• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Any advice on preserving shedded skin?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

Hoo boy am i really going out there with this request, where to start with this.
Okay, here's my predicament,
A few days ago, my mother called me out to her garden for reassurance against the snakes that live in there. So we pull off the tarp to get ready and low and behold, there is a perfect shed of a snake skin just sitting there, waiting to be taken. So i do, i pick it up (with gloves of course) and dry it out in the sun because of it's sogginess. Initially, i believed that it was one of their earlier molts because of its size, but it was bunched up in the middle for some reason, exposing it's true length. The snake that it came back is an eastern ribbonsnake, a common sight along the east coast that is easily confused for a garter snake. We've been seeing a lot of them recently ever since i released one that found its way into a small jeep i owned as a kid, so i presume it's from the descendant of that one. So as of right now, it's dry and flat, but it needs to be cleaned and preserved, but I have no idea on how to do that. Any advice would help tremendously.

maxfieldstanton

Website
twitter.com
Helpful link: How to Preserve Snakeskins | Animals - mom.me

In my experience, we just let it dry out and sit and didn't have to preserve anything. I'd probably put it in a shadowbox or something just so it doesn't disintegrate so easily from exposure to air, etc. If it's super dirty, you might be able to just wash it off?

Everything else I'm finding is for taxidermy - like, the actual dead snake skin, not shedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back