• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone else feel a little jaded about the latest trailer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

robotman

I'm super happy about the reveals in the trailer but I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed, I think it's because I (we) already knew that Big Hero 6 was a world, so I've got nothing to be excited for, they teased the "real" organisation again and also showed off the world (which we haven't seen before) but I just feel "meh"... Am I the only one? Or am I alone in this? Lol...

If I'm alone in this, I'll gladly take all of the hate in the comments lol.

Seadrin

Awards
Not at all! I am more excited, literally than I ever have been for this game. But totally understand where you are coming from!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
You're definitely not the only one and it's understandable why you feel that way. The good thing is that now with BH6 out of the way, we can finally get some surprises~

Zul

Awards
Those focused on purely new reveals might find themselves underwhelmed. I myself am looking for any dots and any connections to be made from the main cutscenes, so any main-cutscene tidbits are delicious drops of bone hurting juice to me.

*sip sip*

Aaaagh, AAAGH MY BONES OWW OOF!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I don't feel that way, personally, but I have seen comments online where people have been less than thrilled with the trailer (but that mainly has to do with the plot of the game).

I can't feel disappointed in this game since we're actually going to get a heartfelt interaction between Ienzo and Ansem the Wise. It has been such an odd thing, for Ansem to raise this orphan and make him into a scientist, and then that orphan stab his father figure in the back. Aside from their very short interactions in Birth by Sleep, it felt very weird that Nomura wrote that plot line without any character acknowledging how fucked up that was of Ienzo.

So now that I personally know KH3 will have scenes like that, that provides closure to some lingering plot lines, this trailer has excited me and got my head racing with possibilities.

And like Sign said, now that Big Hero 6 is finally out of the way, everything in the future marketing materials can be surprising.

Neo_

Awards
Not knowing anything about the movie, I was pleasantly surprised at how cool the characters/environments look; I never knew I wanted a city in KH so bad.

the red monster

Awards
I do feel big hero 6 world is the weakest one so far, at least from what we seen, but the rest of the trailer was super good story stuff wise.
at least from now on every world reveal should give us the surprise factor

Laffensplat

Nay, you're not the only one. I have excitement for the story of KH3, of course, yet I find myself disappointed in what I've seen so far. I am following this game without expectation, but I am not entirely liking the direction they're going with the story and the character arcs. The overall characterization is quite different than in previous games; they just don't seem like the same characters... Especially with that new box art, it's like I'm looking at Final Fantasy characters instead.

I don't know, it's not coming across as a Kingdom Hearts game to me after this latest trailer. Might be all of the new content, new designs, and modern graphics finally becoming realized after a long time. I question, "Is this what KH3 and the franchise will be made up of from now on?" (Which I asked back when Union X[Cross] and X[chi] were released, too). Let's just say, it's not as I thought it would be compared to the early trailers and concepts...

There are some character interactions and scenes I'm looking forward to, though. A lot will be included in this game, so there will be much to find out and no time for disappointment.

Last edited:

Neo_

Awards
Well don't forget Winnie the Pooh has to be shown, and that won't be a surprise, leak or not.

I mean, I only watched the trailer with no audio on my tiny phone screen on the toilet at work and I have no desire to rewatch it, so yeah.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I've seen some here that share your thoughts, but still it's super cool how KH and BH6 are intertwined. Like you could tell me The Incredibles is the next world and not show the trailer, but I'd still be hype for all the cool references between the two.

The next world could be a surprise world, so that's at least something to look forward to.

Neo_

Awards
The overall characterization is quite different than in previous games; they just don't seem like the same characters... Especially with that new box art, it's like I'm looking at Final Fantasy characters instead.

I don't know, it's not coming across as a Kingdom Hearts game to me after this latest trailer. Might be all of the new content, new designs, and modern graphics finally becoming realized after a long time. I question, "Is this what KH3 and the franchise will be made up of from now on?" (Which I asked back when Union X[Cross] and X[chi] were released, too
). Let's just say, it's not as I thought it would be compared to the early trailers and concepts...
The original screenshot I saw for the cover resembled more of a vertical than horizontal rectangle, so I thought they were gonna cut out the part with Donald, Goofy and Mickey, and thought "Oh God".

So what did you think the game would be?

Laffensplat

The original screenshot I saw for the cover resembled more of a vertical than horizontal rectangle, so I thought they were gonna cut out the part with Donald, Goofy and Mickey, and thought "Oh God".

So what did you think the game would be?

I doubt they would cut out Donald, Goofy, and Mickey anyway.

I am really not sure what I thought it would be, lol. Like I said, I am following the game without expectation, but the game overall just isn't what I imagined compared to the possibilities that were presented early on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I didn't have much of an idea then, so now that I have an idea of what it will be, I'm left feeling a tad hesitant.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
You're not alone at all. For me, it has to do with a continued lack of real substance in favor of spectacle, and the way that everything is being framed as deliberate misdirection. It's like the trailers are actively trying to throw us off the plot of the game so that Nomura can keep his twists intact, and I don't appreciate that. There doesn't seem to be any cohesion between scenes and ideas so far: like this trailer doesn't give me a sense of the arc of this game, just that it's going to exist at some point and here are some glimpses of stuff I can't make out and in which I have little reason to invest because I have no way of understanding why or how it matters. It's not even really theory fodder, it's just breadcrumbs, like the fandom is really supposed to be excited because we can go on for another four months trying to figure out what style of window that is in front of Roxas or where in the timeline Aqua eats her darkness pie. Yay exciting.

I just don't think there's a lot to take away from this trailer other than the BH6 world looks big and there's literally no way of knowing what's happening in this game. And it makes me think the element of surprise is vastly overrated in modern media.

Laffensplat

It's like the trailers are actively trying to throw us off the plot of the game so that Nomura can keep his twists intact, and I don't appreciate that. There doesn't seem to be any cohesion between scenes and ideas so far: like this trailer doesn't give me a sense of the arc of this game, just that it's going to exist at some point and here are some glimpses of stuff I can't make out and in which I have little reason to invest because I have no way of understanding why or how it matters. It's not even really theory fodder, it's just breadcrumbs, like the fandom is really supposed to be excited because we can go on for another four months trying to figure out what style of window that is in front of Roxas or where in the timeline Aqua eats her darkness pie.

I agree for the most part. It's like Data Riku for example; people freaked out about whether it was Xion or him in that two second clip for about a week or so, only to find out it was indeed Data Riku. The trailers are majority like what you said: breadcrumbs. Short clips to tide fans over and give them something to analyze or speculate on until the time.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Between knowing the entire plot and knowing little, I personally would rather go into it knowing little. BBS had one of my favorite plots of the series, but the vast majority of it was known to me because of the trailers. I much, much prefer this style and believe that Nomura is capable of making something I'll enjoy.

Last edited:

Peri16

I get what you mean, it'd be one thing if we didn't know BH6 was going to be a world. I mean those's trailers were really good and had alot of great stuff in them but I honestly thought we'd see the BH6 world in a trailer on the side, like it's only a small part of it. But than again it was cool to see what we did of it and I personally love that movie so not the end of the world but it does feel weird like why did they even announce it the way they did if they planned to have most of the trailers show off new worlds.

Neo_

Awards
^ lol, this person gets it as well. There's gonna be a point where I won't even be able to bring myself to watch anymore trailers/gameplay; same thing happened with Mario Odyssey, Rabbids, etc.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Between knowing the entire plot and knowing little, I personally would rather go into it knowing little. BBS had one of my favorite plots of the seroes, but the vast majority of it was known to me because of the trailers. I much, much prefer this style and believe that Nomura is capable of making something I'll enjoy.
I'm exactly the opposite. To me, a strong narrative will stand regardless of whether or not the audience knows what's going to happen. But also it's not that I'm arguing more story should be revealed, it's that I think the elements which are used in the trailers should be selectively pieced together so that it conveys a sense of what the game is about and what it will feel like to experience it. The BH6 trailer is all over the place, with nothing really managing to stick its landing aside from stuff which is specifically designed to play to the hype junkies, which gives me the sense that the story is really unwieldy and tonally slack. Which means it's either an inaccurate reflection of the game, which makes for a poor trailer, or an accurate reflection of the game, which...would be bad news.

Like, take the conversation between Sora and Hiro about Tadashi. That would have been a great place to start the trailer, and set up the world and characters of BH6 in our minds, because I imagine in the game that scene is meant to carry some emotion and they could have leaned into that to get us thinking about why Sora is in San Fransokyo and what he gets out of it, and what we get out of it in turn. Here it's slapped carelessly in the middle of a massive deluge of just stuff and the moment is dragged down to make room for more stuff that's going to come after it. Which leaves me wondering why I should care, or whether I would care if I hadn't been playing these games for more than a decade. It makes me think KH3 is just going to be kind of exhausting, and it isn't going to even try to earn its reaches for our emotional investment: that it's taken for granted.

edit: Also Utada Hikaru is doing all the heavy lifting in these trailers and that's a fact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back