• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone else think this game ruined the uniqueness of they keyblade?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKheyblade_

it seems like anyone can just have a keyblade now. I mean it's not new knowing Kairi can wield one (which was really random when it happened in kh2 and then she never used it again) but now Lea has a keyblade? Sora no long seems like " the one chosen by the key" In the first game it was said the keyblade chooses its master (made it sound like there was only one or two) which made it sound unique like you had to be special or destined to have one, but now ever since bbs (still a good game) you can now pass down keyblades and it seems like anyone can have one.

Also I really don't like how the retcon'd the fact that nobody's can actually have hearts without the use of kingdom hearts, it kingdom of kills half plot of kh2 (exaggeration but still) yen Sid's advice about not being fooled when they act like they have emotions makes him seem less wise from this new information.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I agree to an extent that the keyblade feels less special since there's so many wielders now but I wouldn't go as far as to say it ruined it completely.
The keyblade still chooses who wields it. This fact is proven by Sora, originally the kingdom key was riku's but in Hollow Bastion the keyblade literally chose sora over it's intended wielder.
The passing of the keyblade is more of a recommendation than a guarantee which is proven by kairi. Even though she inadvertantly had a rite when she touched Aqua's keyblade in bbs kairi never got a keyblade of her own till riku lend her one in kh2.

As for the nobodies bit, it's not that they had them simply that they could grow new ones if conditions were meet. And since only Xemnas and Xigbar knew this it's only logical that Yensid didn't.
Though all that don't make them being able to grow hearts feel any less of a retcon to me either. =/

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean it's not new knowing Kairi can wield one (which was really random when it happened in kh2 and then she never used it again)

The Keyblade given to her by Riku to fight the Heartless in KH2 was not her own Keyblade. It might end up being it, but we'll have no way of knowing that until KH3. Kairi was inadvertently given a Rite of Succession by Aqua when kid!Kairi touches her Keyblade in BBS when Aqua was saving her from Unversed.

but now Lea has a keyblade?

Yes, because Lea went to Yen Sid to have him teach him how to wield one so he could help Sora.

Sora no long seems like " the one chosen by the key" In the first game it was said the keyblade chooses its master (made it sound like there was only one or two) which made it sound unique like you had to be special or destined to have one

Even in Kingdom Hearts it was always implied there was more than one Keyblade wielder out in the universe.

but now ever since bbs (still a good game) you can now pass down keyblades and it seems like anyone can have one.

Only people with a strong heart can wield a Keyblade. Being given a Rite of Succession does not mean they will be given a Keyblade. They still have to prove themselves. It just means they are more likely to get one because of it. There are still only a handful of people out in the Worlds that have Keyblades. For now we only know of the ones in this small corner of the universe, but there has never been anything that said Sora was the only wielder.

Also I really don't like how the retcon'd the fact that nobody's can actually have hearts without the use of kingdom hearts, it kingdom of kills half plot of kh2 (exaggeration but still) yen Sid's advice about not being fooled when they act like they have emotions makes him seem less wise from this new information.

I wouldn't say it was retconned. It was always somewhat hinted at that not all of them might not have been faking their emotions. Axel with him slowly feeling as if he could really feel sadness and anger, Roxas having emotions, Saix's rage and yearning for a heart...Zexion's shock over Riku's ability to see through his illusion & his fear of being finished off by Axel and Repliku. In KH2FM+, there is even a scene where Axel cries over losing Roxas. I guess to quote Sora: "You have to have a heart to cry."

It is not retcon when it is building up on an idea that was teased at.

Xemnas led them all to believe they had no emotions, and so Yen Sid was fooled by that. He's wise and clairvoyant, but even he has his limits. No one man can know everything.

Not all Nobodies grow hearts, but they definitely have the capacity to.

Odium Crop

Banned
it seems like anyone can just have a keyblade now. I mean it's not new knowing Kairi can wield one (which was really random when it happened in kh2 and then she never used it again) but now Lea has a keyblade? Sora no long seems like " the one chosen by the key" In the first game it was said the keyblade chooses its master (made it sound like there was only one or two) which made it sound unique like you had to be special or destined to have one, but now ever since bbs (still a good game) you can now pass down keyblades and it seems like anyone can have one.

I never thought that any of the characters owning Keyblades in the series made each one of them a special case, but that is probably because I have not been with the series from the beginning.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
What Spockanort said is all correct.

It was stated ever since the Ultimania of Kingdom Hearts 1 that there are multiple Keyblade Masters and that the Keyblade isn't an unique (rare, yes, but not unique) weapon at all while the "everything can have a heart" theme was hinted throughout the entire series starting with Chain of Memories.

That Yen Sid in KH2 didn't know about that only shows how effective Xehanort's, Xemnas' and Xigbar's conspiracy was.
Hints that suggested otherwise were scattered throughout CoM, Days and even KH2 itself.
This coming as surprise only shows that some fans also fell for the propaganda just like Yen Sid, Mickey and most of the other characters in-universe.
There is also quite a number of fans who never bought the "pretending to feel"-excuse.

A plot point that was foreshadowed but some people failed to notice isn't a retcon.

State

Awards
Other than the Ultimania stating that there are several Keyblade Wielders and Masters, in-game (KINGDOM HEARTS), it's stated by Triton in Atlantica that "Keyblade Wielders shouldn't meddle in other worlds' affairs", meaning that, since he achknowledges the existence of the Keyblade and its wielders, he even mentions wielderS, with this in mind, it means that, in the past, wielders have traversed through his world, meaning that, before Sora, there were others, by that point when we played the game. So yeah, since the beginning, we couldn't have assumed that Sora was the sole wielder of the Keyblade.

Light

faster than
Awards
Yes, because Lea went to Yen Sid to have him teach him how to wield one so he could help Sora.

I hate to bring back an older post, but did Yen Sid actually teach him? Because Yen Sid looks even more surprised than everyone else upon Lea's reveal.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

He looks surprised as hell to me.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Other than the Ultimania stating that there are several Keyblade Wielders and Masters, in-game (KINGDOM HEARTS), it's stated by Triton in Atlantica that "Keyblade Wielders shouldn't meddle in other worlds' affairs", meaning that, since he achknowledges the existence of the Keyblade and its wielders, he even mentions wielderS, with this in mind, it means that, in the past, wielders have traversed through his world, meaning that, before Sora, there were others, by that point when we played the game. So yeah, since the beginning, we couldn't have assumed that Sora was the sole wielder of the Keyblade.

Thank you, I didn't even remember that one. Well played. ^__^

Edit: (I'm editing very much today, lol)
I hate to bring back an older post, but did Yen Sid actually teach him? Because Yen Sid looks even more surprised than everyone else upon Lea's reveal.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

He looks surprised as hell to me.

Yen Sid (or Mickey) performed the ceremony with Lea since he requested to be a wielder. After that, Merlin and the three good fairies created a time-chamber to help speed up Lea's training to summon a Keyblade.

The reason Yen Sid is surprised is because he didn't expect Lea to whip out the blade right out of nowhere that fast (or rather, that a Keyblade would choose Lea this fast).

This exchange in-game clearly shows that Yen Sid was aware:
Mickey: Master Yen Sid. Gosh, do ya think he'll be able to do it?

Yen Sid: It's clear you cannot teach a cat to bark. But Merlin and the three
good fairies are aiding him in a place that's more...temporally flexible. My
hope is that he can at least learn to wield it. He certainly has fire, so
I suppose it depends now on how strongly it burns.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I never really picked up on any of these conversations. I have some viewing to do, I guess.

Lol, I tend to follow every cutscene very closely since many times there are hints which explain later mysteries or at least hint at them.

zspek09

Website
instagram.com
Well seeing that there was a keyblade war with over hundreds of wielders clashing in battle (as displayed by the leftover keyblades in the keyblade graveyard), it was implied in BBS that there were always many keyblade wielders, so it's not like it was a rare and unique weapon wielded by few.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Well seeing that there was a keyblade war with over hundreds of wielders clashing in battle (as displayed by the leftover keyblades in the keyblade graveyard), it was implied in BBS that there were always many keyblade wielders, so it's not like it was a rare and unique weapon wielded by few.

This is exactly what I was going to say haha xD I mean, don't get me wrong, while I wasn't so gung-ho with the idea of Lea getting a keyblade either, I definitely didn't think it was wrong for him NOT to get one. I mean, with the hundreds if not thousands of keyblade wielders that fought each other in the war, clearly the keyblade is not something that only comes around 2x a decade or something.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm kind of on the fence about how the Keyblade has been handled throughout the series. Even though it's been hinted at since the first game that other Keyblade masters did exist (if so many people are confused about this then perhaps the issue isn't so much with the fans than the way the information was presented.) I can see why people can get annoyed with there being so many Keyblade wielders around. Granted, it's still really rare when you consider that logically speaking there must be trillions of people in the universe and only a handful of those people have Keyblades, the Keyblade itself is shown as something not that hard to obtain per say, it's just hard to spread around on a mass scale. I guess this goes with how Keyblades were presented in the first game because while other wielders existing was mentioned it was never really TALKED about just...mentioned.

Between Sora and Riku fighting over the same Keyblade, Mickey getting his from another realm entirely, the KoPH being "fake", and everyone making a big deal about "THE Key" (Sora's KK mostly) it makes it sound like attaining one is both strenuous in most cases and truly only for the select few. It wasn't made clear why Riku was chosen but Sora worked his ass off throughout KH1 so it was easy to see why the KK switched sides, Mickey traversed all the way to the RoD to get one that hailed exclusively from there and although we didn't see his journey we can all imagine he had a Hell of a time in the land of the Heartless, and Ansem SoD spent nearly a decade planning and manipulating to gather the PoH and obtain the KoPH. Getting a Keyblade was a bitch.

Then in KH2 Roxas and Riku pull spare Keyblades out of their asses. I understand the plot reasons but I can see how it was jarring. Then we got BbS and were shown that a wielder with sufficient skill can pass down the ability, make it easier for others to obtain Keyblades, and Keyblades themselves can literally be given from one person to another. Perhaps the issue isn't so much that there are too many Keyblades/wielders around so much as it doesn't feel like anybody truly earns them anymore. I mean going back to Roxas, and again I understand the plot reasons, but he was literally born with the right to wield, and not one, but two Keyblades at his disposal.

Or perhaps it's also that there are just plain too many characters. We currently have thirteen protagonists, ten of which are wielders (and one who potentially has the ability), and because the narrative can't explore every character thoroughly, partially BECAUSE there are so many characters to cover, plus KH not exactly having the worlds best writers, some of the characters seem to get Keyblades just because the plot demands it. Then that's not mentioning Xehanort's Darknesses.

The thing with the Nobodies wasn't really retconned, it's just a plot twist. I don't have as much of an opinion on it but it's a plot point I don't care much about.

Zul

Awards
The keyblade graveyard was first shown in KH2's secret concept video "the gathering". The whole "sora's keyblade not being THE KEY" happened a long time ago.

I do agree that more main characters, such as Lea, having a keyblade is ruining diversity a little, same with the black coats.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
We were made aware of other Keyblades (and wielders) all the way back in KH1, it's that KH1 had a thing about "THE KEY" as if there was one that was special and the game seemed to hint that it was the KK. It can now be attributed to the X-Blade more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back