• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Any FF game I can try out first?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaijuguy19

Since I've first started to play the Kingdom Hearts series I'm beginning to get a good idea about the FF elements in the game so I wonder if I start to get into the FF game series are there any games you'd recommend me trying out first like some of the more acclaimed titles in the FF franchise?

Wilford111

Awards
I'd say try out FFVI or FFIX first... those are my favorite games anyway :p

If you want to know the characters that appear in the KH series, try out FFVII, FFVIII, and/or FFX.

Most people say FFVI or FFVII are the best in the series, so if you want a game that has the most relevance to the KH franchise I'd say maybe go with FFVII.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Eh, one of the advantages of the FF series is certainly that they (mostly) don't have interconnected storylines so you can possibly go for the titles you can easily afford depending on which consoles/systems you own first.
Big acclaimed (and the most successful) FF Titles have been VI, VII and X as far as I know.

It also depends a little on what you like in terms of battle systems as FF tends to have a great variety in that.
How you acquire and learn abilities tends to be also vastly different in each title, for example FF X has the sphere board while in FF IX you get abilities by learning it from equipment that your characters currently wear.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I always say Final Fantasy X. It was the first Final Fantasy game that I got into after falling in love with KH, and it served me well:)

The story's fantastic and has a lot of heart to it, the graphics are impressive for its time, the gameplay is very fun and innovative (and never gets old, in my opinion, because there are so many different things that you can do with it); and FFX's also just amazing for all that it did for the franchise: For example, Final Fantasy X was the first of the series to feature voice acting in it at all.

So my vote most definitely goes to X. :D The game is also helpful for newcomers, because it's one of the only ones in the series where you're playing a fish out of water--so you easily learn the story and the game's world as Tidus does--instead of just being thrust into it all, which is nice^^

Muke

whatever
Awards
I don't know if that was good or not, but I started with Type-0 HD. (yes, because of the demo lol)

Muke

whatever
Awards
How did you like it? Was Type-0 any good?
Meeeh. It was okay, really. But if I had to pick out the one thing I hate the most about T-0, it would be this SHITTY PAUSE MODE.
GOSH, if I am pressing the 'Start'-Button, which always stands for pausing the game, I want the game to actually friggin' PAUSE.
I just hate that the game is still running then.

But that's just my opinion~

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I don't know if that was good or not, but I started with Type-0 HD. (yes, because of the demo lol)

Type-0 is certainly an interesting title as it incorporates many elements from the older FFs into a neat package. It's not a part of the "main" Final Fantasy line though so it experiments with some stuff like for example Type-0 is much more brutal and bloody than any other FF title.

How did you like it? Was Type-0 any good?

Type-0 is a good title with very diverse and action-packed gameplay (you have 14 playable characters and each one plays vastly different), even in the HD Remaster though you can see its roots as a PSP game and the story is a little similarily hard to grasp at first like the KH series.
Type-0 is also geared towards multiple playthroughs to unlock all stuff and learn more about the story in unlocked extra missions and events.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Final Fantasy X is a good one if you wanna get used to their combat. I only played a bit of IX, and that's a good choice too.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Just a heads up, though, that the item "phoenix down" is how you revive fallen party members in any Final Fantasy game. I know that I had issues with that when I first got into the series, because I thought a cure spell or potion would make my characters conscious again--like it does for Donald and Goofy in KH--only to find that out that wasn't the case at all.

And not only that, but I had sold all my phoenix downs (not knowing what they were at first, and just assuming they were loot to sell, like the pretty stones from KH1), which was obviously a terrible idea on my part. So don't do anything like that when you start playing a Final Fantasy game. LOL.

Potions and cure spells heal your party members if they're not KO'd, but only phoenix downs--or spells like "Raise"--will revive them once they are:)

Pandymint

Awards
Lets see. From the classic FF Era, I'd say IV and VI are my favorites. I love all of the PSOne games (even VIII and it's stupid magic system and equipment system...) and I'm a VII fanboy, but I can't recommend IX enough. It's truly a gem obscured by the hype of its older brothers and being the different one visually. An amazing game nonetheless. X was the first one I played after KH back around 2003. Definitely the best of the ones on the PS2 in my opinion, has two of my favorite characters from the entire franchise in Auron and Jecht. XIII... Isn't terrible. XIII-2 is a huge improvement on that. Never played Lightning Returns, and Type-0 is a nice step away from the typical FF game.

Kaijuguy19

Thanks for the list so far guys. I'm thinking of trying out FFVII eventually anyway so I'm wondering if I should wait for the remake first since it'll likely make the story and gameplay not be aged as much.

Also in regards to FFX isn't that game panned by most critics like Spoony?

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Thanks for the list so far guys. I'm thinking of trying out FFVII eventually anyway so I'm wondering if I should wait for the remake first since it'll likely make the story and gameplay not be aged as much.

Also in regards to FFX isn't that game panned by most critics like Spoony?

I recommend playing the original game before the remake. The remake probably wont be even released in a looooooong time. Also there is this certain.... unique feeling that the original game has:
attachment.php

Trust me, even thou the graphics might be old, it is an adventure you want to experience! :D Big emotions, awesome characters and music, wonderful story and an really well crafted world.

Oh, FFX has some flaws and it is not a perfect game, but still very dear to me. I think the best way is usually experience things yourself.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Since I've first started to play the Kingdom Hearts series I'm beginning to get a good idea about the FF elements in the game so I wonder if I start to get into the FF game series are there any games you'd recommend me trying out first like some of the more acclaimed titles in the FF franchise?

[video=youtube;1GHCJJXqneU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GHCJJXqneU[/video]

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
[video=youtube;1GHCJJXqneU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GHCJJXqneU[/video]

Dam, I remember four years ago a friend of mine showed me this the first time and I was mesmerized by the beauty of VIII`s opening. I could not believe first that this was PS1 game. VIII has my favorite cutscene style. That moment when Squall get`s into the black car in the ceremony, epic!

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Dam, I remember four years ago a friend of mine showed me this the first time and I was mesmerized by the beauty of VIII`s opening. I could not believe first that this was PS1 game. VIII has my favorite cutscene style. That moment when Squall get`s into the black car in the ceremony, epic!

I remember getting the game because I wanted a new game. I got home not knowing what to expect but the moment that opening started. It was incredibly spellbinding. Final Fantasy 8 is my first ever and glad it was.

Antar

Awards
I would recommend my favorite FF game; Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, but it's not an actual numbered title so I don't know if you're okay with that. The gameplay is very different to all the other FF games but it's a ton of fun and it has an amazing story. But if you want a main series title I would recommend the first Final Fantasy. The simple gameplay and story is surprisingly a lot of fun and it's interesting to see the roots of the series. The game is old but there are really good remasters of it, like the GBA one or the PSP one.

WanPisu

Awards
Final Fantasy X should be a decent place to start. You have more modern graphics, making it easier to get into, and the traditional turn-based combat. Though it may be a bit more linear than other entries. A good blend of old and new. After that, you can go in any direction. I personally prefer the PS1-games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back