• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anybody else feel like the next entry will be DLC?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Guiding_Light

I have been wondering if I'm alone in this opinion or not, but I feel like the next entry in the series will be a Verum Rex DLC. It would be quicker for them to produce, as they could reuse a number of assets from KH3, and it wouldn't have to be a very long game, as only 1 or 2 worlds would need to be explorable.

Thoughts?

Obiewantsanipod

My thoughts exactly. I really thought the secret ending was DLC and not a new game at all, with the next game secret ending being a part of the DLC after fulfilling some requirements. I figured that if Sora and Riku were in the same world, then they can just add one very large world, and there would be no shortage of characters from TWEWY to Verum Rex to the hooded figure. And since 104 was there maybe some of the TWEWY villains would show up as boss battles. Either way I'm sure it would be greatly beneficial for them to reuse assets to capitalize further more on the game as DLC and eventually a game of the year edition.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
See, I never thought why people think that the secret ending means a DLC episode. I'm not opposed to it, if it means more KH goodness sooner rather than later, I'm all for it. But, why? Is it because of the Foretellers and the whole Verum Rex thing "seemingly" not fitting into the picture? Cause if so, I'm not quite sure if that's where we're heading.

Nomura also said he would rather do a new title rather than something like this, if memory serves, so I think this is KH4 stuff. But it's hard to say, it's the beginning of the year, and I like to think that KH3 will have similar update consistency like FFXV did, minus the Episodic stuff (unless Nomura or Square change their minds). I don't think KH3 will be updated two years later like XV did, but I do think we'll be seeing a lot more this year, including whatever the hell is going on with Verum Rex.

Obiewantsanipod

The reason I thought that is because no Squeenix characters appear in the game, so it seemed to me like they held off until DLC. And Nomura did mention that he would rather focus on the next title but is open to adding one big DLC. So I don't think it's off the table.

j_kazmi

I don’t think a DLC like that is very likely.

But given the amount of minor games there have been in the series, the next entry HAS to be either KH4 or a DLC to bridge the gap. It cannot be another minor game. Because there have way too many games across way too many platforms over the last 13 years. Enough is enough. Just tell us the story like a normal person.

its time to just get to the point Nomura. I will be pretty annoyed if they release another side game because I know a DLC would be much quicker to make.

Zerkania

Awards
There isn't really a hand-held anymore to do another side game with, excluding maybe the 3DS but I don't think that's all that likely.
A side-game on the Switch could be possible, but those are pretty demanding (a lot more than say the PSP/3DS) and it'd be odd to do that to alienate the current fan-base from PS4/Xbox.

A new game/major DLC episode seem more logical. And judging by sales, a new game/new DLC for PS4/Xbox is likely to sell a lot better than a side-game.

rodx

They can use San Fransokyo assets on Shijuku/Shibuya,like Scalla uses from Kingdom of Corona,I believe on DLC as well because being Square Enix thematically don't feel like a Last World material like TWTNW and Keyblade Graveyard,also a Night City as Last World for KH4 will be too Similar to TWTNW .

People probably alredy noted,but, Verum Rex : Beat of the Lead subtitle emplies being the first of a series,and we know Square recently multimedia policy with his franchises like FF XV .

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
The way I see it, I think we will get a Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix for January 2020 and the next mainline Kingdom Hearts entry for 2021. Nomura did not want to go through the season pass process, so having a singular major update to further bulk Kingdom Hearts III is the best way to go for quality control and longevity.

They can use San Fransokyo assets on Shijuku/Shibuya,like Scalla uses from Kingdom of Corona,I believe on DLC as well because being Square Enix thematically don't feel like a Last World material like TWTNW and Keyblade Graveyard,also a Night City as Last World for KH4 will be too Similar to TWTNW.

I honestly don't think they can. Disney and Pixar went through the approval process of how specific assets were textured to be identical to the Disney properties they are based off, so I think that alone prevents a copy and pasting method of assets. And there's also the protection of intellectual property to consider when it comes to licensing Disney.

Instead, I think that the Kingdom Hearts development team have learned how to create natively diverse HD environments through the designs of the various Disney worlds they've created with Kingdom Hearts III.

Askelon

The way I see it, I think we will get a Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix for January 2020 and the next mainline Kingdom Hearts entry for 2021. Nomura did not want to go through the season pass process, so having a singular major update to further bulk Kingdom Hearts III is the best way to go for quality control and longevity.

That's really optimistic. With the remake of FF7 i don't expect another main title of KH series before they finish FF.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I honestly don't think the next entry will be a DLC, I mean it's not impossible that they might try something new, but I'd be surprised if that's what they'd do.

I think it's likely that the DLC will be KH3 Final Mix, seeing that's the trend for most Numbered games or numbered equivalent games. While I can't rule out Shibuya as KH3FM's Secret episode ala Realm Of Darkness in BBSFM, it'd seem strange to be featured in the secret ending if that was all it was teasing.

The way I see it, I think we will get a Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix for January 2020 and the next mainline Kingdom Hearts entry for 2021. Nomura did not want to go through the season pass process, so having a singular major update to further bulk Kingdom Hearts III is the best way to go for quality control and longevity..

Make that 2023 or even 2024 and I agree with you. I feel like the days of us getting KH games each year are long gone now, especially considering the quality control KH3 had to go through this time around.

dwroxas16

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I think it's likely that the DLC will be KH3 Final Mix, seeing that's the trend for most Numbered games or numbered equivalent games. While I can't rule out Shibuya as KH3FM's Secret episode ala Realm Of Darkness in BBSFM, it'd seem strange to be featured in the secret ending if that was all it was teasing.

I agree, the DLC will be final Mix style, but I could see Shibuya being a DLC world added to the eclipse galaxy since there is nothing there besides the graveyard.

IF the FM DLC was not related to the secret ending, I would be surprised just because of how different the secret ending and the epilogue felt. and I thought the epilogue was weighing more on the next game.
Also, just saying, I would be all for playing as Yozora in the secret ending DLC.

SerDuncan

Honestly... I think the DLC will be FFXV style. After going back and playing 0.2, I am fully convinced that it was actually meant to be a part of Kingdom Hearts 3, if not physically than in spirit it was meant to be taken as such.

If we get DLC, I expect it to be around the length of 0.2, probably visiting one world at a time, probably controlling characters other than Sora.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Honestly... I think the DLC will be FFXV style. After going back and playing 0.2, I am fully convinced that it was actually meant to be a part of Kingdom Hearts 3, if not physically than in spirit it was meant to be taken as such.

If we get DLC, I expect it to be around the length of 0.2, probably visiting one world at a time, probably controlling characters other than Sora.

Wasn't it confirmed or stated that KH0.2 was basically meant to be the prologe in KH3 and they made it it's own thing because of disc space and needing something more for the collection, or is this just wide spread fan speculation.

SerDuncan

Wasn't it confirmed or stated that KH0.2 was basically meant to be the prologe in KH3 and they made it it's own thing because of disc space and needing something more for the collection, or is this just wide spread fan speculation.

I keep seeing that everywhere, but I cannot find any sort of official statement that this is the case. If it was meant to be part of KH3, that would fix A TON of the issues that it has with pacing. Not all of them, but it would certainly make the opening more palatable.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I keep seeing that everywhere, but I cannot find any sort of official statement that this is the case. If it was meant to be part of KH3, that would fix A TON of the issues that it has with pacing. Not all of them, but it would certainly make the opening more palatable.

I think it was when it was said when the game was first announced in 2016, so I dunno where it would be anymore.

I agree it would have been better to just keep it for this game now though. My thing is more that Aqua's "arc" would feel better if she actually got to succeed at the beginning of the game at least lol. Also, the one fight as her would feel less jarring. Though I guess, they would have needed to make it optional or something? Forcing us to replay something we played 2 years ago would probably piss some people off.

SerDuncan

Speaking of jarring, I was going back to 0.2 to platinum the game and honestly... there are huge parts of that game I enjoy more than KH3. Like... what happened to the objectives system? That was fun, and made for some cool replayability. Where are the accessories, the ability to customize Sora's look? What happened to that gorgeous and unique level design, and the extra explorability of the worlds? While KH3 improves on 0.2 in a lot of other aspects... there's part of the Prologue I wish made it into the final game.

drew0512

Awards
Speaking of jarring, I was going back to 0.2 to platinum the game and honestly... there are huge parts of that game I enjoy more than KH3. Like... what happened to the objectives system? That was fun, and made for some cool replayability. Where are the accessories, the ability to customize Sora's look? What happened to that gorgeous and unique level design, and the extra explorability of the worlds? While KH3 improves on 0.2 in a lot of other aspects... there's part of the Prologue I wish made it into the final game.

Probably none of this would be in KH3 because those things were clearly made to pad the demo's lenght once they decided to sell it separately.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Probably none of this would be in KH3 because those things were clearly made to pad the demo's lenght once they decided to sell it separately.

Fair enough, but those were nice additions. I'd have loved a Objectives App on the Gummiphone, gives you more things to do post-game and helps you on your way to earning trophies.

Back