• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Analysis of all KH logos so far

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larxene012

Banned
This is just a place to discuss design choices done so far in the KH series. Some of its strengths, which ones have been done beautifully, and which ones weren't done the best. I don't expect everyone to be a logo-designer major, but at least back up their points as to why certain logos work in the KH series.

Remember...its more than just saying you like, or dislike it, but telling others why you believe it works and why it doesn't.

Early titles: beautiful and elegant
Kingdom Hearts
http://fontmeme.com/images/Kingdom-Hearts-Logo.jpg
The first logo in the series, and the first one we've come to know. The first thing you see is the blue heart symbol with the iconic shaved-metal texture. One of the things that never returned is the bright gold crown at the top. The letters are big, and have a subtle gradient of light grey to dark grey all while still having a light. The letters are also complimented with a solid black border that fills in the gaps of the letters as well. Even for being the first logo ever, it still a very impactful logo, very colorful and distinguished.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...17/Kingdom_Hearts-_Chain_of_Memories_logo.jpg
For a sequel, it didn't change too much in the layout. the Letters are still big in shape. The heart this time is now in grey, which later seems to be the most common design for the heart in the series. There are still key differences, the shift from light to dark int he letters is more drastic (perhaps symbolizing in a subtle way riku and sora?). Another key difference is that the same shaved metal texture that is on the heart symbol in the background is also being used for the border of the letters (instead of the black we have seen so far). And to top it off, we also have the faded gold crown at the top that seems to be also reoccurring since. This logo doesn't look bad at all, and i originally thought the font of "Chain of Memories" was off, it quickly grew on me as i played it on the GBA pixelated screen.

Kingdom Hearts II
http://www.**********.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/KH2logo.jpg
This logo does break the mold just a bit. The letters don't splinter horizontally and more diagonal. As an addition, the letters are slightly smaller as the ending/beginning letter of each word (K, M, H and S) are now slightly smaller and closer to the size of the other letters. The roman numeral "2" is a gradient of deep blue to light blue and is slightly transparent complimenting the heart symbol behind. Its not so different, but it seems to want to highlight the Roman numeral more than anything else, which

Not-so-recent logos: welcomed changes to the design
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/f/fa/DaysLogo.png/revision/latest?cb=20140608042524
This logo is drastically different from prior logos in the series. the first thing you probably notice is that the K and the S curve and extend toward the middle and what seems to cradle the subtitle. The Heart is bright red that fades into a light orange, the letters have a solid light red border on top of a larger border that fades from dark red to black. This is most definitely a beautiful logo.

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...ep_Logo.png/revision/latest?cb=20111229164741
Another beautiful logo, just like 358/2 days the ends of the letters extend towards the middle in order to cradle the subtitle. It brings back the original grey heart symbol (from Chain of Memories and Kh2). Its easy to confuse 358/2 days' subtitle font with Birth by Sleep but they are different as you can see the "y" in both "Birth by Sleep" and "358/2 Days" are different. However, what i find slightly disappointing is how the gradient in the border of the letters are used. This gradient is has a close-to-black blue in the center and fades towards the outer area to light blue. This could also be impacted by how the letters as well just fade from light grey to white. It seems like a novel idea, but in the end nothing really grabs me with the logo as much as 358/2 days. (i still love the game more than 358/2 days). Its not an ugly logo though.

Kingdom Hearts coded
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130415144817/disney/images/c/c6/Kingdom_Hearts_coded_Logo_KHC.png
This logo i am completely indifferent about. this time the letters don't extend to cradle the subtitled, but it doesn't completely revert back to the original KH+COM style as they are still splintered diagonal instead of horizontal. However, it does bring back 358/2 Days' border as it shares that gradient (this time yellow instead of red). I'm not a huge found of Yellow, but its not trying to look ugly. Re:coded's font choice is better i will admit.

The latest logos: Questionable decisions

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/7/7a/KH3D_Dream_Drop_Distance.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20140608041926
This logo looks ok, the font is that of KH2, it some-what brings back Chain of Memories border fading into the heart. What doesn't make it exact is that the gradient goes dark and stops at the letters (instead of being part of the whole heart). A new addition is that the crown instead of being faded gold, it is now completely colorless (i'm not going to say whether its silver or platinum, but i doubt its platinum). There seems to be a bright white border which seems off as the Heart and border are already light grey. the Subtitle of the letters looks nice, but the 3D seems intrusive. Just like BBS, not an ugly logo...but not the best.

Kingdom Hearts (Unchained) X [chi]
http://www.guiltybit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/kingdom-hearts-chi.jpg
This logo is atrocious in my eyes. There is just to much going on and little to appreciate. Let me point out the good just so people know i'm being objective. The Heart looks beautiful. the teal-green look works really good. The idea of bringing back 358/2 days and BBS lettering so that the ends cradle the subtitle is also a good idea. But there are some serious sins going on in this logo. First, the gradient being used. Instead of fading vertically from light to dark, it does Birth by Sleep method with its border (but this time with the actual letters). Whats worst is that the gradient is drastic. It goes from light to black in an instance, making it harder to distinguish the inner letters. It tries to make up with it with a bright neon color around it but it also fades out. The X looks ugly. There is absolutely no need for two X's overlapping. This logo LITERALLY hurts me eyes when i look at it.

Unchained X does nothing different. It inverts the gradient making the center light (but the ends crazy dark). And whats worst the "Unchained" part looks off. Instead of appearing as "Unchained X" it looks like "X Unchained". I hope to god they fix this logo before release.

Kingdom Hearts III
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/e/ee/Kingdom_Hearts_III_Logo.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20130630220354I find it to be worst than Kingdom Hearts X logo. First off, lets analyze what the logo. The logo reverts back to the original vertical splinters rather than the diagonal ones seen in KH1+COM. Which seems like a downgrade. the diagonal were definitely better.

The gradient on the logo. Instead of slowly fading from dark to light vertically, the middle is white and gets darker at the ends. This isn't a huge problem but when you take account with everything else, it starts to become a problem. THe border of the letters, they are light blue but fade from white in certain areas. The iconic heart symbol from BBS+COM+kh2+kh3D has returned, but unfortunately covered by the giant Roman numeral 3.

Let me explain why the 3 doesn't work. We already have two levels of metal in the logo. The letters, and the heart. But now the 3 is metallic too, and its not close to resembling the logo nor the heart. Keep in mind that the roman numbera l 3 is also solid, unlike KH2's logo where it was slightly transparent and had color, the 3 is metallic, and fades into the background all while blocking the heart (rather than complimenting it). Lets also look with the design of the roman numeral 3. as you can see the bottom half of the roman numeral are splintered, but the upper half of the roman numeral don't match. the "I" at the ends are splintered diagnally, however the middle "I" is instead splinterred horrizontal (so the crown can rest on it), still however the diagonal splinters overshadow the middle, making it awkward to look at when you see it (and the crown not even sitting on it perfectly).

This kh logo does one thing worst that no other logo has done...it accomplishes in looking artificial. unlike any other logo, this one tries hard to add more gradiant, more metal and less color. granted, the most recent logos have done that, but thats no exxcuse for the second numbered game since kh2. the crown should at least have that bright gold to return, but it doesn't.

Last edited:
Awards
I'm going to comment on this more in depth later. But for now I'm just going to say:

1. This was already discussed at length
  2. This isn't neccesary
  3. This is a subjective discussion
  4. STAHPPIT

Also my contribution to this thread is to display all of the images. Preferably all at the same size linking to the image at the highest resolution you can find. I don't want to click on all of those links.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm going to comment on this more in depth later. But for now I'm just going to say:

2. This isn't neccesary
  4. STAHPPIT

Also my contribution to this thread is to display all of the images. Preferably all at the same size linking to the image at the highest resolution you can find. I don't want to click on all of those links.
Can you link the other analysis thread?

Larxene012

Banned
He's referring to the original where i only criticized KH3 logo (in which i still do) but this time, its not about "KH3 logo sucks, what do you think". this is a concrete discussion about other logos, what you feel about them, and which one you might think is the best/worst. And keeping it purely intelectual.

Larxene012

Banned

2. This isn't neccesary
  4. STAHPPIT

1. This time, i'm forcing people to really lay down their opinion on the logos. if they like kh3 logo. the discussion begs analysis on why it works. i dont care if you agree, but put some effort is all i ask.
2.You're not necessary.
3. Regardless, analysis on why a logo works would work best. At least its better than throwing titles and major studies around to prove a point.

I'm not going to show the images simply because it takes a lot of space. i'm sure you can click a link if you can type one word. if there is more demand for the logos to appear and no one minds large amounts of scrolling, and long wait time for images to load, then i will gladly change it.

ok sunny

Awards
I don't really mind the KHIII logo that much, but it did kind feel artificial. Though, it almost feels like KHII, but with just a roman numeral 3. The logo should have been a bit more reminiscent, like KHI as it's very nostalgic and easy to love with it's simplicity.

But out of all of the logos, I have the biggest problem with ReCoded because it seems like a regular KH logo with coded practically photoshopped onto the logo and some some random hue splashed over it. Same deal with DDD.

With all of the other logos I'm generally ok with. I think I do like KHI the best out of all of them. KHII and CoM come in a tie for 2nd. KHII 3rd, Days & Chi are 4th, and DDD and ReCoded are sadly last.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Ya want my opinion? Here it is:

I like them all. They all have a similar theme, but kind of like each's version of Dearly Beloved, they have their own little thing that makes them unique. Uh, besides the obvious different titles, I mean.

I like Days' the most, probably because the red-hued heart looks very different from the usual blue/grey color scheme and fits perfectly with that warm feeling a sunset gives. Twilight Town ftw.

As for certain logos not changing too much up, I think that's sometimes for the better. Change too much and the logo ends up looking very off or silly. Sometimes, it's better to keep things simple.

Larxene012

Banned
I don't really mind the KHIII logo that much, but it did kind feel artificial. Though, it almost feels like KHII, but with just a roman numeral 3. The logo should have been a bit more reminiscent, like KHI as it's very nostalgic and easy to love with it's simplicity.
I agree, the logo does feel artificial as there is no color being presented and only shades. my best bet is that they have been focused on presentation but not worrying how it will look on the box. IF you see the logo, the logo appears with the roman numeral three glowing with light and then slowly turning. but after that the effects fades instantly when you sit there and see it for 3 seconds.

I like them all. They all have a similar theme, but kind of like each's version of Dearly Beloved, they have their own little thing that makes them unique. Uh, besides the obvious different titles, I mean.

I like Days' the most, probably because the red-hued heart looks very different from the usual blue/grey color scheme and fits perfectly with that warm feeling a sunset gives. Twilight Town ftw.

As for certain logos not changing too much up, I think that's sometimes for the better. Change too much and the logo ends up looking very off or silly. Sometimes, it's better to keep things simple.

Its more about the analysis, which is great. I like how you analyzed 358/2 days logo (which is also my favorite regardless of being one my least favorite games).

So i'm curious as what you like about Kingdom Hearts X logo, and why its an over all good logo. i'm also curious as to KH3 logo and why for you it works. Because to me, the X logo literally hurts me eyes, and the kh3 logo, i just can't seem to shift my eye and have a clear focus.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I personally love all the logos, even though the KH3 one looks different, it's a pretty good logo in my opinion. The color is nice and the III in the back is superb. Only flaw it has is lacking the metal font.

Off-topic note: Let's hope this doesn't turn into an argument, as this isn't really an essential thing to argue over.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Logos are fine. It's like b*tching about a book cover being coffee colored instead of mocha, it's a useless argument unless someone has your exact opinion and/or infinite knowledge on the manner.

I will admit, I have no experience with graphics. I'm a Music Education major for Tuba and I have almost nothing to do with design, so I'll make no more comments on this thread.

But why don't we start a new thread about how kingdom hearts has no "of" in the middle of it anymore? Like, god, as soon as that was changed, I couldn't keep in my anger.

EDIT: Don't tell me my analysis of "fine" isn't detailed enough. We're not all individuals with fancy shmancy knowledge and interest in graphic design

Last edited:

Larxene012

Banned
I personally love all the logos, even though the KH3 one looks different, it's a pretty good logo in my opinion. The color is nice and the III in the back is superb. Only flaw it has is lacking the metal font.

Off-topic note: Let's hope this doesn't turn into an argument, as this isn't really an essential thing to argue over.
Like i said, i would love to hear more on how you think it works. not just "i like it"

The font is however, clearly metal. the border may be different, but it is metal. i believe there's too much metal. there is hardly color at all. But i'm not saying that out of an opinion. there is truly lack of color, the only color there is a faint of blue. And the majority of the logo is indeed "metal"

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Like i said, i would love to hear more on how you think it works. not just "i like it"

The font is however, clearly metal. the border may be different, but it is metal. i believe there's too much metal. there is hardly color at all. But i'm not saying that out of an opinion. there is truly lack of color, the only color there is a faint of blue. And the majority of the logo is indeed "metal"
I really have nothing else to say, it's really just a logo for the game as I see it.

Right, my mistake. I am just too used to the previous logos.

Awards
1. This time, i'm forcing people to really lay down their opinion on the logos. if they like kh3 logo. the discussion begs analysis on why it works. i dont care if you agree, but put some effort is all i ask.
2.You're not necessary.
3. Regardless, analysis on why a logo works would work best. At least its better than throwing titles and major studies around to prove a point.
I'll put in my fair share because it's always nice to discuss art. I just wanted to point out that it's subjective. Your opinion in a subjective setting is just as right as mine so to speak. Let's just not go into a debate of how logos are devolving or that depressing nonsense.

I'm not going to show the images simply because it takes a lot of space. i'm sure you can click a link if you can type one word. if there is more demand ofr the logos to appear and no one minds large amounts of scrolling, and long wait time for images to load, then i will gladly change it.

The reason I brought it up was because I like being able to compare the images side by side. Or look at the image and read someone's commentary below.

Awards
I've never been any good at art analysis, especially for things that don't have people in them, but I think I like birth by sleep and KHX's logos best. Those gradients make my heart jump.

I like the Days logo too, because its gradient reminds of the sunset, and looking back on the game, that's the feeling it wants you to get from it.

Ah, so since that's the reason for the gradient in days, were all the gradients chosen with the intent to give a certain feeling of an important part of the game? Like nostalia and sunsets in Days and the calming, sleepy feeling you get from BBS's?

The words on Kingdom Hearts in DDD's logo are kinda obtrusive looking, though.

Larxene012

Banned
I've never been any good at art analysis, especially for things that don't have people in them, but I think I like birth by sleep and KHX's logos best. Those gradients make my heart jump.

I like the Days logo too, because its gradient reminds of the sunset, and looking back on the game, that's the feeling it wants you to get from it.

Ah, so since that's the reason for the gradient in days, were all the gradients chosen with the intent to give a certain feeling of an important part of the game? Like nostalia and sunsets in Days and the calming, sleepy feeling you get from BBS's?

The words on Kingdom Hearts in DDD's logo are kinda obtrusive looking, though.
Days seems to have a lot of agreeing factors. but no one seems to want to analyze the other ones. i dont mind that you enjoy them, butit would be great if we got more.

What do you mean that the gradient makes your heart jump?

I'll put in my fair share because it's always nice to discuss art. I just wanted to point out that it's subjective. Your opinion in a subjective setting is just as right as mine so to speak. Let's just not go into a debate of how logos are devolving or that depressing nonsense.
thats sort of the gist of it. but like i said, the point is to analyze and show others why you feel the way you feel. truly look at the entire logo for what it is and why you see it in a positive or negative way.

The reason I brought it up was because I like being able to compare the images side by side. Or look at the image and read someone's commentary below.
to avoid the very thing you dread for (the discussion of devolving logos) then you are better off just discussing one logo at a time, and not compare.

Awards
Days seems to have a lot of agreeing factors. but no one seems to want to analyze the other ones. i dont mind that you enjoy them, butit would be great if we got more.

What do you mean that the gradient makes your heart jump?
I'll try to think of more to say, but I'm not really an expert at art analysis. Give me a bit.

As for what I mean by making my heart jump... I dunno, it's hard to put it into words. The way the words meet in the middle and rest on the tails of K and S. The way the light blue and teal clash against the black and grey. It's just so striking and moving to me.

I'm not actually a big fan of the original KH1 logo. It's nice, but it doesn't have the snake in K and S that I love in the others. It's pretty plain. Nothing jumps out at me. That's not to say I don't like it --I do. It gets across its message and it's straightforward, just like the first game it. It's a nice blend of colors.

Chain of Memories has too much contrast behind Kingdom Hearts and Chain of memories, imo, but I like how the Chain of Memories words match the crown. The KH itself is white and grey, just as castle oblivion was. That logo really gives a "Castle Oblivion" feeling.

The KH2 logo is pretty and sorta metallic, and I like how the heart fades into the II. The metallic thing it has going on may be a call to the Kingdom Key, I guess? idk. In the same vein, I like how the KH3 logo takes that metallic, hard edge and takes it further. It makes me excited for what we'll see.

Coded's logo has the nice yellow to black gradient, which is a pretty common mix. Not sure what it's supposed to allude to, though. But I like it.

So I guess, from my most to least favorite logo, it would go:
1. BBS
2. X
3. Days
4. 3
5. 2
6. Coded
7. 1
8. DDD
9. CoM

Larxene012

Banned
I'll try to think of more to say, but I'm not really an expert at art analysis. Give me a bit.

As for what I mean by making my heart jump... I dunno, it's hard to put it into words. The way the words meet in the middle and rest on the tails of K and S. The way the light blue and teal clash against the black and grey. It's just so striking and moving to me.
To me, when i look at it, it gives me a headache. I dont mind contrast, but the black to white makes it harder for me to appreciate the letters, especially since the teal border isn't 100%. The contrast is way too much for me with this logo and i personally feel uneven. I like the second transparent "X" but the white one seems unnecessary.

I'm not actually a big fan of the original KH1 logo. It's nice, but it doesn't have the snake in K and S that I love in the others. It's pretty plain. Nothing jumps out at me. That's not to say I don't like it --I do. It gets across its message and it's straightforward, just like the first game it. It's a nice blend of colors.
i'm surprised you say that because this is the second logo that has full of color. Perhaps the color just doesn't draw your interest and its more about the contrast. but then again, you said this about another logo...
Chain of Memories has too much contrast behind Kingdom Hearts and Chain of memories, imo, but I like how the Chain of Memories words match the crown. The KH itself is white and grey, just as castle oblivion was. That logo really gives a "Castle Oblivion" feeling.
i can see that.
The KH2 logo is pretty and sorta metallic, and I like how the heart fades into the II. The metallic thing it has going on may be a call to the Kingdom Key, I guess? idk. In the same vein, I like how the KH3 logo takes that metallic, hard edge and takes it further. It makes me excited for what we'll see.
I "REALLY" like that about the KH logo, how the II and the heart work together to stick out.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I like the KH3 one, but I'd like it way more if the blue was gone from the text and it was all black and white. The blue sticks out in a lame way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back