• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one who LIKES DDD?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
So, yeah. I just want to spread some positivity. And I want to discuss some stuff! (dry season) :p

DDD was... extraordinary.
It basically changed everything. The plot, the characters, gameplay, etc.

I noticed that a lot of you guys don't like DDD. (Or what it changed)
You know, I kinda do. I like the new time travel thingy. I love the gameplay!

So...
What do you like about DDD? [Please don't tell us what you don't like.]

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I liked DDD (can't wait to play it on my PS4). I like anything that comes out from the Osaka development team, actually (BbS, Re: coded and DDD). xD I like how massive the worlds were so that we could abuse the Flowmotion, but some worlds felt barren in the sense that they lacked enough human presence. One of the classic examples is how there is a crowd watching Quasimodo ride a Dream Eater, but when the fight starts, they just disappear. :O Granted, that could have been due to the technical limitations of the 3DS, and I don't expect them to correct this issue in the PS4 re-release of DDD, but hopefully they learned this lesson and decide to do something about this in KH3 and any subsequent releases of KH.

As to the aspect of adding time-travel: I'm indifferent. The return of Ansem SoD and Xemnas could have been handled without the need to recurring on time-travel, but to bring Young Xehanort to present time could have been a tad difficult.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I love DDD. I found the combat oh so satisfying and the different combinations of Dream Eaters was excellent with utilising different play styles for different parts of the game. Plus playing as Riku was just amazing. They really got his and Aqua's play styles right.

I think Flowmotion was one of the greatest additions to the Kingdom Hearts series and I love just flying through the worlds using it, from bouncing off the walls in Traverse Town to spinning on poles in the Grid. It's just fantastic.

I enjoyed the plot a lot. They were movie rehashes but Sora and Riku felt much more involved with the world than in other games such as Kingdom Hearts 2 where they just observed what was happening.

While the time travel is confusing I certainly enjoyed the worlds a lot more than I have in previous entries, and they were just so large. I remember getting so frustrated because I couldn't find a row of treasures in the Country of Musketeers level because they were just so spread out.

What do you like about DDD? [Please don't tell us what you don't like.]
While it's important to have a proper discussion from both sides to get perspective on what people did and didn't like, I'm inclined to agree with this. We have a lot of DDD bashing threads and anyone against the game can just post in there.

But, to foster discussion, I would have to say well thought out posts about some of the negative parts shouldn't go astray and should be welcome. I'll probably just delete any drive by hot belgian waffles posts that are just "I hate this" without any explanation or deep and thoughtful insight.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i absolutely loved DDD. i'll preach about it into the sunset and back, from the art, the worlds, flowmotion [screeches while bouncing into infinity], the deck commands, dream eaters in combat, it was all superbly done.

i never paid much attention to the story when i first played which i regret haha, but the atmosphere was incredible. from fantasia to tron legacy, each world felt distinctive and true to the movie which they were based upon.

i could talk about flowmotion all day but i'll just sum it up as, there is really no feeling quite like picking apart a crowd with one of those moves. i think they really got s hang of using the deck commands as.well, my only regret is that they (probably) won't be back for III.

AND THE MUSIC HOLY HOT BELGIAN WAFFLES. the music was the best the series has ever seen, from cover to cover. dearly beloved, each world [rips off shirt to reveal traverse town tattoo] and boss encounter, it manages to be the most kingdom hearts-y, yet different. yoko did a superb job.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
AND THE MUSIC HOLY HOT BELGIAN WAFFLES. the music was the best the series has ever seen, from cover to cover. dearly beloved, each world [rips off shirt to reveal traverse town tattoo] and boss encounter, it manages to be the most kingdom hearts-y, yet different. yoko did a superb job.
Mmmm yes. You just reminded me of something I absolutely adore which is the musical sound effects in the Symphony of Sorcery world. It's inclusion was just magical and unexpected and it added a layer of depth unseen in an of the previous worlds before it. It's just utter genius and I can't wait to experience that through my Playstation Headset later this year

Muke

whatever
Awards
While it's important to have a proper discussion from both sides to get perspective on what people did and didn't like, I'm inclined to agree with this. We have a lot of DDD bashing threads and anyone against the game can just post in there.
Which is why I created this Thread. I'm sick of all the bashing of DDD. Let's get some positivity. :p
I'll probably just delete any drive by hot belgian waffles posts that are just "I hate this" without any explanation or deep and thoughtful insight.
Thanks, would be very appreciated. :)

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I really loved this game too. The first time I played it, the only other games I'd played myself were Days and Re:Coded, so the standards those two had set for me were completely blown out of the water by DDD. I've played it so many times, I lost count. Others have already mentioned the major reasons why I enjoyed it a lot, but I'll summarize: purple-glow parkour, god-tier music, Critical Mode, Riku, TWEWY, killing things to the tune of Tchaikovsky, everything that goes down in TWTNW, killing Xemnas, Spirits.

Yeah, the game had its awkward moments that I'll often skip through. Sora, for most of the game, took that "idiot action hero" trope up to eleven. And time travel... While I don't hate it as much as everyone else, it definitely was not the best way to explain everything. It just created more questions and problems than it answered or solved, and I've seen a LOT of headcanons that worked much better than the official explanation. Joining this forum made me acutely aware of everyone else's grievances, too.

But you know what? I still enjoy playing that game. The music's so memorable that I can hum just about any tune from memory. The combat is a mad hack-and-slash whirlwind. The story's good in that confusing, messy KH way that I expected.

So yeah. I'm good with this game. :D

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I do like DDD a lot. Despite it's flaws it is still my third favorite KH game. I like poking my dream eater buddies and they were sometimes really helpful in battle, too. Especially Majik Lapin and Lord Kyroo. Absolute bros. Healing was even more on point than Donald's. The worlds are really good too, I love the new Traverse Town areas and Symphony of Sorcery was just beautiful. While I was hoping for more face to face Sora & Riku interactions, what we got in Riku's ending was really good and balanced out… well, Sora's ending. But I did enjoy the Xemnas fight, it was easy sure, but fun. I loved pretty much all of Riku's ending and the dive into Soras heart, the Ventus Nightmare was a fun boss and the mood was amazing. Also music. Just amazingly good.

While the ability system was a bit tricky, it did allow me to kind of customize my character to the direction I wanted to, which I really like and hope that they'll take further in KH3. The bosses are super aggressive and on critical I actually had to think about my ability choices and what to prioritize.

All in all DDD is a good game, and KH3 can still improve on the weaker plot stuff indroduced in it. Oh yeah, and the opening cinematics are absolutely gorgeous 10/10 my favorite KH opening. Cri everitime.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
No, you're not the only one. I LOVED 3D. My favorite entry in the series since KH1 and CoM. I know some disliked the time travel mess, but I guess I have given up completely on the original story, so I just enjoyed the voice acting and the fact that Riku/Sora got quite a lot of screentime again. The environments were enormous, flow-motion was fun and added to the exploration imo, and the bosses were actually challenging again. The Dream Eaters didn't bother me, but that might be because I grew up in an age of Neopets, Digimon and Pokemon...

It wasn't perfect, but better than I'd come to expect from KH at that point. Only thing I didn't like was the command deck.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I'll not even bother explaining why DDD is my fav KH game. It simply is. I loved it all. It had so many things added, I really took my time to cuddle with my Dream Eaters as well as be a killer fighter using Flowmotion, all this with splendid 3D effect at max (it took my eyes a while to get along with the 3DS, but darn it's so worth it)
DDD's music is the best in the series IMO. Also The World Ends With You. And also beautiful development of Riku, as well as bringing Sora down from the "I'm simply invincible" status. Yup, the Hero of Light CAN fall. It makes the character so much more human and the story so real in terms of feeling. But even if the Hero fell, he was saved and he still is the Key. He, just like everyone, has to learn, but oh, he first had to learn that he still has a lot to learn.
And just the quote that I didn't understood at first, "Darkness becomes light, light falls into darkness". After you play the game you sooooo get what it means.
Freakin' The World That Never Was. When I arrived there, I got a feeling I didn't feel like in centuries, that design of the City, using Flowmotion in THAT. CITY. And that field music theme. Just... breathtaking.
Also the menu art and Dearly Beloved.

This game truly entertained my mind of so many levels. I know I used simple, stupid language in the reply of mine to vaguely describe it, but I feel so connected to this game, I began to feel for KH and its characters even more, so much more after I played DDD, I feel like... it's useless to try to prove my feelings through a reply now...
I'll just hug my Keeba Tiger and Me Me bunny and sleep in Traverse Town... I don't want anything else... I love this game, I am attached to it forever.

also my reply is crappy because I just returned from university, yes, it's past 10 PM here and didn't eat for like 12 hours
but I love DDD too much to just ignore this thread

*edit* forgot to say that DDD also got my fav keyblade: End of Pain. Symbollically, it's so perfect for the series at that point of its timeline, I can't even

TheKnightWolf

I found it to be the best spinoff of the series. It had KH2 elements perfectly balanced with the Birth by Sleep elements. Both happen to be my favorite main games. The dream eaters were a nice addition. Sure it doesn't beat having disney characters fighting along side you for me, but many were pretty cool and helpful in their own right. The story, while making things make more sense at the same time more confusing, was pretty good as well. Many of the disney worlds were fun to see, and still surprised we even got Tron continuity. Also, adding summaries for past games in there was a brilliant move. People who would be new to the series would be able to catch up with what's going on through this game alone.

Also this game taught me a valuable lesson. Xehanort is TOO smart!

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Tron continuity... OH! Right!

I'll be honest. I don't care much for the Tron worlds, both The Grid and Space Paranoids. The Grid bothered me mostly because everything was monochrome and same-ish looking, so I would get lost very easily. BUT. I have to admit, story-wise it was probably the best of the Disney worlds for Sora. I can only imagine how the gears in Nomura's head were spinning when he saw Legacy... how would Sora react to Tron turning into something like Rinzler? The resulting story is the closest we've gotten to KH1 levels of originality in a while. It acknowledges past events, adds a bit to the history, and uses those events unique to go in a different direction than the movie plot. AND IT DOESN'T GO WITH A TIDY, HAPPY ENDING. Gotta give it props for that.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
3D was okay. My biggest problem with it was probably the fact I had to play it on a 3DS and Sora's stupidity.
I also did not really care for the story too much even though I know it's rather important, especially the ending.

The gameplay is okay though (even though somewhat too easy) and Riku's story was tolerable. It was fun seing him be "the good guy" for once. The ability system was a little "meh", cause I had to google a lot dream eaters to get their full potential (and my favorite ability, Vanish). The flowmo was okay, but I'd say....boring in most of the worlds.
Worlds were okies as well. I mean, wtf, no Agrabah? That rocks my socks. Symphony of Sorcery was a very cool idea, the way music was implemented and such. My favorite world was The Grid though, but I can't say I ever understood where I had to go, lol.

I dunno, the game wasn't bad and woah, did I love playing with my dream eaters (tfw you finally collected the necessary materials for your favorite spirit <3). It's neither my favorite nor least favorite game of the series. I can't say I burst at the thought of playing it again on the PS4, but at least I get to see HD Riku (and let's not forget the two seconds of HD Vanitas! ♥ ahhh ).

Hand to Hand also might as well be my favorite version of Hand in Hand since the Original KH1 version. The music overall wasn't bad either.

I gotta say though. I understand anyone who does not like the game and I, myself, have trouble playing through Sora's path without shaking my head at his stupidity :X

I'd also prefer critical mode to be available on the first playthrough in the HD version D: I want the challenge of only having shitty dream eaters and no abilities, WOOHOO.

Rexy

Bronze Member
I really love DDD also. The only thing I don't really like is the commands not leveling up like BbS (gameplay wise). I love all the rest.

I love the dream eaters and the fact that the spirits can cast spells to you, like haste, bravery and stuff like that. Having them beeing able to cast Faith and strong magics I really love the idea.

I hope Donald and Goofy can cast more spells in KH3. Donald is like a white and black mage (comparing to ff), so I would love Goofy to cast some defensive spells like protect and shell and stuff like that (I know that Goofy is not a magician but since the spells are protective I think it makes alittle sense :p). That or beeing able to costumize the caracters like FFXII xD well, i'm going out of topic :p

I really loved the dream eaters, just wanted to not have all the flowmotion abilities from the get go :p

Derpcannonz

I liked the combat system and story and how you could mix/match commands like in BBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back