• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone else feel a little jaded about the latest trailer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the second half of the trailer more, whilst i dont want it to dive into the spoiler realm I like the brief clips around the story....its like oh i wonder what they are doing there? what will happen? etc just without showing it

ImVentus

Awards
Definitely!
While there's things that made me interested there was nothing that blew me away. And Ive realised now that I have overestimated this games capacity and while that is the truth it's also insanely disappointing.

San Fransokyo:
When I saw glimpses of San Fransokyo in the first trailer, I was happy and excited to see the city in it's full glory. I let the party member thing slide back then, but now things are way too obvious for me to ignore. When I could see the city in this trailer, it looked like it was in a un-finshed building process. Cause let me tell you that San Fransokyo makes you feel crowded and filled with personality once you enter the streets. Here there is a lack of interaction with population and it doesn't feel like this advanced society that the film portrays. It feels more like The Incredibles Metroville and just mixed with a few SF influences thrown around. That alone makes this feel like it's wasted or in worst scenarios rushed. If it would take them 3-2 years and 9 months to model this world, then you would at least expect to see some personality to the city.
Despite that, his team has done a fantastic job on the character models for about every world so far shown. Tangled is given the perfect treatment with NPCS, larger areas with tons of detail to that of the films.
But at this point it seems useless to expect San Fransokyo to be anything more polished and detailed, which is truly a bummer. Only about 4-5 months away from release. I also don't think we'll see them in their casual duds, since it's quite expensive to model. And for the story they're going with it's probably only going to be with their secret identities. But as a fan of BH6 I find the group more appealing in their causal duds than their armors.

Game presentation so far:
I can surely say that I don't feel as excited as I did when they announced the game back in 2013, but I still want to play it. Just not as excited. I louth the time travelling subplot that got introduced in DDD and I don't find Maleficent or Pete that engaging anymore or necessary to the plot. I seriously can't help but feel that the game is rushed. I'm trying to stay positive, but I can't handle this cluttered plot and it changing the rules. I can only hope that the game will prove me wrong and be a worthy entry.

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Definitely voiced my concerns in more than one thread.

This last trailer showed too much at a way too quick rate in my opinion. I'm not a fan of slideshow trailers, and there are so many "blink and you'll miss it" moments here.
I loved the E3 stuff because it had a proper pace: both Frozen and Pirates got introduced by a calm SDG doing SDG stuff, the dialogues went with a calm flow, the scene didn't jump around frantically.
The gameplay portion of Pirates was so good also because it featured long sequences where you had time to see what Sora was doing and how, that got people pumped up.
Even the Aqua reveal, it starts with her walking towards the Keyblade, grabbing it, talking, and slowly turning around.

This trailer didn't have things I disliked per se (minus maybe one I am discussing elsewhere), but... story was going a hundred kilometers per second, gameplay was okay but mostly set pieces than an actual showcase, and sure enough, it closed with like twenty different scenes in the span of seconds. Go on the video and rewind everywhere you want of just 5 seconds, you'll feel like you're in an entirely different portion of it.

So yeah, that was my issue with it. Didn't quite hyped me up.

Graceful Schemer

While the D23 Expo Japan trailer is my favorite since it debuts Marluxia with blue eyes, these two latest trailers are definitely my favorite as far as style is concerned. The flashing endings especially are of Anime Openings style which I definitely enjoy, a lot of interesting scenes which you do not have context for.

I am left with wanting to see much more and if Ienzo-Ansem the Wise scene is any indication, every background plot threads might actually be touched upon.

As far as the Organization is concerned, only Dilan and Aeleus are left.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I like the style of the trailers. It mixes flashiness with a bunch of scenes that really have little context so we don’t actually know what is going on. I’d rather fit in the dark about what KH3 is all about similar to how KH2 trailers kept us in the dark of 80% of the game.

I think I’m just disappointed because I wanted a new world reveal AND Big Hero 6 but all we got was BH6, so it left me underwhelmed world-wise. Sign on the first page was right, though. All of the known worlds have been revealed now, so anything after this trailer should be new content.

Pirates was surprising more than Frozen because we all knew Frozen was happening anyways and Pirates came out of left field. Seeing that screenshot from the demo that wasn’t meant to exist at that music festival was exciting because it wasn’t something we knew about before. Seeing BH6 was cool but underwhelming because we’ve known about it since 2015.

Next trailer should be a new world reveal, regardless if it is a returning world or actual new world.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I like the style of the trailers. It mixes flashiness with a bunch of scenes that really have little context so we don’t actually know what is going on. I’d rather fit in the dark about what KH3 is all about similar to how KH2 trailers kept us in the dark of 80% of the game.

I think I’m just disappointed because I wanted a new world reveal AND Big Hero 6 but all we got was BH6, so it left me underwhelmed world-wise. Sign on the first page was right, though. All of the known worlds have been revealed now, so anything after this trailer should be new content.

Pirates was surprising more than Frozen because we all knew Frozen was happening anyways and Pirates came out of left field. Seeing that screenshot from the demo that wasn’t meant to exist at that music festival was exciting because it wasn’t something we knew about before. Seeing BH6 was cool but underwhelming because we’ve known about it since 2015.

Next trailer should be a new world reveal, regardless if it is a returning world or actual new world.

I couldn’t agree more. While I agree with alexis.anagram that a good story should be enjoyable whether you know what happens or not, I feel like the discovery of what happens and how is best experienced in the piece itself rather than previews. For example, I still love experiencing the other KH games’ stories despite knowing what happens. But nothing can compare to the first time I discovered the mysteries by playing through the game.

When it comes to trailers, I don’t expect the creators to give everything away from the product they’ve spent years developing just as I wouldn’t expect an author to put everything that happens in their book on the inside cover. In my opinion, a preview should raise questions that encourage you to play the game in order to have your questions answered.

I do want to see at least one trailer where the overall premise is defined, but that doesn’t lessen my enjoyment of this one at all. I think because this was the debut of a known world, they wanted to throw a bunch of main plot and character stuff at us to make up for it. The future trailers will be closer to the form of the previous ones, I think.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The trailer was fine. I guess I just don't care about anything but world reveals anymore because the game's over 4 months away. There's no use thinking about all the plot breadcrumbs because I know it will be quite a while before there's any answer to see what any of it means. Maybe it's just because I've been waiting on KH3 for so long that all the teasing is annoying more than anything else at this point.

Sdog

Awards
I don't know if jaded would apply to me. Other than knowing what the remaining Disney worlds are I just don't really need/want to see anything else till I have the game in my hands.

Whenever more trailers do release I'm hoping they can keep the actual plot to a minimum as this last one did more than enough teasing for me. The hardcore will pick this game up no matter what so just show off the Disney stuff and let me be surprised form here on out.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Game presentation so far:
I can surely say that I don't feel as excited as I did when they announced the game back in 2013, but I still want to play it. Just not as excited. I louth the time travelling subplot that got introduced in DDD and I don't find Maleficent or Pete that engaging anymore or necessary to the plot. I seriously can't help but feel that the game is rushed. I'm trying to stay positive, but I can't handle this cluttered plot and it changing the rules. I can only hope that the game will prove me wrong and be a worthy entry.

I mean I can't really refute anything you feel since its just your opinion, but I do have to say, I at least feel like saying the game is rushed...isn't quite right? Like you can be displeased with choices and such, but this game has definitely had a full development cycle so blaming it on being rushed isn't really the truth. They just couldn't do everything you wanted from it in the time it takes to make a full game currently might be a better way of putting it? Like, for content like the city and stuff. The plot was always going to be this way lol.

Yeah, my main issue was just they have now used two separate conventions to "announce" a Big Hero 6 world. Which I think wasn't the smartest marketing strategy imo. They really did pack this trailer with enough that I at least am pleased with it. Still getting anxious about the remaining worlds though lol.

kaseykockroach

Awards
I haven't really watched the trailers beyond the first one.
Trailers are for when I'm not sure whether or not I'm particularly interested in the movie/game/TV show. And since I'm obviously VERY MUCH INTERESTED in KH3, I haven't felt the need to watch the trailers. I already know I want the game, I don't need trailers to tell me so! :p

mytomxxx

After every trailer I'm more like "man I want to know what is gonna happen, omg release soon this game, please god".
I stopped reading and searching about KH, close to when BBs realesed, and this is because there my hype for KH3 was so intense that i couldn't bare the waiting. So I decided to not see any information anymore, but E3 came and the trailers got me again, and here I'm wanting to sleep in a cryo chamber.

ImVentus

Awards
I mean I can't really refute anything you feel since its just your opinion, but I do have to say, I at least feel like saying the game is rushed...isn't quite right? Like you can be displeased with choices and such, but this game has definitely had a full development cycle so blaming it on being rushed isn't really the truth. They just couldn't do everything you wanted from it in the time it takes to make a full game currently might be a better way of putting it? Like, for content like the city and stuff. The plot was always going to be this way lol.

San Fransokyo was my most excited world reveal. When I saw how they had build and modelled Kingdom Of Corona & Pirates, I had my expectations rise very high for San Fransokyo, as far as aesthetics go. From the get go I knew that San Fransokyo would be a difficult world to create, but I decided to to let my previous impressions make me overly optimistic. And I will stand for what I said about the impression of the city knowing that people will disagree with me.

Also the way I said that it felt rushed was more that of my own interpretation of what I've taken notes from all the information & marketing so far when it comes to story, writing, characterization & of course aesthetics. It's not meant to be a definite word for rushed. But since I defied it as (is) instead of (could be) I can see why it was interpreted as negatively. And I stand for that, but I also said that I'm hopeful to be proven wrong from the game itself when it gets released.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Not really, I was sold on the game after the E3 2015 trailer was shown off. Everything else has been dessert for me ever since.

mytomxxx

I have two things that turned me down in this trailer.

One, is that the city San Fransokyo, looks a bit generic when you are flying with baymax. I mean, KH was never notable for their npcs, but feels like I'm seeing Spider Man 2 in ps2, just the cars moving around, feels empty and weird. When I see Sora climbing the buildings they don't seen so high. I can be wrong, and in the final product it is better tho. But you know, agabrah at kh2 was worst and I still love the game.

I can't forget that, is their choice to focus on details rather than crowd and npcs, that's why the graphics are so good in ps2. They worked more on small locations highly detailed. Maybe they can make the maps alot bigger, but I think it would be really hard to them to make San Fransokyo be crowded as we wanted.

Other thing that bugs me, is when Sora is with marshmellow, fighting against the wolf heartless, and we have a close of Sora jumping them spinning his keyblade, man Sora looks so off and made out of clay at this scene, feels like the earliers gameplay footage.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Those focused on purely new reveals might find themselves underwhelmed. I myself am looking for any dots and any connections to be made from the main cutscenes, so any main-cutscene tidbits are delicious drops of bone hurting juice to me.

*sip sip*

Aaaagh, AAAGH MY BONES OWW OOF!

Any reference to bone hurting juice is a reference well made.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
San Fransokyo was my most excited world reveal. When I saw how they had build and modelled Kingdom Of Corona & Pirates, I had my expectations rise very high for San Fransokyo, as far as aesthetics go. From the get go I knew that San Fransokyo would be a difficult world to create, but I decided to to let my previous impressions make me overly optimistic. And I will stand for what I said about the impression of the city knowing that people will disagree with me.

Also the way I said that it felt rushed was more that of my own interpretation of what I've taken notes from all the information & marketing so far when it comes to story, writing, characterization & of course aesthetics. It's not meant to be a definite word for rushed. But since I defied it as (is) instead of (could be) I can see why it was interpreted as negatively. And I stand for that, but I also said that I'm hopeful to be proven wrong from the game itself when it gets released.

Oh yeah I mean thats fine, as long you know it isn't rushed in the traditional sense I guess was all I was trying to get at ha. Like I was trying to help you put your feelings into words, I suppose?
I personally don't agree with your grievances but I rarely overhype myself. But I'm not gonna really get on ya for it or anything lol. Especially since the game isn't even out yet, and yeah our opinions can change.

Neo_

Awards
I'm exactly the opposite. To me, a strong narrative will stand regardless of whether or not the audience knows what's going to happen. But also it's not that I'm arguing more story should be revealed, it's that I think the elements which are used in the trailers should be selectively pieced together so that it conveys a sense of what the game is about and what it will feel like to experience it. The BH6 trailer is all over the place, with nothing really managing to stick its landing aside from stuff which is specifically designed to play to the hype junkies, which gives me the sense that the story is really unwieldy and tonally slack. Which means it's either an inaccurate reflection of the game, which makes for a poor trailer, or an accurate reflection of the game, which...would be bad news.

Like, take the conversation between Sora and Hiro about Tadashi. That would have been a great place to start the trailer, and set up the world and characters of BH6 in our minds, because I imagine in the game that scene is meant to carry some emotion and they could have leaned into that to get us thinking about why Sora is in San Fransokyo and what he gets out of it, and what we get out of it in turn. Here it's slapped carelessly in the middle of a massive deluge of just stuff and the moment is dragged down to make room for more stuff that's going to come after it. Which leaves me wondering why I should care, or whether I would care if I hadn't been playing these games for more than a decade. It makes me think KH3 is just going to be kind of exhausting, and it isn't going to even try to earn its reaches for our emotional investment: that it's taken for granted.

edit: Also Utada Hikaru is doing all the heavy lifting in these trailers and that's a fact.
Such good points; a story should be good cause it's good, regardless if you know what's gonna happen beforehand. The culture today is too dependent on spoiler-avoidance and hype/surprise machines; you're gonna find out one way or another.

But yeah; I think I stand with everyone that this was the first "bleh; idc" trailer so far.

Anyone else follow Smash Bros.? I don't think there's ever been anything as equally polarizing in gaming as who the Smash newcomers are and what the Disney worlds are in KH, so they have that in common.

I'm not going to get into it cause it's off-topic, but your being underwhelmed by the lack of surprise was how I felt about the Isabelle reveal; she wasn't confirmed to be playable, but was very likely and leaked by a guy who got a ton of stuff right, so we didn't a surprise reveal there either.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Such good points; a story should be good cause it's good, regardless if you know what's gonna happen beforehand. The culture today is too dependent on spoiler-avoidance and hype/surprise machines; you're gonna find out one way or another.

But yeah; I think I stand with everyone that this was the first "bleh; idc" trailer so far.

Anyone else follow Smash Bros.? I don't think there's ever been anything as equally polarizing in gaming as who the Smash newcomers are and what the Disney worlds are in KH, so they have that in common.

I'm not going to get into it cause it's off-topic, but your being underwhelmed by the lack of surprise was how I felt about the Isabelle reveal; she wasn't confirmed to be playable, but was very likely and leaked by a guy who got a ton of stuff right, so we didn't a surprise reveal there either.

Lol, other than Pokemon Smash and Kingdom Hearts are my favorite series so yeah I have always noticed that parallel. Mostly because I am very into speculation on Disney worlds in KH and characters/series in Smash. My reaction to Isabelle was complicated. I was less hype cuz of the Vergeben thing ( and it will be the same for the next 2 people he has spoiled now as well, ugh) but at least Isabelle we hadn't seen yet. Also I expected her to be an echo and not get her own trailer, so that still took me aback.
But yea, it was a little similar to this trailer in that sense, that knowing beforehand takes the hype away a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back