- Dec 21, 2012
An Extremely Extensive KH3 Disney World Predictions/Analysis for 2017
After such a long wait for substantial Kingdom Hearts news, finally some new information regarding world decisions has come. Some of this new information is info that turns a few criteria I made back in my original Disney World analysis rendered null. And thanks to Pixar being added to the equation, my prediction list has gone through many changes. Today, I will share this new prediction list with you all, I firmly believe this is what is going to happen in terms of Disney worlds:
Confirmed Disney Worlds:
- Mount Olympus (Hercules)
- Kingdom of Corona (Tangled)
- San Fransokyo (Big Hero 6)
- Andyâ€™s Room (Toy Story)
Here is everything we know about how Nomura chooses worlds for Kingdom Hearts 3, thanks to Audo for all of the information. With recent information about KH3 this year, some information has been changed:
- There will be worlds made for story purposes.
- Wants to include a fair number of surprising worlds in KH3.
- There are certain restrictions and rules to using Marvel/LucasArts that Disney would have to go through.
- Are not limited to films released prior to development, allowed to consider films being created by Disney in the future, some future Disney films are already being considered. (at the time of the interview, July 2013)
- For worlds that previously appeared in the KH franchise and newer worlds, locations/visuals will be different from the previous appearance, locations never experienced before.
- In regards to the amount of worlds in KH3, it will be a little less than KH2, however the content available to play in each will be a lot richer.
- The focus on worlds is more on newer Disney titles rather than having a mix of classic Disney and new Disney films.
- Each world is filled with richer detail than the last game. (I speculate this means worlds that provide less world detail provided in their film will be lower on the priority list, recent CG Disney animated films have expanded their worlds in sheer detail)
- Every world has their own look/feel, almost like designing a whole new game with each world. Nomura comments that itâ€™s tough work. (I speculate this means that worlds canâ€™t overlap each other in terms of theme/story to avoid repetition)
As I suspected with this new information, newer Disney films will be getting more focus for world additions in KH3. The statement is very evident with worlds like Tangled and Big Hero 6. There are MANY recent Disney films that helped make Disney as one of the reigning movie companies again, enough to equal the amount of worlds included in KH2.
My opinion on Marvel/LucasArts remains the same, although Iâ€™m a little more open to the idea due to Pixar allowing their properties to get in KH3. However, I still feel that Marvel/LucasArts worlds are too expansive to be included. I have covered on how these properties could be implemented in this thread here, I see Marvel/LucasArts properties being used as cameos rather than full-on worlds for now.
For returning worlds, I believe there are just a few worlds left that have more to explore in terms of story. Some worlds like Nightmare Before Christmas, Pinocchio, and Snow White have already fully explored their story and do not need to be added in KH3. On the contrary, there are veteran worlds that have more to expand in terms of story, and that is due to those particular Disney IPs having sequels.
In addition to this:
-I also believe that having an very interesting environment design and story is the key factor for Nomura to consider the world in the game.Every recent Disney flick I have seen has very interesting enough environments and stories to make it into KH3.
-Due to this focus on newer films, I believe that older Disney films that have never got the world treatment will have a less likely chance to be included.
-I will not be covering original worlds, since it is difficult to predict what the story will unfold into. Obviously, I bet there will be one original world made for the end game. As for the name, I have no clue.
-I am not one who fully understands the entire KH story, so I apologize if I make any small mistakes.
Since this game is supposedly having less Disney worlds than KH2, Iâ€™ve done my best to limit the amount of worlds to at least 11 (Since there were 12 Disney worlds in KH2). Since we already have Hercules, Big Hero 6, Toy Story, and Tangled confirmed, that would leave us off to 7 worlds remaining. With that said, I also included a list of other potential candidates that could get in too. I wonâ€™t rate them in terms of chance this time. I will list them as guarantees or potential candidates, from most prioritized to least prioritized. Note: this doesnâ€™t mean they are less likely, it just means theyâ€™d be less of a priority. In terms of candidates, I believe these less prioritized worlds were planned for the game, but due to time constraints, they could not appear. Letâ€™s get started:
7 Remaining Worlds that I Feel are Guaranteed to Appear:
- Arendelle (Frozen): Again, this is STILL the most OBVIOUS choice for Nomura to pick in KH3. You already know that it is one of Disneyâ€™s successful animated films in years, everybody knows Frozen at this point and adding the world will make a huge selling point for KH3 to sell extremely well. There are really no negatives to say about Frozen, the world is like an angel waiting to descend in the building of Square Enix, destined to be in KH3. I will say that we will see an original story for Frozen, basing around the Elsaâ€™s problem with controlling her powers yet again, the story taking place after the first Frozen movie. With how there are Frozen shorts and a sequel coming, thereâ€™s no way this world can be left out.
- Islands of Ohana (Lilo and Stitch): I have changed my opinion on the chances of Lilo and Stitch. After much thought, I feel since this is the end of Soraâ€™s arc in Kingdom Hearts, it wouldnâ€™t be fair to leave out Lilo and Stitch without having their relationship and story develop in their respective world in Hawaii. Stitch's cameo in KH2 and Deep Space being in Birth By Sleep help foreshadow a Lilo and Stitch world in Kingdom Hearts 3. Iâ€™d be extremely surprised if they left it out for a world like Moana. Whether it will be an original story or that it will follow the film, we will have to see as it can go either way. I would like to think of this as a returning world rather than a new one, since Lilo and Stitch has been used before in BBS, itâ€™s just that the Hawaii part of L&S hasnâ€™t been explored yet.
- Game Central (Wreck-it-Ralph): One of Disneyâ€™s successful animated films of the recent era, I feel this world is guaranteed to be in due its unique world of being based on video-games. The idea of Sora delving into the video game world is just an extremely unique idea that I feel will be added in KH3. I would like to reiterate licensing video game characters for the world wonâ€™t be a problem, as there are many original video game characters made for the film that would give the world enough depth. Really the remaining question is whether they will do an original story or not, it can go either way. The original story does leave a lot of interesting chemistry for Sora and Ralph to develop, but a new story can work as well.
- 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh): Honestly, I see this appearing yet again for the final time. I feel that there will be a mini-game based world yet again, and there is no other candidate that would fit that perfectly than Winnie the Pooh. The reason I feel this could happen is that there is more material to work with in Winnie the Pooh, such as the 2011 film and introducing Christopher Robin. I definitely feel Winnieâ€™s and Soraâ€™s relationship story is not done, and I can see it appearing one last time before they move on to newer worlds in future titles.
- Treasure Planet (Treasure Planet) or Port Royal (Pirates of the Caribbean): Why did I choose between two worlds for this choice. It is because they share a similar theme of pirates. Both have lots of positives and negatives going for them, which I will cover. I feel that now Treasure Planet has a great chance is because Roy Conli is closely involved with KH3 development. Even though his film has bombed, I feel through negotiation and with the assets found in Dream Drop Distance that closely resemble visuals from Treasure Planets, it has me feeling that Treasure Planet could be included in KH3. This world also works with the criteria of Nomura wanting to surprising picks for Disney worlds. On the contrary, I believe Port Royal could also be in due to the amount of potential story material included in the movie sequels, it is one of Disneyâ€™s most marketed properties. There is A LOT of story to work with that Nomura has and I feel the relationship story with Sora and Jack Sparrow has further exploration to be discovered. Yet with the pirate theme for both of these properties, I feel only one can be chosen. Itâ€™s up to Nomura to see which has more potential.
- New Orleans (Princess and the Frog)- Another recent film I definitely see getting in with its success and how the film became Disneyâ€™s turning point in making Disney animated films again. It is also the last 2D animation film to come to theaters before animated CG was the main focus. The New Orleans tone this world would provide would make for a unique place to explore in-depth. I think for this particular world, the story will remain the same.
- Oz (Oz the Great and Powerful)- One of the surprise and riskier picks I still chose to include in Kingdom Hearts 3 for a live action world. This recent Disney film managed to pull a decent success in the box office, enough to have a sequel. The world of Oz is a place that I feel would be very fun to explore, itâ€™s one of the most classic, unique places youâ€™d meet in literature ever. The recent film really expanded on the world of Oz with its CG visuals, that made me think this place would be a great choice for Nomura to include. Normally, I would have included films like Tomorrowland, John Carter, or Lone Ranger for a live action pick, but I feel due to their lack of box office success, I feel they will not be considered at all in KH3.
Candidates for additional new Disney worlds:
I would like to think of these as candidates that could get in, but I feel with priority issues, they wonâ€™t be included even though these worlds have a lot of material to explore and have a lot going for them. Most of these films are huge box office successes and I would not surprised if Nomura added one of these worlds, but I would not be surprised if they were excluded either.
- Agrabah (Aladdin) - I have to be honest here, I was interchanging between Oz and Agrabah many times while making this analysis. The main reason for this is because there is more Aladdin that has yet to be explored with Aladdinâ€™s third film King of Thieves. I feel the story between Sora and Aladdin has not reached a conclusion, and I would not be surprised to see appear one last time before we move away from Agrabah in future titles. On the other hand, I would not be surprised if this world was less-prioritized because Nomura mentioned that the majority of the world lost will be new worlds. And I feel at minimum, weâ€™ll be getting 100 Acre Wood and Port Royal again. As for how this relates to Oz and choices, I chose that world as a surprise pick for a new world based on the statement on focusing on adding newer Disney IPs to KH3 instead of older IPs. Iâ€™d argue both have a nearly equal chance, but I feel in the end, Oz would be prioritized over Agrabah to go for a fresh world. I wouldnâ€™t be surprised if both get added, but that would be more than the number of worlds Nomura told us to expect in the recent interview (Since there are 12 worlds in KH2).
- Symphony of the Sorcery (Fantasia 2000) - Another world I could see happening. This world would be MOST APPROPRIATE for Kairiâ€™s Mark of Mastery exam if Kairi were to be playable. Nomura has mentioned that there would second playable character in KH3, and I would not be surprised if this world was utilized for Kairi and her playable part in the game. In an interview about Dream Drop Distance with Nomura, he originally wanted to include both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 for Sora and Riku respectively. But this was never done, I can see this idea being utilized again in KH3. This could be prioritized for Kairiâ€™s story, or it may be out due to time constraints, or maybe Kairi will train in an original world instead, which is why I placed this lower.
- Another Pixar World (Monsters Inc. (Monsters Inc.)/Sydney Sea (Finding Nemo)/Ant Island (A Bugs Life))- In consideration with the criteria of having less worlds than KH2 and the amount of important recent Disney films that should be added, I feel the likelihood of another Pixar world is low and that Toy Story will be the only Pixar world in KH3. BUT, I would not be surprised if they added more Pixar worlds in the game, but as a precaution, I feel the ones that will be prioritized will be the older Pixar IPs that are extremely popular, which includes Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, and Bugs Life. I would have included Incredibles here if it were not the fact that it would overlap the superhero theme Big Hero 6 has in KH2. Monsters Inc. would be the most prioritized for a 2nd Pixar world since I feel thereâ€™s a lot of interesting ways you could implement the unique closet transport doors. Sydney Sea would act as a great replacement for Atlantica for an underwater world. And Bugâ€™s Life, though I feel this would be less prioritized due to its themes being similar to Toy Story somewhat with becoming smaller entities, but who knows, the idea of Sora and friends becoming a bug is still a very unique idea. I would not be surpised if two or more of these get in too.
- Jungle (Jungle Book)- The reason I only include this is because this world was seemingly originally planned to be in Birth by Sleep based on the map assets and that it is one of the remaining classic Disney IPs yet to be added in KH. It is a jungle-based world that would be a unique addition to KH3 and would also be a good replacement for the Tarzan world that unfortunately had to be left out in future KH due to rights issues. The reason I prioritize lower than the other candidates is that this world is a classic Disney IP. Since the world focus has shifted to newer IPs, I have a feeling Jungle Book be lower in priority yet again.
- Land of the Wind (Pocahontas)- Like Jungle Book, this is one of the remaining classic Disney IPs yet to be added in KH. The reason for this world be lower than Jungle Book is because of the lack of any sign of being planned in any KH title. The world definitely has the unique atmosphere and the box office success going for it, but not much more than Jungle Book I feel.
- Zootopia (Zootopia)- My perspective has drastically changed for Zootopia, and itâ€™s really unfortunate. Since it has been confirmed that Big Hero 6 was the last recent world added in KH3 (BH6 came out in 2014), itâ€™d be natural to assume that Zootopia has less of a chance to get in. You could argue that Zootopia has evidence with the promotion of the film in Kingdom Hearts UX, but so did Moana as well. I feel Zootopia and Moana were in that mobile game solely to promote the films back in 2016. HOWEVER, the reason I still have this here is because its world is one of the most imaginative places Iâ€™ve seen Disney create. A city where animals act like human society divided into sections to fit an animals climate/body temperature with a story about two detectives trying to solve crimes. I feel the genius of this world could be enough for Nomura to add it in last minute. But I sort of doubt it now.
How do I feel about my predictions personally? Itâ€™s different than what you expect. I personally think that while I feel this set of guaranteed world predictions are great world choices to explore, the lack of anymore surprise worlds does upset me a bit. I loved the unexpected additions like Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean, Nightmare Before Christmas in the early titles, but with the possibility of just having one new surprise world, I feel the overall likely KH3 world list lacks that a certain punch of real variety to it. Nomura has said he wanted to include many surprise worlds in KH3, but that direction may have changed as time passed on to focus on newer Disney animated films. But you know what, thatâ€™s ok.
The worlds that I have listed are films that I do want to explore so much, I may in the end just be too greedy and too unrealistic. My last world prediction list had over 30 new worlds in it, and I realize that the dev team reaching that is a dream far away with how much time each world is spent to offer rich world quality. Now that I understand how the world selection and development process works for KH titles. Would I have wanted more worlds?
Absolutely, but we have to understand the criteria Nomura has given to us to help to set some realistic expectations and not overhype KH3 if the final products has a world amount thatâ€™s unsatisfactory to those hyping the game too high. Not only did I make this prediction list for the love I have for KH3 and the enjoyment of speculation, but to help you guys with not raising the bar too high for the overall game of KH3. Even if there is world DLC announced for this game and Nomura and the team are prepared for such an task, still, keep the expectations low.
The journey to becoming a passionate KH fan has lead to this, and I feel very firm about my predictions here. Do keep in mind I donâ€™t see this as absolute fact, and keep in mind that I could very well be wrong. Do you agree with my predictions? Are there any changes you would suggest? Let me know, Iâ€™m open for discussion and Iâ€™m in the mood to discuss Kingdom Hearts with you fans again after a year long hiatus in KHInsider. Hope you enjoyed reading this!