• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone else notice the graphics look better at this part?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yessir_23

Awards
The HD collection runs at 30fps for the most part, but I noticed a change during the 100 Acre Wood world in re:Chains of Memories. In the Veggie Panic mini-game, the game looks a LOT smoother than usual(60fps). I recommend judging it yourself- I really think the whole game could have benefited from the increase in fps, especially a game like Kingdom Hearts.

So was this in the PS2 release of COM? Why make these sections look better than the rest of the game?

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
The HD collection runs at 30fps for the most part, but I noticed a change during the 100 Acre Wood world in re:Chains of Memories. In the Veggie Panic mini-game, the game looks a LOT smoother than usual(60fps). I recommend judging it yourself- I really think the whole game could have benefited from the increase in fps, especially a game like Kingdom Hearts.

So was this in the PS2 release of COM? Why make these sections look better than the rest of the game?

Yes, I noticed that as well. The difference is huge actually. They probably thought that the fast action would benefit from an increase in fps and they could do it, so they did.

CoM also has huge fps problems when there were many enemies on the screen and you use magic etc. I doubt it's the PS3's fault, probably has to do with bad programming or an engine weakness.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I always found it odd that they had smoother frames of animation for that mini-game than for the rest of Chain of Memories or especially for Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. Had the entire game been able to run on that, it would have been amazing, but why they couldn't...I don't know. Maybe the disc couldn't afford it since there were two full games and a cutscene movie in there or, as already mentioned, the programming and/or engine wasn't quite up to snuff, something that's understandable considering that weren't many people working on the remaster.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Definitely not a disk issue. Blurays can fit a massive amount of data on them

Fair point. I've been so used to using previous gen systems that the disc issue kind of came to me automatically. That, and I kind of assumed that the games probably had a lot more data in them that they would take up a lot in regards to data storage. Then again, if Dissidia Duodecim can fit it's own game in addition to the original Dissidia's then I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to have the games in I.5 ReMIX run smoothly enough.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Fair point. I've been so used to using previous gen systems that the disc issue kind of came to me automatically. That, and I kind of assumed that the games probably had a lot more data in them that they would take up a lot in regards to data storage. Then again, if Dissidia Duodecim can fit it's own game in addition to the original Dissidia's then I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to have the games in I.5 ReMIX run smoothly enough.

Aside from the space issue, which is nonexistent (the collection is under 25GB actually), frame rate is a hardware/software issue, it has nothing to do with disc space.

Yessir_23

Awards
I wonder if there's any chance of 2.5 being 60fps, it would certainly look nice:biggrin:

So was the original PS2 re:CoM like this?

bazimon

Maybe, just maybe this was one of the area's that had to be 'completely remade' in the ReMix?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Maybe, just maybe this was one of the area's that had to be 'completely remade' in the ReMix?

Possible, but unlikely as this is part of Re: Chain of Memories which was mostly only upscaled for the HD.

The game they had to remake entire sections of was KH 1 Final Mix because they didn't have the source code anymore.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

It has nothing to do with the area.. or, to be more precise, not in the way you mean it. The fps and how the games handle them have to do more with how the game engine is built. The same engine is used throughout so it doesn't make sense that you'd get 60fps in one spot and 30 in another.

The most likely reason was that the mini-games were fast-paced and 60 fps is much smoother, providing a better experience overall. That, coupled with the fact that the areas in which these took place (forgive me, I can only remember Winnie sliding down a hill or something) weren't graphically intensive so there was an option to go for 60fps.

Antar

Awards
2.5 likely will not be 60fps. However, 3 could be, as many PS4 games are. It will definitely be nice if that's the case.

It better be. After watching those Kingdom Hearts videos running at 60 FPS using a cheat code, I won't expect anything less.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
To be honest, the reason they games haven't featured 60 FPS even in cutscenes is most likely because Disney characters don't typically move at that speed. Disney characters move at 24 FPS in their movies, so they look more natural in game at 30FPS. I wonder what they'll do in KHIII. If they go with 60 FPS, maybe the new Disney inspired art style will make up for the oddness in it's speed. I prefer 60 FPS for gameplay, though.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
To be honest, the reason they games haven't featured 60 FPS even in cutscenes is most likely because Disney characters don't typically move at that speed. Disney characters move at 24 FPS in their movies, so they look more natural in game at 30FPS. I wonder what they'll do in KHIII. If they go with 60 FPS, maybe the new Disney inspired art style will make up for the oddness in it's speed. I prefer 60 FPS for gameplay, though.
The frame rate of a movie has nothing to do with a game's frame rate.

Launchpad

Awards
The frame rate of a movie has nothing to do with a game's frame rate.

Um, yeah it does. Having looked at and used 60 FPS hacks, it does look odd for animated Disney characters to move at a rate that's almost 3 times as fast as you're used to them moving. It's jarring.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Um, yeah it does. Having looked at and used 60 FPS hacks, it does look odd for animated Disney characters to move at a rate that's almost 3 times as fast as you're used to them moving. It's jarring.
I've tested out playing a KH game at 60fps, and all that emulator did was make the game go 3x the speed instead of the actual 60fps so I wouldn't call emulation the best source of judgement for this.

Launchpad

Awards
I've tested out playing a KH game at 60fps, and all that emulator did was make the game go 3x the speed instead of the actual 60fps so I wouldn't call emulation the best source of judgement for this.

If you've ever seen animated films like Frozen at 48 FPS, or even regular films at that rate, you might've thought it looked odd. A lot of people feel that way. I feel that way about it. And since these characters are film characters, seeing them animated (and animated in such a Disney-esque style in game) that much faster would be odd for a lot of people.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
If you've ever seen animated films like Frozen at 48 FPS, or even regular films at that rate, you might've thought it looked odd. A lot of people feel that way. I feel that way about it. And since these characters are film characters, seeing them animated (and animated in such a Disney-esque style in game) that much faster would be odd for a lot of people.
Film and video games aren't the same format so the FPS is very different. They aren't comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back