-line for a year, which is something that can't be said of any other mobile OS (or mp3 player) because of the different manufacturers.

Not that I'm saying Apple products are automatically 'the best' (I am very interested in the Xoom, or at least I would be if Android 3.0 were stable) but I am saying that usually you've got much longer than three months, which is best for us (no tech remorse if you know the schedule) and for them (they need to make money).

Anyway, I'd like to see if Apple is releasing a new Macbook Pro this year. I was going to buy one, but I figure at this point I should just wait until a newer one is out (not that it matters, though; the products are usually pretty long lasting).

The Macbook Pro just saw a refresh across the board; 15 and 17 inch varieties saw a jump to quad-core CPU, they switched to AMD graphics and have Thunderbolt connectivity (which was codenamed Light Peak by Intel). 13 inch has an Intel Core i5 with integrated graphics and Thunderbolt. They also have an HD 'FaceTime' camera. Rumors place new MBP refreshes in 2012 with Liquid Metal and SSD drives, but who knows about that. If you want one, get one now, the refresh literally just took place this week.

As far as iPhones:

There are several indicators that the iPhone 5 will have a larger screen, but I don't know if I buy it quite yet. That would increase production costs and 'fragment' the board for developers, which Apple doesn't like to do (generally speaking). It also conflicts with numerous sources (WSJ, mostly) claiming that they want to make the next iPhone 'cheaper' to be competitively priced.

So don't get an iPhone; wait until June/July (probably July) and either A) the iPhone 5 will knock your socks off or B) the iPhone 4 just went down in price.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36435

Games like Infinity Blade and Dead Space are capable with only 256, I can only imagine what can happen with 512.
and they run and look like ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back