• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone else dislike...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
The direction this site has taken? I used to come here for theories and information. But within the last year, I get agitated reading the threads.
"Anyone else dislike flowmotion?" The answer is yes. Have you read any of the posts after a kh3 trailer was posted. Amid all the other negatives and nit picking, you'll find an overwhelming amount of complaints about flowmotion (or any other returning mechanic the trailer is showing off). That's like me making a thread about "anyone else dislike shotlocks". Yes. The Jump Festa Trailer thread could have changed its title to that.
Everyone complained when we didn't get the d23 trailer, we get it and now it's "oh, it's just the d23 trailer".
This community has turned into the most ungrateful group. It frustrates me. I feel like it was a lot better when there was only one person posting these negatives as opposed to everyone.
Seriously though. 10 minutes after a new trailer is released it goes from "such an awesome trailer!" To "the entire thing is crap. I wish they wouldn't do this. I wish they'd change that."
It's annoying as anything.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I always just kinda assumed that overwhelming negativity was a part of any fandom. :I

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yea whatever. Agreeing to BlackOsprey by the way. It's just normal if some people are upset about something.

Venx

To be honest, I'm surprised how good this community is, becaue the most Kingdom Hearts fans I know & see on other sites, are just bitches that do nothing more than complaining about everything. Of course people are complaning here, too and point out what they don't like, but is anything wrong with that?

Yea, if you have 100 posts and 90 of them are just bitching around then you probably have a pretty good life, that this is the only problem you have. But the most Users I see here, are really nice people that discuss these things and treat each other with respect (I talk about the most people here, not everyone.)

I'm pretty sure it won't change and when KH3 comes out, there will be a lot of threads about how bad the new mechanics are, even if they are amazing. You can't change it, but if you readly closely, I'm sure you'll see that only a few people are complaining. A lot, but most of the time they are the same.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
The negative spectrum of any audience tends to be VERY vocal about whatever it is that they hate. It annoys me and makes me kind of sad that those people can't enjoy something that I really enjoyed, but what can you do about it...

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Welcome to the fandom bruh. You're gonna get ingrates everywhere.

Wonderful

Awards
honestly, it has changed a bit. the prominent members who were once the biggest contribution for things like theories and good-hearted discussion have turned sour on the series after so many years or have left entirely. there is definitely more of a trend to negative opinions on the forum. i think it's part of why it is so dead compared to previous years. there's also just the fact that the new mysteries in the kh series are ones with little to no clues in the actual text, so there isn't much point theorizing now because we dont have the pieces to actually get anywhere. i'd love a more concerted effort to try and cultivate a more positive and excited fandom. i'm just not sure what that would exactly look like. most people in fandom who keep positive do so through the work of fanworks, but with that aspect cut off from the main kh forums, it leaves it kind of disconnected and doesn't fuel back into the main activity of this forum.

Muke

whatever
Awards
honestly, it has changed a bit. the prominent members who were once the biggest contribution for things like theories and good-hearted discussion have turned sour on the series after so many years or have left entirely. there is definitely more of a trend to negative opinions on the forum. i think it's part of why it is so dead compared to previous years.
I wouldn't say that this forum is dead. Hell, no.

There are currently
1002 users online.
Most users ever online was 4,453, September 15, 2015 at 06:14 PM.

Yes, it is less active than in past years, but you know what I have noticed? There are more people who write good posts. Most of old threads I read through have very disrespectful posts. I am just happy to be part of this fandom. I would never want to be a member on sites as kh13 or something -- no.

Wonderful

Awards

There are currently
1002 users online.

you're forgetting that includes guests, aka people without accounts.
currently there is like 30 members online. that's... pretty dead.
the guests don't matter if they aren't contributing.

for anyone around back before and during the releases of the three handheld titles, the forum is very dead in comparison. i mean, it can be hours before there is a new post in FoKH and KH3 sections. days between posts in the other kh sections. that isn't very lively.

Anagram

Banned
'Ungrateful" So a person is automatically ungrateful just because they express dislike for a series direction? Like Venx said at least this community is still decent. At least people will give actual detailed reasons as to why they dislike something instead of just saying "this sucks" to incite arguments.

It's not entirely the fanbases fault either. I remember the older days your talking about and it's the series itself that's made it this way. There's no theories because there's not much left to theorize. People have done Xehanort theories to death here so those hardly get posted or replies. The only mysteries left are foretellers and the one theory we have on that is already so good no one bothers to make another.

Also the series lost a lot of older fans that made such theories and discussions over time. It took turns that weren't' enjoyable to the older fans and so they left. Other older fans admit upfront they're only still here til KH3 to get some closure before leaving permanently and most of these younger fans show no interest in old theories or discussions like we used to have. Usually only appearing when there's news and leaving.
The love is just gone and newer fans dont seem to have the same express desire to have discussions like the older ones did. Hell even if they wanted too how could they? Any question or small theory made these days is usually stopped in their tracks by some quote from a interview or such.

Quoting myself on the matter said:
Among may be the series most grave shortcoming of interviews and reports. These were such a.....horrible idea.
Nomura once said he liked ambiguity but as the series goes on you see in interviews that he answers more and more details in them. Details that should be placed in the main form of media itself (the games) so the fans of his series can actually understand it.

"Xions' keybalde is fake?" "What do you mean soul is just a battery?" "What do you mean Sora's kingdom key was originally Riku's and not Ven's?" "How do you know the voice in KH1's tutorial wasn't Ven!?" "Roxas and Ventus are different people?"

Anyone having been around such a fandom as long as I have is very familiar with these and other such questions. Questions asked by a majority of the fanbase that doesn't have a community like this site or other means to learn of these interviews to know these things. Worse yet they're familiar with fans who doesn't even know some of these questions are answered in the games themselves within the walls of text that is the Ansem Reports and other such documents in the Jiminey or game Journals. (which some are just to lazy to read)

I have even encountered fans that were so disgruntled by this handling of facts and mythos that despite knowing of them they openly discounted them. Taking the 'author is dead' approach with the logic 'if it's not in the game then it shouldn't matter'. And at this stage I honestly can't blame them. I find such people justified in their reasoning. Facts of a story should be within the main frame of that story. In this stories case, it's games.

At first this wasn't really a problem. In KH1 the reports mostly gave you insight into the Ansem which is largely only referenced by Leon and his gang for much of the story. (if you took the time to talk to them throughout the game)
Chain of Memories too had no interviews/reports of which to worry about and while Kingdom Hearts 2 had interview material it wasn't nothing you really needed to know to understand or theorize this series.

It was during this earlier era, what some call 'Pre-Days', that many theorizers or old lore masters came from. It is also this era of which I give some praise to Kingdom Hearts 2 which I usually criticize. While KH2 had writing issues and overly easy difficulty it still had ambiguity. It gave something to the fan base. It ignited our fires. Like the original Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2's reports mostly gave insight to the "real" Ansem and his struggle and banishment.

It also gave you the tidbit that the fake Ansem (aka Xehanort) the "real Ansem's" foremost apprentice being an amnesiac or displaying what the real Ansem (aka "Diz) called "super human" feats. These things brought on a great and long lasting wave of theories and discussions. (although ultimately these things would bad for the character and series in their own right)

While this place and others was full of flaming back then there was those gem threads. Threads of theories and discussions using nothing but observation and interruption alone. The discussions of Roxas having a heart or not will forever be fond memories to me.

Sadly now these very types of discussions or talks can, and usually are, stopped in their tracks or shattered entirely thanks to Nomura. One quote, one messily sentence, one mention of an interview destroys the drive to have discussions or theories like days of old. People lose interest and at times even wait for someone to just come along and quote Nomura rather than discussing something properly.

Nomura has literally killed the drive to talk or theorize about his own series because he can't stick to his own strive for ambiguity.

Far more damaging however is how most of the facts revealed in this fashion are absent from the game leaving a strong sense of convolution, complexity and lost among fans. Something Nomura once gave his atypical smirk or laugh about when regarding how lost fans were with Dream Drop Distance. (should someone in his position really smile or chuckle about his fans being lost in understanding his story?)

The fanbase is basically in pieces. Ya got the old ones that lost interest as the series went on, the newer ones that love it for how it is, fans that express the faults of the series but wait for KH3, and the fans that are so blinded by their love that they run around ignoring the faults and starting petty arguments with fans expressing said faults.

It doesn't help that hype dies near instantly these days. In the days of BBS or Days a game or trailer would carry interest for months. Now it dies almost as soon as you get it. Hell just a week or so after KH3s announcement the site was dead again. Ten years ago that hype would carry months.

There are currently
1002 users online.

Yes, it is less active than in past years, but you know what I have noticed? There are more people who write good posts. Most of old threads I read through have very disrespectful posts. I am just happy to be part of this fandom. I would never want to be a member on sites as kh13 or something -- no.
Sorry man but like Wonderful said that is very dead in comparison to the older days when you had close to a hundred members on at any given time and at least one hot thread going.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
In defense of the forum, there hasn't been a new game (barring Chi which still hasn't come here) since DDD released in 2012. Sure, we had the HD collections, but those didn't really provide us with anything new to discuss except a handful of scenes.

We've been running on fumes since 2012 and the only thing that can change that is actual new content to discuss.

Anagram

Banned
In defense of the forum, there hasn't been a new game (barring Chi which still hasn't come here) since DDD released in 2012. Sure, we had the HD collections, but those didn't really provide us with anything new to discuss except a handful of scenes.

We've been running on fumes since 2012 and the only thing that can change that is actual new content to discuss.

I doubt a new game will help much. Even KH3s announcement didn't keep us active more than a week or so.

Edit. That's not the sites fault though. Just the larger fanbases lost interest. =[

Wonderful

Awards
well i mean an announcement's not the same as an entire new game of content to be enjoyed and discussed. kinda feel that was taochan's point. without a new game, it's very hard to keep active to such levels.

WastedPenguin

Awards
Well we all have a good reason to be skeptical about the new and returning stuff in KH3 like shotlock, flowmotion and atraction flow.
Just look at how unbalanced and broken BBS was. And the fact that the same team that developed the spinoff titles is also responsible for KH3 for the most part makes us even more skeptical. In BBS some shotlocks were more a type of avoiding damage, which is not the right way it should be used. And in this game you are able to avoid any damage permanently by just pressing square (Aquas dodgeroll for example). Bosses like MF had absolutely no funfactor since all you do in this fight is spamming square to avoid damage and then just use some thunder surges when the boss is open for attacks. But then again, BBS is just a handheld title and i guess the limit of the PSP's hardware is the reason why there went so few work into its gameplay.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Well we all have a good reason to be skeptical about the new and returning stuff in KH3 like shotlock, flowmotion and atraction flow.
Just look at how unbalanced and broken BBS was. And the fact that the same team that developed the spinoff titles is also responsible for KH3 for the most part makes us even more skeptical. In BBS some shotlocks were more a type of avoiding damage, which is not the right way it should be used. And in this game you are able to avoid any damage permanently by just pressing square (Aquas dodgeroll for example). Bosses like MF had absolutely no funfactor since all you do in this fight is spamming square to avoid damage and then just use some thunder surges when the boss is open for attacks. But then again, BBS is just a handheld title and i guess the limit of the PSP's hardware is the reason why there went so few work into its gameplay.

So few work? It may have been flawed, but the Osaka team definitely worked very hard on that game. They invented new concepts that the series has been using for five years, and even though it's not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, the BBS team has consistently been cranking out enjoyable stuff since it started working on the series. Personally, I think the BBS hate that's shown up over the past couple of years it the result of hive-mind. Like, if you take the three games of that phase of the saga I'll take BBS over Days a thousand times, and for that matter, coded. (even though I really like coded)

Wonderful

Awards
It looks like soras shotlocks are flowmotion related in the trailer
like in bbs, i am sure sora has many variants of shotlocks with the flowmotion esque one being one of them, and we see another at the end of the trailer which is a more traditional barrage of light bullet things.

i also kind of think the bbs (and spin-off hate) is a better overdone, at least when it comes to the gameplay. personally i found every game developed by osaka to be fun and enjoyable to play. sure they aren't perfect and there are some over-powered moves. but if it bothers the vocal dissenters that much i don't see why they just don't... use those moves? yeah megaflare was ridiculous, so don't use it then lol.

i can't really speak to the optional bosses, since i always thought the whole point of them was to be ridiculously overpowered and challenging and not that fun to do.

Vulpeus1041

like in bbs, i am sure sora has many variants of shotlocks with the flowmotion esque one being one of them, and we see another at the end of the trailer which is a more traditional barrage of light bullet things.

i also kind of think the bbs (and spin-off hate) is a better overdone, at least when it comes to the gameplay. personally i found every game developed by osaka to be fun and enjoyable to play. sure they aren't perfect and there are some over-powered moves. but if it bothers the vocal dissenters that much i don't see why they just don't... use those moves? yeah megaflare was ridiculous, so don't use it then lol.

i can't really speak to the optional bosses, since i always thought the whole point of them was to be ridiculously overpowered and challenging and not that fun to do.

Yeah at the end of the kh3 trailer he shoots it out of his hand, is that important?

I personally didn't use the finish attacks or the shotlock. I used magic for most of the time, magnet and thunder, my favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back